China Analysis Digest aggregates and lists new China-related analyses. Thanks to Katharina Ni for the magic (codes) that makes this series possible.
- Date range: August 13-19, 2021
- Sources scanned: 86
- Content: 211 publications from 47 sources
- Download raw data (.csv)
The email form of this post may be clipped due to length. Click on “View entire message” at the bottom to see it in full. To view in browser, click here.
- China’s Publishing Industry: Past as a Mirror to the Present
- The Chinese Civil War: the peril of mobilization
Made in China Journal:
China Media Project:
- Beijing’s Approach to Trustworthy AI Isn’t So Dissimilar from the World’s
- What If Chinese Leaders Were on LinkedIn?
War on the Rocks:
- A Thorough Explanation of China’s Long-Term Strategy
- Mind the Gap: How China’s Civilian Shipping Could Enable a Taiwan Invasion
- China’s Silos: New Intelligence, Old Problems
- Xinhua Infiltrates Western Electronic Media, Part 2: Relationships with News Agencies and Distribution Services
- Expanding China’s Central Asia Playbook to Afghanistan
- ‘Lips and Teeth’: The Enduring China-North Korea Relationship
- China’s New Biosecurity Law Gives Limited Insight into Government Priorities and Next Steps
- In Sierra Leone, a Chinese port-building plan raises ire
- How Chinese factory-workers express their views on life
- A Chinese airport project in Zanzibar floundered. Here’s what the new G-7 infrastructure plan can learn.
- Has Japan’s policy toward the Taiwan Strait changed?
Australian Financial Review:
- China’s new silos: Nuclear arms control more urgent than ever
- Economic diplomacy: Burning down the house
East Asia Forum:
- Taiwan invasion doesn’t hang in the military balance
- Australia’s luck in handling Chinese trade coercion
- China’s quiet diplomacy behind the ‘wolf warriors’
- US–China rivalry needs more clarity and less polarity
- Beijing hasn’t sunk the Hong Kong financial ship yet
Pearls and Irritations:
- How Manners Matter to Chinese Diplomat Fu Ying
- The Long, Lonely Struggle With a Schizophrenic Son
- Falling in Love With China’s Most Risqué — and Risky — Genre
- Plugging the Hole in China’s Disaster Recovery Budget
- A ‘Yellow Miracle’: How a Sprinter Became a Racial Icon
- China’s Master of Fireworks on the Art of the Explosion
- For China’s ‘Traffic Stars,’ a Sudden Crash
- The Nonbinary Chinese Fighting to Live Their Truth
- The Lasting Trauma of China’s Wenchuan Earthquake Survivors
China Digital Times:
- Is Getting Rich Still Glorious? Xi Targets Wealth Inequality
- Alibaba #MeToo Case Shines Light On Toxic Corporate Cultures
- Word of the Week: “Taliban in Spirit”
- The Historical Nihil-list: Cyberspace Administration Targets Top Ten Deviations From Approved History
- Translation: Pepper Tribe, Online Platform for Female Chinese Workers, Shut Down
- Petitioner Asked to Foot the Bill for Her Own “Stability Maintenance”
- Translation: Imaginary Friends and the Fruitless Search for Wilson Edwards
- China’s business operations in Africa may have a human rights problem
- China is policing speech that supports “living with Covid”
Politico China Watcher:
- U.S. commitment to Taiwan under scrutiny after Afghanistan's fall
- Adm. Faller: China exploiting corruption in Latin America
Politico China Direct:
The Wire China:
- What Happens to U.S. Colleges After China?
- The Dangers of Xi Jinping’s ‘Magic Swords’
- Special Delivery
- David Lubin on the Appeal of the ‘Beijing Consensus’
- Anta Goes All In On China
- Does ‘common prosperity’ mean the end of capitalism in China?
- Soul-searching in Taiwan after Afghan fiasco, but is it just ‘immature bedwetting’?
- Burning the British mission in Beijing
- China steps up antitrust campaign with new draft rules targeting internet companies
- Chengdu: A visual monologue
- Chinese history through the prism of its leaders
- ‘Not the outcome China wanted’: Why a Taliban-controlled Afghanistan makes Beijing anxious
- Calls intensify for a boycott of Beijing 2022
- As tattoo art flourishes, will China’s censors tighten their grip?
- The Chinese Money Behind Oatly?
- Drinking culture and sexual misconduct at Alibaba
- China affirms tech crackdown will continue with more regulations rolling out through 2025
- Barred from tutoring children, Chinese test-prep giant wants to educate parents
- Peter Martin on what makes China’s diplomats tick — and so ticked off
Center for Strategic and International Studies:
Center for Advanced China Research:
- Levelling the playing field in maritime shipping
- Angela Stanzel: "China’s interest in Afghanistan is to protect its border"
- China’s digital paradox
- Jane Duckett on China handling the pandemic
- Beijing increasingly tolerant of economic damage for political gain
- Briefing: Regulatory crackdown + Afghanistan + Delta outbreak
National Bureau of Asian Research:
Observer Research Foundation:
- Keeping an eye on China’s expanding nuclear stack
- How China aims to augment its military strength using AI
- Young Indians distrust China, Pakistan; rate pandemic, economy as big challenges
- How the crisis in container ships could ruin Christmas
- Indonesia tries to embrace Chinese language but problems persist
- Australia is at risk of taking the wrong tack at the Glasgow climate talks, and slamming China is only part of it
- From ground zero to zero tolerance – how China learnt from its COVID response to quickly stamp out its latest outbreak
- As Afghanistan falls, what does it mean for the Middle East?
- The coal price has skyrocketed in 2021 – what does it mean for net zero?
- China’s Political Calculations and Potential Options in Afghanistan
- China’s Shipping Delays Are Costing African Economies
- How Should Australia Respond to China’s Arbitrary Detentions?
- How China and Japan are Competing Over Indonesia’s Car Industry
- China Blames US for Chaos in Afghanistan But Offers Cooperation Toward Stability
- In China, ‘Xi Jinping Thought’ Is the Only Accepted Religion
- China’s Digital Nationalism and Activism
- A New Way to Explain – and Predict – China’s Economic Policymaking
- The Taliban: China’s Deal With the Devil in Afghanistan
- Laos-China Railway on Track for December Opening: Official
- Chinese Media’s Conflicting Narratives on the Myanmar Coup
- A Visit to Pangong Lake
- Long-Range Conventional Precision Strike: Taiwan’s Post-Nuclear Deterrent?
- Water With Your Chips? Semiconductors and Water Scarcity in China
- What’s Behind Lithuania’s Outreach to Taiwan?
- China’s Insurtech Crackdown: Tech Saga Continues
- Japan’s Military Role in the Indo-Pacific
- What the Fall of Afghanistan Means for Taiwan
- China Is the Biggest Winner From Africa’s New Free Trade Bloc
- China Won’t Repeat America’s Mistakes in Afghanistan
- China Is Protecting Its Thin Corridor to the Afghan Heartland
- China Is Repeating U.S. Mistakes With Its Own Global Arrogance
- Belarus and Hong Kong Are Building the 21st Century’s Berlin Walls
- Hong Kong’s Liberties Are Dying but Business Lives On
- 30,000 US troops in Taiwan?
- Beijing’s 'cleansing' of Hong Kong industries: Who will be the next target?
- Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou: Politics rather than law may decide her fate
- 'Afghanistan today, Taiwan tomorrow’?
- Japanese researcher: Japan-US-Taiwan lawmaker exchanges unavoidable now that China is a world power
- Inroads for China in a Taliban-led Afghanistan?
- A tall order: US policy effort in SEA amid rising Chinese influence
- Can the West's infrastructure plans rival China's BRI?
- Will the US’s ‘integrated deterrence’ keep China in check?
- Why China is regulating the property market
- Why no country can win the chip war
- More young and single Chinese women buying properties in China's top-tier cities
- Extreme weather could become the norm, but Chinese cities are not ready for it
- China's tutoring crackdown: It is not a random act by the Chinese government
- China’s tutoring crackdown: Is the Chinese government prepared for its consequences?
- Chinese economics professor: Why we should not profit from natural disasters
- Alibaba sexual assault case: China’s ugly drinking culture is a show of power
What's on Weibo:
- ‘Call Me By Fire’ All-Male Variety Show Becomes Social Media Hit
- “I Deeply Love My Motherland!” – Chinese Actor Zhang Zhehan Under Fire for Yasukuni and Nogi Shrine Photos
- Zhang Xifeng’s “Countryside Pig” Speech Still Lingers on Social Media
- China’s Crackdown on Tutoring Schools: Concerned Parents and Teachers on Weibo
- Did 'the Wuhan lab' spend $606 mln on air conditioning/ventilation?
- Connecting some of the dots before Meituan sheds $60 bln in valuation
Tracking People's Daily:
- Xi Calls Iran & Iraq - China on Taliban's 'Positive Signals' - Wang 'Appreciates' Dasu Attack Probe - Xi Thought Series: Party Discipline & Caging Power - Gig-Economy Workers' Rights
- Common Prosperity & Financial Risks - Protecting Critical Information Infrastructure - Xi Thought Series: Loyal, Clean and Responsible Cadres & Formalism and Bureaucracy - NDU on Defense Modernisation
- New Xi Books - State Council on Covid, Disasters, Employment & Commodities - Wang Lectures Blinken - Demand-Supply Gap in Employment - Xi Thought Series: ‘low-level red’ & ‘high-level black'
- Party's Political Construction - Xi Thought Series Emphasises Party's Revolutionary Nature - Lei Feng Spirit - Yasukuni Shrine Controversy - US & COVID
- Xiaokang & Human Rights - Endorsing Pak Terror Attack Probe - Party & Rule of Law - Governing by Constitution vs Constitutionalism - Frontier Work Assessment - Heilongjiang Flood
- Rule of Law Guideline - SCS Commentary - Xi Thought on Socialist Rule of Law - Beijing's High-speed Test Zone for Autonomous Vehicles - XPCC Spirit - One-China Principle
Eye on China:
- Afghanistan Situation - Pak Terror Attack - Tech Incentives Rollback - Xi Thought Series - Russia-China Drills - Tibet - Rule of Law Guideline - Covid Disinformation - Wendy Sherman Meets Qin Gang
Beijing to Britain:
Hong Kong Free Press:
- Friends no more: how Hong Kong’s rulers turned against the protest group they once worked with
- The Tong Ying-kit case: First show trial of Hong Kong’s new mainland-style legal regime
- The main risk to the University of Hong Kong’s reputation is its own governing council
- A Geothermal Solution to the Problems and Risks in Taiwan’s Electricity System
- Zenly, Dumplings, and Bad Girls: surveillance and social work in Wanhua
- The Taiwan-Australia Partnership: An Observation
- 领导 老师 “同学”
- 总结党的历史经验 加强党的政治建设
- 加强政治建设 确保全党步调一致向前进
- 砥砺奋进七十载 继往开来谱新篇
- 发扬抗美援朝精神 做有骨气的中国人
- 在高质量发展中促进共同富裕 统筹做好重大金融风险防范化解工作