Neican Digest lists new China-related publications.
Subscribe to China Neican and join thousands of policymakers, researchers, and business and media professionals. If you are already a fan, please spread the word:
- Date: April 28 - May 5, 2021
- Sources scanned: 84
- Content: 232 publications from 57 sources
- Download raw data (.csv)
Liu Yu on the Arms Race in Chinese Education (Liu Yu, translated by Selena Orly):
What are the consequences of this kind of "arms race" model of education? Everyone is utterly exhausted. Your kid goes to bed at ten o’clock, my kid goes to bed at eleven, his kid goes to bed at midnight. You go to two cram schools, he goes to four. Some time ago I was in a WeChat moms’ group and saw a forwarded news item about a liberal arts mom who transformed herself into a science and technology expert in order to tutor her child for university.
Cultivate Aridity and Deprive them of Air (Holly Snape):
‘Grey space’ and ‘tacit approval’ are concepts familiar to people working in or studying China’s organised civil society. But a new policy, introduced in March 2021, to ‘crack down on and rectify illegal social organisations’ attempts to wipe these concepts clean from our lexicon. This policy seeks to cultivate arid land in place of vibrant grey space by prevailing on the Chinese Communist Party, the state, and an array of other organisations to ‘cut off all sources of nourishment’ and ‘remove the breeding ground’ for non–state-approved social organisations. The aim, as the policy puts it, is to ‘cleanse the social organisation ecological space’.
we interviewed 19,816 individuals from 31 provinces or provincial-level administrative regions across China…our data show that Chinese citizens’ trust in their national government increased [since COVID] to 98 percent….91 percent of Chinese citizens surveyed now said they trust or trust completely the township-level government. Trust levels rose to 93 percent at the county level, 94 percent at the city level and 95 percent at the provincial level. These numbers suggest that Chinese citizens have become more trusting in all levels of government…the high levels of trust among Chinese citizens — and what we know about citizen surveys in China — suggest that these results cannot be simply reduced to a misrepresentation out of political fear. These findings are consistent with what other survey scholars have repeatedly shown.
Is there life after Xi? (Richard McGregor and Jude Blanchette):
Successfully organising a coup against an incumbent leader — especially one in a Leninist one-party state — is also a daunting challenge. An aspiring coup leader faces numerous barriers, beginning with the need to gather support from key members of the military-security bureaucracy without alerting the leader and the security agencies. In the absence of a systemic crisis, the chances of a coup against Xi at the moment are exceedingly small. Given the technological capabilities of the party’s security services, which Xi controls, such an endeavour is fraught with the risk of detection and the possible defection of early plotters who change their mind. Xi certainly has a host of enemies in the party, but the obstacles to organising against him are near insurmountable.
The email form of this post may be clipped due to length. Click on “View entire message” at the bottom to see it in full. To view in browser, click here.
- China’s military exercises are frequent yet Taiwan is not worried
- Time to speak louder on Australians detained in the PRC
Reading the China Dream:
- Gan Yang and Liu Xiaofeng on Yenching Academy
- Liu Yu on the Arms Race in Chinese Education
- Xiang Biao, Excerpts from Self as Method
- Zhao Gang, Radical Youth in Taiwan and Hong Kong
Made in China Journal:
Pew Research Center:
War on the Rocks:
- Metus Hostilis: Sallust, American Grand Strategy, and the Disciplining Effects of Peer Competition with China
- Even doveish China-watchers in America are becoming hawkish
- China blocks mention of Oscar-winner Chloé Zhao
- Is China’s population shrinking?
- Did the pandemic shake Chinese citizens’ trust in their government? We surveyed nearly 20,000 people to find out.
- Why do some Muslim-majority countries support China’s crackdown on Muslims?
- Huawei is trying to avoid U.S. sanctions. That may change the U.S.-China tech rivalry in Africa.
- China’s Belt and Road Initiative invests in African infrastructure — and African military and police forces
- Was China behind last October’s power outage in India? Here’s what we know.
Australian Financial Review:
- Pakistani Taliban turn on China
- Australia keeps calm while China carries on
- China’s climate pivot could reshape the economic future
- Some reflections on the “anonymous Xinjiang paper”
- China’s leap into space
East Asia Forum:
- Can China’s commercial space sector achieve lift off?
- Japan’s Senkaku public awareness campaign at risk of backfiring
- Why China’s vaccine diplomacy is winning
Pearls and Irritations:
- Time to silence the drums of war
- Hong Kong: British common law labelled as Chinese oppression
- Taiwan: the trigger point for America’s next war
- China’s AI deployment in Africa poses risks to security and sovereignty
- No end in sight for China’s dependence on Australian iron ore
- China’s actions, not Australia’s words, are the problem
- Time to end China’s lease on the Port of Darwin
- Past Lens: Snapshots of Campus Life in ’90s China
- How a Polish Master Brought Lu Xun’s Madness to Life
- How I’m Reconnecting Migrant Parents With Their Children
- Reading the Leaves of China’s Upscale Milk Tea Craze
- Can the Internet Cure China’s Addiction to Overprescription?
- On a Chinese Mountaintop, a Community Just for People With Autism
China Digital Times:
- Timeline: Two Months of Turmoil at Hong Kong Public Broadcaster RTHK
- Translation: An Apology to the People of India
- Translation: The Hundred Childless Days
- Chinese Regulators Prepare to Take Action Against More Tech Companies
- Netizen Voices: “As Soon as They Want to Access Your Uterus, They Start the Sweet Talk”
- China’s latest weapon against Covid-19 is a girl band in Shanghai
- China’s wolf warriors are undermining Beijing’s empathetic messaging on India’s Covid-19 crisis
- Chloé Zhao’s no make-up Oscars look challenges China’s rigid beauty standards
- US sanctions are starting to catch up to Huawei
Politico China Watcher:
Politico China Direct:
Protocol | China:
The Wire China:
- “Now Hiring” in Silicon Valley
- Rasheed Griffith on China’s Ties to the Caribbean
- The Two Sides of Chinese GDP
- Opioid Whack-a-Mole
- Shots in the Dark
- A Study in Contrasts
- Can Chinese liquor companies convince Chinese youths to drink traditional baijiu?
- U.S.-China relations at the time of the Chinese Exclusion Act
- EU sours on China, investment deal appears frozen over Beijing’s sweeping Xinjiang counter-sanctions
- Misogynistic trolls band together to dunk on dance-loving young women at Tsinghua University
- Perverted or provocative? Installation by fake panty thief pulled from Chinese art contest
- China offers to help India deal with catastrophic COVID-19 surge
- Congratulations to this woman who finally divorces her abusive husband after five years of trying
- China’s antitrust probe: Tencent and Meituan are next
- China launches core module of new space station, to be completed by end of 2022
- Ride-hailing for the blind: Didi promises accessible travel
- Actress Zheng Shuang, confirmed deadbeat mother, under investigation for tax evasion
- Spirituality and politics inside a Chinese Buddhist temple
- U.S. relaxes COVID travel curbs and lets Chinese students back in
- Stabbing rampage at Guangxi kindergarten leaves two dead and 16 wounded, including children
- How rental mobile phone chargers took over China’s cities
- April 26, 1989: A government editorial seals the fate of Beijing’s student protesters
- Chinese Super League returns with a new look (and with fans)
Center for Strategic and International Studies:
Center for Advanced China Research:
- Commission proposes defensive economic measures - CAI - Belgium's investment screening mechanism
- Smart manufacturing plan seeks to overcome reliance on imports
- Europe shouldn’t underestimate the global appeal of China’s vaccine diplomacy
- A Baltic view on transatlantic tech relations towards China
- Sino-German Government Talks: Dialogue and cooperation with China - the German Sonderweg?
China Data Lab:
- Shanghai’s dynamic art scene: China’s cosmopolitan middle class and the value of international cultural exchanges
- An asymmetric defense of Taiwan
Observer Research Foundation:
- The Impossible Triangle: China, the US, and the EU
- No Huawei in 5G is a start, No China in critical infrastructure should be next
- China–Australia relations: Cold politics over hot economics
- Human Rights and US Foreign Policy: Implications for India and China
- China does not want war, at least not yet. It’s playing the long game
- Sang culture: how a reluctant Russian singer became the hero of young pessimists across China
- Australia would be wise not to pound ‘war drums’ over Taiwan with so much at stake
- The Chinese Mars lander: how Zhurong will attempt to touch down on the red planet
- 3 Reasons Why the US Doesn’t Have a Coherent China Strategy
- Will Easing of Student Visa Restrictions Rekindle China-US Exchanges?
- China Is Courting Middle Eastern Nations on Xinjiang
- 4 Dams on the Upper Mekong in Yunnan, China: 2011-2019
- China Outlines Its Priorities as UN Security Council President
- Du Youkang on China’s Stake in Afghanistan
- As China Ditches High Growth, the World Must Adjust
- Business Moguls and Chinese (Soft) Power: The ‘Huaren’ of Southeast Asia
- China-Iran Strategic Cooperation: Symbolism Vs. Substance
- Philippines Protests ‘Blocking’ of Its Patrol Ships by China
- Can China-US Relations Improve During the Biden Administration?
- The Kazakh Herders of Xinjiang
- Northeast China: Still Waiting for Regionalism
- Is China Done With Salami Slicing?
- China Moves Toward a Permanent Space Presence
- The Economics of the China-India-Sri Lanka Triangle
- Czechia: A Case Study of China’s Changing Overseas Propaganda Efforts
- We’re Not in a Cold War With China, We’re in a Green War for Survival
- China-Germany Relations at the Crossroads
- Xinjiang Cotton and the Shift in China’s Censorship Approach
- China Launches Core Space Station Module
- The CCP Hand Behind China’s Xinjiang Cotton Backlash
- Chinese Companies Consider Mixing Vaccines, Booster Shots
- China’s Coast Guard Law Challenges Rule-Based Order
- Policy Advisers Urge US Government to Ratchet up the Pressure on China
- Whether Fighting COVID-19 or the Next Pandemic, Taiwan Can Help
- As Drought Worsens Chip Shortage, Taiwan Fights Brain Drain to China
- How the Biden Administration Can Support Taiwan
- Australia Draws a Line on China
- The World Might Want China’s Rules
- China Has Lost the Philippines Despite Duterte’s Best Efforts
- Abandoning Taiwan Makes Zero Moral or Strategic Sense
- Killing Hong Kong’s Free Press Will Harm Its Economy
- Huawei Is Bad for Business
- Can Biden Sell His Domestic Agenda as a Win Against China?
- Will Indonesia-China vaccine cooperation affect Jakarta's South China Sea stance?
- No one in the world loves the US as much as the Chinese? Not anymore.
- Could China send peacekeeping troops to Afghanistan?
- What the Chinese government wants to tell Alibaba and China's tech giants [Part II]
- Is Alibaba doomed? [Part I]
- Can private Chinese enterprises truly ‘develop boldly and with confidence’?
- Chinese authorities' Weibo post lambasted for mocking India's coronavirus crisis
- China’s serious water woes
National People's Congress Observer:
- NPCSC Passes Legislation to Support Rural Revitalization Campaign, Curb Food Waste & Combat Identity Thefts in School Admissions
- NPC Calendar: May 2021
- NPCSC Seeks Public Comments on Bills on Data Security, Personal Information Protection, Hainan Free Trade Port, Military Personnel Protection & Futures
What's on Weibo:
- Chinese Netizens Infuriated by “Live Animal Mystery Box” Industry
- Official Weibo Account Sends Out Controversial, Insensitive Post on India Covid Crisis
- One Dead, 17 Injured in Guangxi Kindergarten Knife Attack
Chaoyang Trap House:
Tracking People's Daily:
- China's UNSC Priorities - Philippines Row - ACFTU's Political Loyalty & Priorities
- Xi & the Youth - Tripartite Cooperation in CPEC - China-Russia Ties
- Xi's Youth Agenda - Veterans Propaganda Campaign - Vacuous Vaccine Rhetoric
- Space Ambitions - Xi's Marxism - China-Sri Lanka Defense Ties - New Laws - Maternal and Child Health Improvement
- Yang Jiechi on US Ties - Li-Merkel Talks - Xi Invokes Long March - Inspections at Universities - Youth League's Perspective
- Xi's Guangxi Tour - South Asian Diplomacy - 2020 Propaganda Appraisal - Marxism and socialism winning the systems contest
The India China Newsletter:
- India's big 5G call, and the complicated optics of Covid-19 supplies from China
- Xi writes to Modi, Foreign Ministers speak, and is Tech China turning away from India?
Eye on China:
- Pandemic Diplomacy - Economic Sobriety - Anti-Trust Fines - Biden's Speech - Yang's Proposal - A Tougher Europe? - Afghan Troika Talks - Marxism's Winning - Defense Ties in South Asia
Takshashila PLA Insight:
- China-India Brief; Three New Warships; Japan and China: The Senkakus; Taiwan; SCS; China's Arctic Ambitions; China in Space; Military Expenditure
Beijing to Britain:
- Hongkongers in the UK must oppose the New Plan for Immigration
- 11 articles on workers’ organizing in China and Hong Kong
- Confronting the new ‘big platform’—Part 2
Hong Kong Free Press:
- Why Hong Kong’s Covid-19 policies are racist to the core
- Beijing’s double speak: Why China owes the United Nations more than mere lip service
- Music as Political Commitment: The Reception of Pablo Casals in Taiwan before the 1970s
- Mass Tourism During The Covid-19 Pandemic: When The Tao/Yami People Face Sanitary And Environmental Crises
- When 50 Steps is Further than Taipei: Indigenous Contemporary Art and Temporal Orientation
- 深入贯彻新发展理念 加快构建新发展格局
- 赓续对外工作百年辉煌 服务中华民族伟大复兴
- 坚持党的全面领导 推进一流大学建设
- 牢固树立正确党史观 学习宣传研究好党的历史
- 保持生态文明建设战略定力 努力建设人与自然和谐共生的现代化
- 中国空间站天和核心舱发射任务成功 习近平致电祝贺
- 解放思想深化改革凝心聚力担当实干 建设新时代中国特色社会主义壮美广西
END OF DIGEST