On March 30, the Politburo convened a meeting, with two outcomes.
First, the Politburo launched a thematic education campaign on studying and implementing Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era throughout the Communist Party.
Second, the Politburo reviewed proposed changes to the Regulations on the Reporting of Personal Matters by Leading Cadres (领导干部报告个人有关事项规定).
On the same day, the Politburo also conducted a group study session on the thematic education campaign.
The following brief has three sections: Education Campaigns, Current Campaign, and Personal Reporting.
“党内集中教育” (“intra-party focused education”) refers to party-wide education campaigns on specific subjects or themes.
There are various education campaign types, including “learning and education” (学习教育), “thematic education” (主题教育), “special topic education” (专题教育) and “education and practice activities” (实践活动).
Designations for education campaigns vary based on scope, topic and method. “Learning and education” campaigns focus on a field of knowledge, such as Party history. “Thematic education” campaigns focus on a specific theory or area. “Special topic education” campaigns focus on narrow topics or issues. “Education and practice activities” campaigns focus on learning through practice.
The study methods vary but generally include self-learning, group discussions, and structured lectures.
These campaigns typically run for up to one year.
Below is a list of Party education campaigns in the last decade:
- 学习贯彻习近平新时代中国特色社会主义思想主题教育 Studying and Implementing Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era Thematic Education (2023)
- 党史学习教育 Party History Learning and Education (2021)
- “不忘初心、牢记使命” 主题教育 “Never Forget Our Original Aspiration and Founding Mission” Thematic Education (2019)
- “两学一做” 学习教育 “Two Study and One Do” Learning and Education (2016)
- “三严三实” 专题教育 “Three Strict and Three Practical” Special Topic Education (2015)
- 党的群众路线教育实践活动 The Party’s Mass Line Education and Practice Activities (2013)
Note that the current education campaign is the sixth since Xi Jinping came to power and the second “thematic education” campaign.