Neican Digest aggregates new China-related publications.
Subscribe to China Neican and join thousands of policymakers, researchers, and business and media professionals. If you are already a fan, please spread the word:
- Date range: June 8-15, 2021
- Sources scanned: 86
- Content: 227 publications from 53 sources
- Download raw data (.csv)
The Clash of Systems? Washington Should Avoid Ideological Competition With Beijing (Thomas Pepinsky and Jessica Chen Weiss):
Framing U.S. strategy as a competition between democracy and authoritarianism is also likely to alienate countries that see limited ideological attraction in either the United States or China (and that, in any case, are driven less by ideological affinity than by national interests). And there is the related challenge of how strictly to define “democratic.” On the one hand, it would be counterproductive for the United States to set too high a bar for joining the democratic tent. But the opposite approach—calling partners “democratic” while overlooking their domestic abuses—would dilute the term, opening the United States to charges of hypocrisy and undermining U.S. moral leadership.
How valuable is the censored list to each company? It's their proprietary asset. Why? No one will hand it to you. You can't communicate openly about what needs to be censored. Authorities definitely won't give you a specific list. So you have to come up with your own list. And if you do it well, that will give you a leg up in the competition.
UTS:ACRI/BIDA Poll 2021: Australian views on the Australia-China relationship (Elena Collins and Paul Burke):
Support for building stronger connections and ties, a strong relationship: Approximately six in 10 Australians (61 percent) believe that Australia should continue to try to build strong connections and ties, and have a strong relationship with China.
Concerns: Approximately three-quarters of Australians (74 percent) express concerns about Australia’s relationship with China.
Benefits: About six in 10 Australians (62 percent) also say they see the benefits of Australia’s relationship with China.
Mistrust of the Chinese government: The majority of Australians (76 percent) express mistrust of the Chinese government.
The Australian government’s management of China relations: A minority of Australians (32 percent) say that the Australian government is managing Australia’s relationship with China well.
A harder Australian government line on China: Approximately six in 10 Australians (63 percent) believe that the Australian government should take a harder line with respect to its policies dealing with China.
The email form of this post may be clipped due to length. Click on “View entire message” at the bottom to see it in full. To view in browser, click here.
Made in China Journal:
- Beijing from Below: A Conversation with Harriet Evans
- (Self-)Censorship and Chinese Feminist Networking in a Global Perspective
China Media Project:
Pew Research Center:
- Americans have less confidence in key world leaders – including Biden – than other global publics do
- China’s Population Bust
- Will China Save the US from Inflation Fears?
- How Latin America Should Navigate US-China Tensions
- China’s climate sincerity is being put to the test
- The anti-graft unit of China’s Communist Party has grown in power
- China says it will be a “museum power” by 2035
- Foreigners rush inside the Great Wall
- Uyghur groups want to take China to the International Criminal Court
Australian Financial Review:
- The message from the G7 is that the West has its limits with China
- Morrison is up for post-G7 crusade
- How the US can avoid being trapped in a war over Taiwan
- Australia’s China politics heats up
- Beijing wants more children, but only a certain kind
- China overtakes America in presidential diplomacy
- Malaysia – and no Southeast Asian nation – should be bullied by China
East Asia Forum:
- Getting real about US–China cooperation
- Australia’s war drum to nowhere on Taiwan
- Embattled China seeks greater technological self-reliance
Pearls and Irritations:
- The Tiananmen Square massacre: the one sided story
- London reports on Hong Kong: politics undercut analysis
- Why the Western narrative of China’s ‘debt trap diplomacy’ is another big lie
- The ambitions and reality of the Quad
- Extraordinary claims on Covid-19’s origin require extraordinary evidence
- Morrison’s G7 trip: ‘Golden era’ of China relations over as united response begins
- Mapping China’s Tech Giants: Covid-19, supply chains and strategic competition
- The Millennial Cadres Running China’s Neighborhoods
- A Gaokao Expert Speaks: Scores Don’t Mean Security, Money Does
- China Fantasizes About a ‘Low-Desire’ Life
- Bodies of Work: Why Chinese Photographers Feel Pressured to Conform
- In Workplace Rights Debate, Who’s Looking Out for China’s Interns?
- What If China’s Migrant Data Was Wrong?
- Why Big Boats Can’t Replace Hainan’s Small-Scale Fishers
- Hidden Dragon: The Man Who Helped Chinese Film Go Global
- China reacts to the conclusions of the NATO summit
- China is intensifying efforts to check the “chaotic” power of online celebrity fan clubs
- European companies have no intention of decoupling from China
- These are what the US sees as its biggest weaknesses against China
Politico China Watcher:
Politico China Direct:
Protocol | China:
The Wire China:
- The Meituan Takeaway
- Clyde Prestowitz on the China Fallacy
- China Digs a Hole for Bitcoin Miners
- Will China Save the U.S. from Inflation Fears?
- The Titan of Taiwan
- Stuck in the Middle with TSMC
- The politicalization of COVID vaccines in Taiwan
- China accuses G7 of slander and ‘Cold War thinking’ as Biden emphasizes values
- Hong Kong singer Karen Mok is sorry about donning racist D&G, which she says was an ‘oversight’ on her part
- ‘China out’: Demonstrations at Chinese consulate on Philippines Independence Day
- Jeremy Lin announces return to CBA’s Beijing Ducks
- Tencent’s game studio tries to combat employee burnout by banning long working hours — but will others follow suit?
- Didi the Uber-slayer set for the world’s biggest initial public offering
- Hong Kong expands film censorship under national security law
- Zhang Hong lost his vision at age 21. Then he climbed Mt. Everest
- ‘The Ark’: Inside a Chinese hospital during COVID-19
- China passes anti-sanctions law to push back on Western pressure
- Puppies and kittens reign supreme for childless young Chinese
- U.S. Senate plans to spend hundreds of billions to counter China
- Chinese internet reacts to woman complaining about boys in female changing rooms
- A look inside Shein, the $45 billion retail enigma upending the global fashion industry
- Chinese e-grocers Dingdong Maicai and Miss Fresh both file for U.S. IPO
- The Zunghar–Qing Wars and colonization in Central Asia
- Chinese vaccine diplomacy pays off with strengthened Southeast Asia ties
- Sleepless in Chengdu
Congressional Research Service:
Center for Strategic and International Studies:
Center for Advanced China Research:
- The CCP's next century: expanding economic control, digital governance and national security
- Jude Blanchette on the Chinese Communist Party at 100
- China fights back against Western sanctions and blacklists
- Mikko Huotari on the CCP and what Europe needs to prepare for
- China's toolkit against sanctions - Shaping global narratives - Three-child policy
- EU-US summits - Economic relations - International Procurement Instrument
U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission:
Carnegie Endowment for International Peace:
Australia-China Relations Institute:
- UTS:ACRI/BIDA Poll 2021: Australian views on the Australia-China relationship
- Perspectives | How much protection does the World Trade Organization provide for Australian barley and wine?
Observer Research Foundation:
- The SARS-CoV-2 virus spreads in more ways than one: A challenge and an opportunity
- BRICS Dialogue on global health: Digital health solutions
- Eastern Ladakh, the Longer Perspective
- Have India-China managed to convince the world of peace at Galwan?
- Is China backtracking on its wolf warrior diplomatic style?
- Battling Chinese Big Tech encroachment in India
- Change in the cryptocurrency currents: Fast-evolving ecosystem of e-cash in China and India
- Sino Techno-Nationalism Powers Through With ‘China Manufacturing 2025’
- The Artemis Accords and Global Lunar Governance
- Beijing’s belligerence and Dhaka’s pushback
- China on mind, US reboots its priorities
- China and the west: competing traditions make true friendship highly unlikely – here’s why
- Areas in Africa with more Chinese-backed projects were more likely to experience protests
- Four reasons why G7 climate finance initiative will struggle against China’s Belt and Road
- G7 showed that post-Trump, the world has shifted
- Morrison’s dilemma: Australia needs a dual strategy for its trade relationship with China
- China-Backed SEZs Linked to Southeast Asia’s Illegal Wildlife Trade
- China’s Repression of the Hui: A Slow Boil
- What the G-7 Summit in Cornwall Means for Asia
- Is Nepal Now Courting India and Ignoring China?
- The Politics of China’s Space Power
- Good China-Russia Relations Are Here to Stay
- Dragon Boat Festival and Chinese Nation-Building in Xinjiang
- Emerging Ethnic Affairs Policy Specialist Chen Run’er Could Take Over as Xinjiang Party Secretary
- The Promise and Peril of Technological Competition
- The Soviet Origins of Xi’s Xinjiang Policy
- 5G and the Contested China-India Border
- Pentagon Completes China Policy Review
- Konfrontasi in the Skies
- What’s Next in the Meng Wanzhou Extradition Trial?
- China Passes New Law on ‘Countering Foreign Sanctions’
- Rocket on Pad, China Ready to Send First Crew to Space Station
- In the ‘Three-Child’ Era, China Must Confront Embedded Misogyny
- China’s Myanmar Policy ‘Not Affected’ by Post-Coup Chaos: Official
- China and the Agreement to Prevent Unregulated High Seas Fisheries in the Central Arctic Ocean
- Hungarian Policy Toward China Might Be Facing a Seismic Shift
- Beijing’s Tried-and-Tested Plan to Hollow out Hong Kong’s Legislature
- How Chinese Unmanned Platforms Could Degrade Taiwan’s Air Defense and Disable a US Navy Carrier
- Former Indian Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale on the Tiananmen Square Massacre
- Hungarians Spurn Chinese-Backed University Campus
- Taiwan, US Trade Officials Set to Meet in ‘Coming Weeks’
- Was Taiwan Ever Really a Part of China?
- It’s Russia, Stupid (For Now)
- Tom Tugendhat Is the British MP China Hates Most
- The Sneaky Conservatism of China’s Feminist Dramas
- U.S.-China Spat Over Taiwan Extends to Vaccine Diplomacy
- Across the North Korean Border in China, an Economic Winter That Never Ends
- Vaccine Diplomacy Boosts China’s Standing in Latin America
- No European Honeymoon in Biden’s First Overseas Trip
- China’s Diplomacy Is Limiting Its Own Ambitions
- Beijing Plans a Slow Genocide in Xinjiang
- Pacific Commanders Want More Money for Biden’s Asia Pivot
- US-China competition in climate cooperation a good thing for Southeast Asia
- While the US sets new goals for G7, China sets new goals for itself
- Indian researcher on the pandemic: It's a tragedy but India will continue to do its part
- Japan’s weapons transfers to Southeast Asia: Opportunities and challenges
- What removing the defence budget cap means for Japan’s role in the Indo-Pacific
- A question of human rights: Is China an aggressor and oppressor?
- Can Malaysia handle intrusions by the Chinese air force?
- Will e-CNY spur the internationalisation of the RMB?
- Chinese financial institutions drawn to Singapore and Southeast Asian markets
- Suspension of China-EU investment deal: A hiccup in the short run but a major loss if prolonged
- China stories: Let’s not always focus on the negatives
- China's university entrance exam: Do Beijingers get a sweeter deal?
- An apple tree in Shaanxi tells a story: China’s quest to eradicate rural poverty
National People's Congress Observer:
- NPCSC Grants Broader Legislative Powers to Shanghai & Hainan, Widens Scope of Public Interest Litigation by Procuratorates
- NPCSC Seeks Public Comments on Draft Legal Aid Law, Physicians Law, Vocational Education Law Revision & Audit Law Amendment
What's on Weibo:
Chaoyang Trap House:
- Three top financial regulators on inflation, green finance, monetary policy, financial risk…
- Xi's full speech on science & tech on May 28
Tracking People's Daily:
- Protecting Rights & Interests of Military Personnel a 'Major Measure' - Achieving Technology Self-reliance - Zhong Sheng Commentary on US-Taiwan Vaccine Diplomacy
- Gas Explosion in Shiyan - Dragon Boat Patriotism - Xinjiang Push in Japan - G7 Communique
- New Ant-Sanctions Law - Rectification Campaign Data - Pursuing 'Self-Revolution' - Hambantota Energy Deal
- Xi's Qinghai Visit - Li on Investment Plans - Wang Warns ROK on 'Indo-Pacific Strategy' - How does one 'inherit the red gene'?
- Trade Data - China-CEEC Expo - Anti-Sanctions Law - ILD Chief on Foreign Work
- Marxist System & Chinese Exceptionalism - Wang wants ASEAN to Push 'Asian Values' - 'Political Microbes' & Self-Revolution
The India China Newsletter:
Eye on China:
- Galwan Anniversary - Blinken-Yang Chat - G7 Meeting - Xuanyan Commentaries - Rectification Campaign - Trade Data - Anti-Sanctions & Data Security Laws - Af-Pak Trilateral - Vaccine Diplomacy
Takshashila PLA Insight:
- China-India Brief; China's Hypersonic Weapons; The South China Sea; Taiwan; PLA Personnel Watch: Lt Gen Wu Yanan; Space; Deterrence Signalling
Beijing to Britain:
China Research Group:
Hong Kong Free Press:
- Don’t judge Hong Kong judges – at least not all the time
- If Hong Kong universities want to keep politics off campus, maybe the purge should start at the top?
- June 12 two years on: Why Hongkongers’ collective memory and spirit of resistance endures
- Hijacking the truth: how repressive governments worldwide cracked down on press freedom
- “Going to America”: An overview on Taiwanese Migration to the US
- China and Taiwan: The ‘One-China’ Policy and the Controversy of ‘Vaccine Diplomacy’
- Avoiding a Military Conflict over Taiwan
- Is it Time to Relinquish Taiwan?
- The US’ Role in the Most Dangerous Place on Earth: Not Handling the Taiwan Issue Alone
- The Biden Administration’s Taiwan Policy: More Meaningful Support?
- Taiwan Is ‘a’ Dangerous Location on Earth
- The growing dangers of potential U.S. – China conflict
- 也谈“我的二本学生” ——从毕业论文说起
- 高山仰止 景行行止
- 讲好党的故事 传承红色基因（庆祝中国共产党成立100周年专论）
- 坚持以人民为中心深化改革开放 深入推进青藏高原生态保护和高质量发展
- 习近平在青海考察时强调 坚持以人民为中心深化改革开放 深入推进青藏高原生态保护和高质量发展
END OF DIGEST