Neican Digest aggregates and lists new China-related analyses. This series is published weekly. Thanks go to Katharina Ni for the magic (codes) that makes this possible.
Subscribe to China Neican and join thousands of policymakers, researchers, and business and media professionals. If you are already a fan, please spread the word:
- Date range: July 9-15, 2021
- Sources scanned: 86
- Content: 202 publications from 44 sources
- Download raw data (.csv)
The email form of this post may be clipped due to length. Click on “View entire message” at the bottom to see it in full. To view in browser, click here.
Made in China Journal:
- Then and Now
- The Yirenping Experience: Looking Back and Pushing Forward
- From Green Shoots to Crushed Petals: Labour NGOs in China
- China’s Human Rights Lawyers Rifts and Schisms in an Era of Global Human Rights Backlash
- Unfinished Revolution: An Overview of Three Decades of LGBT Activism in China
- Humility in the Pursuit of Tacit Knowledge: Public-Benefit Work in Poverty Alleviation and Rural Development
- Pioneers and Possibilities: Reflecting on Chinese NGO Development through Oral History
- Is China’s Belt and Road Initiative Slowing Down?
- Will There Be a Civil Society in the Xi Jinping Era? Advocacy and Non-Profit Organising in the New Regime
- Railroaded: The Financial Politics and the Labour Puzzle of Global China
China Media Project:
Pew Research Center:
- UN Human Rights Clash Strains Credibility of Chinese Diplomacy
- Early Warning Brief: The PLA’s Military Diplomacy Under COVID-19
- The CCP's Shifting Priorities: An Analysis of Politburo Group Study Sessions
- The PRC Leverages Taiwan's Water Crisis to Promote Cross-Strait Integrated Development
- Giving Precision Munitions ‘Eyes’ and a ‘Brain’: The State of PLA Research on Military Target Recognition
- A Chinese film removes scenes featuring a young Mao Zedong
- Deep in rural China, bitcoin miners are packing up
- In China, patriotic nostalgia is big business
- The Philippines’ secret weapon against Chinese incursions
- China is not happy about Myanmar’s coup
- Does China actively promote its way of governing — and do other countries listen?
- The Cold War is a poor analogy for today’s U.S.-China tensions
Australian Financial Review:
- Olympic glory: Tokyo’s success is a win for Beijing
- China’s law on conscription under revision
- Xi and beyond
- Whatever happened to the South China Sea ruling?
- China’s forced invisibility of LGBTQ communities on social media
East Asia Forum:
Pearls and Irritations:
- Rule of law in Hong Kong: Judicial safety and foreign hypocrites
- What did we do to China?
- Henry Kissinger marks 50 years since first China visit with call for talks to avoid ‘catastrophe’
- Peak Sinophobia in Australia?
- The battle of the two lines: media comments on the Communist Party of China
- How accurate is western media on China?
- Kishore Mahbubani: Can America lose to China?
- A close run thing in Hong Kong in 2019.
- China is killing its tech golden goose
- Crafting a way ahead for effective Australian deterrence against Chinese threats
- Despite Some Stumbles, China’s Once-Popular Skating Rinks Roll On
- China’s 10-Year Campaign to Nourish Rural School Kids
- In One Collapsing Village, the Other Side of China’s Rise
- How the Chili Pepper Conquered China
- Why the Three-Child Policy Is Just a Start
- The ‘Minor’ Events That Had a Major Impact on Sino-American History
- On China’s Internet, Bad Parenting Advice Is a Big Problem
- China’s Cosmetic Surgery Trends Are Getting Riskier — and Weirder
China Digital Times:
- China’s rare earth hub is rolling out massive subsidies to fix the industry’s Achilles heel
- Hong Kong’s first national security trial is debating Malcolm X’s legacy
- Some Chinese cities won’t allow kids with unvaccinated parents back into schools
- China’s Anta is about to become more valuable than Adidas
- Why Taiwan’s tech giants had to step in to source vaccines for the government
- A new US-Europe rare earths supply chain is using a “very Chinese model” to counter China
- The US blacklists 23 more Chinese companies for suspected abuses in Xinjiang
Politico China Watcher:
Politico China Direct:
The Wire China:
- The Road to Beijing
- The Moment Something Like Hope Germinated
- Winston Lord on the ‘Geopolitical Earthquake’ of Kissinger’s Secret Visit
- The Meeting of East and West
- Lines of Communication
- Pakistan bus explosion kills at least nine Chinese; Beijing blames bomb
- Convenience Bee — China’s first truly successful cashier-less store chain?
- Power of symbolism: The swim that changed Chinese history
- U.S. to issue risky business warning for Hong Kong
- Chinese cities announce vaccine requirements for public places, setting off debate about freedom and vaccination inequality
- U.S. warship ‘sent away with a warning’ by China as Biden backs Trump policy on South China Sea
- Didi debacle highlights weaknesses in regulatory coordination, but it’s not decoupling
- Chinese man faces no charges after attempted girlfriend abduction caught on camera
- Meet Jia Ling, the woman who shattered box office records
- China responds to U.K.’s call to boycott Beijing Olympics
- The Great Financial Decoupling?
- COVID-19 origins and the state of science reporting in China
- Hong Kong: Brace for incoming!
- ByteDance finally reads the room and cancels six-day work weeks
Congressional Research Service:
- IF10275| Taiwan: Political and Security Issues
- R42784| U.S.-China Strategic Competition in South and East China Seas: Background and Issues for Congress
Center for Strategic and International Studies:
- Progress Report on China’s Type 003 Carrier
- Assessing Chinese-Russian Military Exercises: Past Progress and Future Trends
- Alternatives to China’s tech authoritarianism a priority for transatlantic action
- Jan Weidenfeld on transatlantic China policy
- EU-China Weekly Review: EU connectivity initiative + Values issues + Lithuania
- China-EU third-party agreements – second time unlucky?
- Mind the Gap: Priorities for Transatlantic China Policy
- Xi’s new slogan for China’s trajectory: "Time and momentum are on our side"
- Helena Legarda on China’s new concept of comprehensive national security
Australia-China Relations Institute:
- Australia-China monthly wrap-up: June 2021
- Perspectives | Implications of the new wave of nationalism in the People’s Republic of China for Australian companies
Observer Research Foundation:
- We had a One China policy for long. It’s time for a relook
- India as the strongest link to counter China
- Chinese nationalism, with socialist characteristics?
- Diplomacy gone amiss: Story of Chinese COVID-19 Vaccines
- The China-Pakistan Partnership Continues to Deepen
- A new high in Japan’s security ties with Taiwan
- Facial recognition for gamers, app store bans for Didi: what’s behind China’s recent crackdown on big tech?
- ‘To get rich is glorious’: how Deng Xiaoping set China on a path to rule the world
- Semiconductors: Chinese takeover of UK’s leading chipmaker doesn’t need a security review – here’s why
- Some Chinese Shun Grueling Careers for ‘Low-Desire Life’
- Measuring the Scale of Chinese Transnational Repression
- At the Nexus of Military-Civil Fusion and Technological Innovation in China
- Great Power Competition Doesn’t Have to Be Bad
- Prime Minister Modi Plays the ‘Tibet Card’ Again
- China Tightens Border Controls as COVID-19 Surges in Myanmar
- China’s Afghanistan Gambit
- What to Expect From China’s New Anti-Sanctions Law
- Returning to Multilateralism to Ensure Equitable COVID-19 Vaccine Access
- China’s 709 Crackdown Is Still Going On
- The China-Pakistan Partnership Continues to Deepen
- How Are Taiwan’s Diplomatic Allies Faring in the Great Vaccine Race?
- The United States Can’t Afford the Brutal Price of Chinese Solar Panels
- Will the United States and Europe Break Up Over China?
- The Undeniable Pessimism of Angela Merkel
- Chinese-U.S. Split Is Forcing Singapore to Choose Sides
- Taro Aso’s Taiwan Slip Was Likely Deliberate
- U.S. Blunts China’s Vaccine Diplomacy in Latin America
- U.S.-China Competition Can Still Produce Climate Wins
- Does Beijing’s Belligerent Birthday Party Herald a New Arms Race?
- China Fires Back at Biden with Conspiracy Theories About Maryland Lab
- Hong Kongers losing their voice as district councillors quit?
- SEA nations may need to pick a side as US-China rivalry intensifies
- Can China hold its own without the US?
- China is not the answer to America's problems
- Why the world will face a global leadership vacuum
- The most outstanding of CCP leaders?
- Indonesia-US Maritime Training Centre: A sign of Indonesia's independent and active foreign policy
- Chinese ambassador Hong Xiaoyong on CPC’s centenary: Towards a brighter future
- What’s stopping Hong Kong from fixing its housing crisis?
- Why the Vietnamese embrace US vaccines but shun Chinese ones
- When doing business in China, beware of patriotic netizens
What's on Weibo:
Tracking People's Daily:
- State Council Wants Local Govts to Tighten Belts - UFWD Meeting on Development - Wang Yi at SCO - India-China Talks - Pakistan 'Attack'
- Xi Talks to Zelensky & Erdogan - Foreign Trade - Afghanistan's Impact on C. Asia - July 1 Speech & Xi's 'Major Theoretical Innovation'
- Ideological & Political Work Guidelines - H1 Trade Data - SCS & Winning the 'Strategic Initiative' - Vaccines Deal with GAVI
- Grassroots Governance - Apple Daily - United Front Work - Legal System with Chinese Characteristics
- Xi's Tech Focus - PLA Must Study July 1 Speech - Chinese Media's Social Responsibility Performance - Zhong Sheng Commentary on HK
The India China Newsletter:
Eye on China:
- Tibet - WTC Changes - Afghanistan - Didi Saga - European Outreach - Political Parties Summit - RRR & Defaults - 'Patriotic Education' - Media Responsibility - South Asia Poverty Alleviation Center
Takshashila PLA Insight:
- PLA Promotions: Profiles; Arms Control, Military Diplomacy, Military-Political Work, Precision Munitions Eyes and Brain, Submarines; Conscription
Hong Kong Free Press:
- Out of the shadows: How China’s Communist Party is now claiming credit for the Hong Kong success story
- Taiwan and the Pandemic: Impact on Businesses and the Economy
- The WHO Approval and Support for China’s COVID-19 Vaccines in Taiwan
- Taiwan’s Boosting Economy Amid the Prolonged Global Pandemic Crisis
- A Wake-Up Call to Improve Factory Working Procedures in a Time of Crisis
- The Political and Economic Implications from Taiwan’s Covid-19 resilience performance
- 二五 宝玉黛玉在床上
- 《1937，延安对话》：珍贵史料 映照初心
- 统筹指导构建新发展格局 推进种业振兴 推动青藏高原生态环境保护和可持续发展
END OF DIGEST