Welcome to Neican’s newest initiative: China Analysis Digest.
Each week we scan a range of sources, aggregate them, and send you a list of China-related analyses.
The aim of this digest is to make it easier for you to stay up-to-date.
We will be experimenting with presentation, format and sources over the next few months. Please email me your feedback, suggestions, and/or non-violent complaints.
Have a good day.
If you are reading this as an email, it may be clipped due to its length. You can view it in full by clicking on “View entire message” towards the bottom. To view in the browser, please click on the email title, “China Analysis Digest”.
China Analysis Digest
- Issue: 2021/01
- Date range: February 24 - March 3, 2021
- Sources scanned: 44
- Content: 123 articles from 33 sources
- China’s White Paper on Foreign Aid: How Pacific Island Countries can maximise opportunities
- PRC Migrants in Australia: Marriage and Divorce
Reading the China Dream:
- Resetting US-China Trade Relations
- How to Cooperate with China
- What Could Cause a US-China War?
- Why the US Should Pursue Cooperation with China
China Digital Times:
- New Details Emerge from Xinjiang Camps Amid Government Efforts to Discredit Victims
- How the HK47 Prepared for Charges Under the National Security Law, and International Reactions
- Hong Kong Prosecutors Charge 47 With Subversion, Supporters Rally Outside Bail Hearing
- In Great Hall of The People, “Complete Victory.” In the Countryside, a More Complicated Story
- Police Arrest Seven, Engage in “Online Pursuit” to Crack Down on Online Speech
- Canadian Parliament Votes to Recognize Uyghur Persecution as Genocide
- Translation: Weibo User Sentenced to Six Months Over Wuhan Poem
China Media Project:
Politico China Watcher:
- ‘Truth and Reconciliation’: Excerpts from the Xinjiang Clubhouse
- How close, exactly, were Russia and China to nuclear war?
- China’s largest bank sends half a million employees a memo on workplace sexual misconduct
- Will Chinese education company GSX Techedu survive allegations of fraud?
- A year and a half later, Hong Kong protest ‘mom’ remains in touch with her kids
- Pineapple becomes new symbol of prickly Taipei-Beijing relations after China bans imports
- China’s home-built passenger plane, rival to Boeing’s 737 Max, to join China Eastern Airlines fleet this year
- Chloé Zhao is the first Chinese woman to win Golden Globe Best Director, but is she Chinese enough for social media?
- Passenger death puts focus on Lalamove’s safety problems and regulatory evasion
- China’s Renaissance man
- Jiangsu FC and the troubled state of Chinese soccer
- After successful disengagement at Pangong Lake, India-China tensions are easing
- Two Chinese military suppliers to merge to counter U.S. sanctions
- ‘A First Farewell’ bids goodbye to a Uyghur childhood
- WeDoctor plans to file for long-rumored Hong Kong IPO
- Chinese lingerie brand apologizes for joke about workplace sexism
- One song under Heaven: A history of China’s national anthems
- Chinese youth find pandemic relief in the form of role-playing
- China might soon have four approved COVID-19 vaccines
- China’s digital currency goes global as domestic trials expand
- Beijing man ordered to pay ex-wife $7,700 for five years of housework
- The Margary Affair and British imperialism on the China-Myanmar border
- The politics of being Chinese in Australia
- Erasing memory in China’s Tibet
- What are China’s leaders saying about the South China Sea?
Los Angeles Review of Books China Channel:
- To G or not to G? How to Sell Software to the Chinese Government
- Chairman Rabbit: China’s ‘Cosmopolitan Patriot’
- Highlights in recent extraordinarily frequent press briefings ahead of Two Sessions
- "Suggestions" and "Proposals" from Two Sessions
- The "Spirit" of the 5th Plenum 五中全会精神
War on the Rocks:
Center for Advanced China Research:
- China Is Losing Influence—and That Makes It Dangerous
- Chinese Belt and Road Investment Isn’t All Bad—or Good
- Why Erdogan Has Abandoned the Uyghurs
- The One-Sided War of Ideas With China
- In Kolkata, Only a Few Lions Are Still Dancing
- Latin American Governments Are Caught in the Middle of the U.S.-China Tech War
- Why China Favors Democracy Over Dictatorship in Myanmar
- China’s Nationality Law Is a Cage for Hong Kongers
- Influence Without Entanglement in the Middle East
- Biden’s Pick for CIA Director Singles Out China as ‘Biggest Geopolitical Test’
- Did India Just Win at the Line of Actual Control?
China Leadership Monitor:
- How China is Responding to Escalating Strategic Competition with the U.S.
- China’s Counter-Strategy to American Export Controls in Integrated Circuits
- Xi’s Anti-Corruption Campaign: An All-Purpose Governing Tool
- Grid Management: China’s Latest Institutional Tool of Social Control
- What Is the CPPCC Anyway?
- Chinese Vaccines Sweep Much of the World, Despite Concerns
- The ‘China Model’ Is Expanding in Hong Kong
- China Responds to Bloodshed in Myanmar With Deafening Silence
- Hong Kong’s Crackdown Moves With Dizzying Speed
- Climate Cooperation With China Can Power the World – Sustainably
- The Politics Behind China’s COVID-19 Vaccine Choices
- Taiwan Shuffles Cabinet in Signal to Biden Administration
- China’s Soft Power Grows in the Philippines
- Is International Pressure Coalescing on China’s Xinjiang Policy?
- Why Isn’t China’s COVID-19 Stimulus Going Directly to Workers?
- China’s Social Credit System in 2021: From fragmentation towards integration
- Beijing accelerates the Industrial Internet applications
- MERICS China Industries Briefing - February 2021
- A look ahead at the National People's Congress
- Beijing’s vaccine diplomacy bears fruit in Central and Eastern Europe
- Hong Kong: ‘patriotism test’ for public officials shows China’s increasing assertiveness
- Hong Kong: political turmoil provokes difficult decisions about whether to leave
East Asia Forum:
- Power rationing in China is unrelated to Australian coal embargo
- Global vaccination is still a jab in the dark
- Mainland China is in no position to take Taiwan by force
- Upgrading India’s regional disaster relief strategy
- Post-Brexit UK trade strategy needs to engage China
- The Vatican, Chinese Catholicism and the Diplomatic Isolation of Taiwan
- Development Lending is Down, But the BRI Lives to Fight Another Day
- The Xinjiang Crisis and Sino-Turkish Relations During the Pandemic: Part One
- China’s Updated National Defense Law: Going for Broke
- China Moves Ahead on Digital Yuan Before 2022 Winter Olympics
National People's Congress Observer:
- 2021 NPC Session: Dissecting the Amendments to the NPC’s Two Governing Laws
- NPCSC Seeks Public Comments on Draft Stamp Tax Law
- NPC Calendar: March 2021 (Updated)
- NPC Launches Official Chinese Law Database: A Guide & Review
The India China Newsletter:
- India recalibrates FDI policy, China's R&D spending boom, and the political importance of t…
- Did China turn off Mumbai's lights, Beijing's $30 trillion economy plan, and looking ahead …
- India, China Foreign Ministers review disengagement, and a landmark in China's poverty batt…
- Why China was again India's biggest trade partner in 2020, and where did the Galwan Valley …
Beijing to Britain:
- The factors that could lead to war between the US and China
- No easy fix for Australia’s supply-chain dependence on China
- What should Australia do about Uyghur forced labour in China?
- Criticism of Five Eyes points to flaws in China’s strategic thinking
- Uniting against authoritarianism: a blueprint for the Quad
- Biden’s first 30 days were easy. Now comes the hard part
- Australia has a key role to play in reducing China’s rare-earths dominance
- Canada’s joint declaration against arbitrary detention needs teeth
END OF DIGEST