China Analysis Digest #14
Hey folks, there is no recommended readings this week. I’m feel crap from the COVID vaccine.
Neican Digest aggregates new China-related publications.
Subscribe to China Neican and join thousands of policymakers, researchers, and business and media professionals. If you are already a fan, please spread the word:
- Date range: May 25 - June 1, 2021
- Sources scanned: 86
- Content: 242 publications from 48 sources
- Download raw data (.csv)
The email form of this post may be clipped due to length. Click on “View entire message” at the bottom to see it in full. To view in browser, click here.
Made in China Journal:
- Going Global: The International Endeavours of Chinese NGOs
- The Cultural Politics of National Tragedies and Personal Sacrifice
China Media Project:
- Three-Child Policy Spawns Ridicule
- Slogans for Self-Reliance
- Speculating on the Party’s Centennial
- Unnatural Causes
- China allows its citizens to have a third child
- China’s revealing Afghan strategy
- Education in China is becoming increasingly unfair to the poor
- China wants to curb an old custom: the hazing of wedding couples
Australian Financial Review:
- Heavy-handed laws are stigmatising foreign contact
- Carping about Port of Darwin sends anti-investment message
- China’s never-ending Tibet paranoia
- Is Southeast Asia ready for a US-China tech decoupling?
- Myanmar is not the next Syria
East Asia Forum:
- Is China angling for a Saudi–Iranian detente?
- Chinese supply chains prove resilient to global shocks and pressure
Pearls and Irritations:
- Arbitrary detention in China: The case of Yang Hengjun
- The rejected murder suspect and the Taiwan Government’s lack of interest in the Rule of Law.
- Ardern–Morrison meeting about the Pacific, not China policy shenanigans
- Biden review puts world one step closer to finding out what happened in Wuhan
- From the bookshelf: ‘2034: A novel of the next world war’
- Nations concerned about injustice in China must not bow to Beijing’s coercion
- Australia’s dangerously inadequate Taiwan policy debate
- How China Made Tintin Less Racist
- Reenacting Her Mother’s Final Days, a Director Found Solace
- How Yunnan Is Helping Train the Next Generation of Indian Doctors
- ‘Respect Money’: How a Chinese Talent Show Put Its Fans Up for Sale
- Can Naturalized Athletes Save China’s Sporting Dreams?
- Crazy Stones: The Chinese Gamblers Betting Millions on Rocks
- Can C-Dramas Find an Audience in Africa?
- The Big Problems Facing China’s Small Fisheries
- For Young Chinese, 2021 Is the Year of the Digital Nomad
- In ‘Involuted’ China, Eating Disorders Are a Hidden Epidemic
China Digital Times:
- BTS, Bieber, and Gaga Censored From Friends Reunion; Cena Apologizes to Avoid Similar Fate
- After Ultramarathon Deaths, Insiders Suggest Tragedy Was Inevitable
- Diplomats Barred From Trial of Australian Writer Yang Hengjun
- Translation: “Spring Blossoms, Autumn Winds”—Analysis of Weibo Replies to Li Wenliang
- Translation: “Spring Blossoms, Autumn Winds”—Analysis of Weibo Replies to Li Wenliang
- Hong Kong Lays Groundwork for “Fake News” Law
- Translation: “I Hope That This Cry is Loud Enough,” by Xianzi
- “Never give up:” A Hong Kong boy band has emerged as the voice of a city under crackdown
- “We can’t afford it”: Chinese internet users have rejected Beijing’s new three-child policy
- Soaring commodity prices are bringing a Chinese lithium giant back from the brink
- HKEX is key to China’s plan to internationalize its economy
- Thousands have joined Hong Kong’s national security law exodus to the UK
- China is setting up special economical wedding zones
- China’s crackdown on bitcoin mining is getting real
- Hong Kongers are using blockchain archives to fight government censorship
Politico China Watcher:
Politico China Direct:
Protocol | China:
The Wire China:
- Tom Tugendhat on Why China Moved Too Early
- Broken Bonds
- Backroom Dealings
- Sporting Chinese Clothes
- China Must Embrace Remote Work
- The Competition Conundrum
- China ease past minnows Guam as World Cup qualifying resumes
- Hong Kong political crackdown continues with more prison time for pro-democracy activists, second Tiananmen vigil ban
- Changsha officials give preferential hiring treatment to male teachers because Chinese boys are ‘too effeminate’!
- In Taiwan, a law meant to empower the indigenous is put to the test
- Taiwan accuses China of blocking Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine supply
- The ‘Friends’ reunion airs in China — without Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, and BTS
- Searching for belonging
- American students at Chinese universities adapt to pandemic fallout
- Chinese government pushes to finance family farms and other rural ventures
- Escaped circus tigers shot dead in Henan after killing handler
- When China’s Nationalist government lost Shanghai
- Scientists reconsider accidental lab leak theory as COVID-19 origins remain unclear
- Dispatch from Shenzhen: China’s booming drone industry
- John Cena wants Chinese fans to forgive his Taiwan blunder and go watch his new movie
Center for Strategic and International Studies:
- Beyond Polysilicon: The Ties between China’s GCL-Poly and the United States
- New Senate China Bill Needs a Credible Latin American Dimension
- China’s legislature edges closer to finalizing data privacy regime
- Huawei's global troubles spur Beijing’s push for self-reliance
- Data Privacy - Cybersecurity in cars - 2021 R&D priorities
- China wades into the Israel-Palestine conflict once more
- MERICS China Security and Risk Tracker
- EU beefs up ability to compete ahead of international discussions on rules
- Dual-use export controls – Beijing’s “genuine” multilateralism – China’s recruitment of researchers in Denmark
- Why Western policies cannot change the Russia-China relationship
- Rethinking German policy towards China
Observer Research Foundation:
- A Chinese-built port in the Indian Ocean: The story of Kenya’s Lamu port
- Delhi-Colombo-Beijing triangle undergoes another shift
- Twin fears for India over the Colombo Port City
- Lessons in friendship: Explaining 70 years of China-Pakistan relations
- China’s PLA upgrades its forces along the disputed border with India
- Catalysts for China’s miracle growth: Rapid urbanisation, integrated city planning
- As Morrison and Ardern meet, differences of opinion give way to the enduring close relationship
- Destination Moon: is it time for us to send astronauts back?
- As Australian-Chinese writer Yang Hengjun’s trial begins, his prospects remain bleak
- Climate Change Will Worsen the India-China Rivalry – But There’s a Better Way Forward
- A European FTA With India Is Not a Counterweight to China
- What Do Chinese People Think Is Happening in Xinjiang?
- How Will the Chinese Communist Party Withstand Increasing Calls for COVID-19 Pandemic Accountability?
- Do Chinese Infrastructure Loans Promote Business Startups in African Countries?
- Why China Is Not on Track For Financial Superpower Status
- What Han Dynasty China’s Financial Relations With Rome Can Teach Us Today
- Yang Jiechi’s Overlooked Visits to Slovenia and Croatia
- China’s PLA Upgrades Its Forces Along Disputed Border With India
- US, China Trade Officials Finally Talk
- The Gulf Between Chinese and Vietnamese Alliance Policies
- Biden Asks US Intel Officials to Investigate COVID-19 Origin
- How Will China Respond to Rising Inflation?
- The Secret Behind the Chinese Communist Party’s Perseverance
- Why a Taiwan Invasion Would Look Nothing Like D-Day
- How China Is Losing Europe
- Official Hints at Challenges for Chinese Businesses in Uzbekistan
- Can China’s Israel-Palestine Peace Plan Work?
- Assessing 70 Years of China’s PLA Air Force
- The US Must Defend Taiwan – From COVID-19
- Taiwan Confronts COVID-19 Outbreak, Accuses China of Blocking Vaccines
- Time for a ‘Semi-Quad’ Alliance
- Can Biden Keep the Peace in Southeast Asia?
- Wolf Warriors Killed China’s Grand Strategy
- A Quiet Sentence Gives South Korea Back Its ‘Missile Sovereignty’
- Understanding China Is Getting Harder Every Month
- Beijing Is Trolling Biden Over Gaza
- Southeast Asia Had COVID-19 Under Control. What Went Wrong?
- Biden Is Continuing the Trump Administration’s Revised Stance on Tibet
- When will the CCP stop being an ‘underground party’ in Hong Kong?
- Hong Kong-Taiwan relations take a nosedive as cross-strait relations worsen
- US academic: Is Japan a true and loyal US ally?
- Is the China-EU investment deal doomed?
- Philippine-US cooperation on Whitsun Reef: A 'win' for the Biden team in Southeast Asia?
- China's peaceful rise has to start in Hong Kong
- Uniquely New Zealand: How NZ maintains integrity amid great power rivalry
- Rich China tycoons park family offices in Singapore
- Faced with a shortage of water, electricity and vaccines, can Taiwan still deliver the chips?
- Mobile gaming: The cash cow of China’s mobile phone industry
- [Photo story] The many faces of Shanghai over a hundred years
- Shanghai can learn from Tokyo’s train service excellence
- Lessons for China: The powerful position of the Japanese farming industry
- A burning issue among Chinese youths: How to escape the rat race?
- Americans should not oversimplify China into a few sensitive issues
- Chinese economics professor: Why we exchange gifts, from ancient China to the present
National People's Congress Observer:
- Recording & Review: Removing the Vestiges of the One-Child Policy
- NPC Calendar: June 2021
- NPCSC Session Watch: Data Security, Legal Aid, Workplace Safety, Vocational Education & More
What's on Weibo:
- China’s ‘Three Child Era’ Announcement Is Met with Banter and Backlash on Weibo
- “Before I Met Him” – Unhappy Marriage Post Goes Viral on Weibo
- Cracking Down on ‘Unhealthy’ Wedding Customs: Xiong’an New Area Launches Wedding Reform Experiment
Chaoyang Trap House:
Tracking People's Daily:
- Three-Child Policy - Xi & Kids - Lab-Leak Theory as 'Nonsense' - China's Human Rights Discourse
- Xi ≈ Mao - Yan'an Spirit - Li's Green Development Pitch - Wang's European Diplomacy
- Xi's Rule of Law Thought - 'Inhumane' American Democracy - Red Footprints & the 'Two Musts' - Carbon Peak Leading Group Meeting - China-US Trade Talks
- Xi's Calls Nepal, Spain & Montenegro - Li on Supporting MSEs - US Democracy & Inequality - CPEC - Backing Reform & Opening Up
- Four Histories Propaganda, One-China Principle, Yimeng Spirit & China-model Promotion
- Xi's Diplomacy, Zhao Kezhi on Defending 'the Core', Rekindling the Lei Feng Spirit, & the CCP Rule as 'Historical Inevitability'
The India China Newsletter:
- How effective are China's vaccines, the dark side of India's iron ore exports, and Xi’s mes…
- Decoupling 'contradictions', lab-leak investigations, and the art of apology
Eye on China:
- Quad & Containment - Xi's Tech Vision - Guangzhou Outbreak - Vaccine Diplomacy in South Asia - Covid Origins - Xi's Inner Circle - HK Electoral System - Defending the Core - Cena Taps Out
Takshashila PLA Insight:
Beijing to Britain:
Hong Kong Free Press:
- Eye of the storm: Hong Kong protester shot in the eye not blind enough for some people
- Why the ‘race’ to be Hong Kong’s next chief will be a collective slap in the face for people of the city
- Don’t trust the science or don’t trust the gov’t? Why many Hongkongers are shunning Covid vaccination
- How China is sweeping up its own social media mess
- Challenges for Taiwan’s Defence & Economic Security and its Required Efforts To Ensuring a Sustainable Peace
- Cutting Through the Fog of War in the Taiwan Strait
- Biden & Taiwan: Advancing a Flexible US One China Policy
- Idealization and Fearmongering Opposite Sides of the Same Coin for International Media Reporting on Taiwan
- Taiwan: The unsinkable Aircraft Carrier sails again?
- Taiwan Deserves Its Rightful Place Under the Sun
- 学好“四史” 永葆初心、永担使命
- 把握历史大势 掌握历史主动
- 改革不停顿 开放不止步
- 学习社会主义发展史 不断坚定“四个自信”
- 深化粤港澳合作 推进大湾区建设
- 把握历史大势 掌握历史主动
- 大党 大样 大道
- 结合自身成长实际学好党史 从小坚定听党话跟党走的决心
- 两院院士大会中国科协第十次全国代表大会在京召开 习近平发表重要讲话
- 更好展示真实立体全面的中国 为促进中国和世界交流沟通作出新的贡献
END OF DIGEST