Neican Digest aggregates new China-related publications.
Subscribe to China Neican and join thousands of policymakers, researchers, and business and media professionals. If you are already a fan, please spread the word:
- Date range: June 29 - July 9, 2021
- Sources scanned: 86
- Content: 319 publications from 57 sources
- Download raw data (.csv)
The email form of this post may be clipped due to length. Click on “View entire message” at the bottom to see it in full. To view in browser, click here.
- Lancang-Mekong Cooperation: China’s Institutional Shield
- Sino-Vatican Provisional Agreement: Unresolved issues
- China’s Guinea Pig? Xinjiang as a testing ground for religious policies
- Taiwan’s View of the Trump Administration
Reading the China Dream:
- Zhang Weiwei on Telling China's Story
- Yao Yang and Qin Zizhong on Confucianism and Inequality
- Fang Ning and Feng Jungong on Post-Xiaokang Chinese Society
- Yang Xiong on Educational Involution
China Media Project:
- Strategies for the China Story
- A Fifth Center Rounds Out Xi’s Hold on Policy
- Another Milestone for Xi Jinping Thought
- Historical Revisions
- Aerospace Executive’s Tantrum Goes Viral
- Bowing to the Chief
- Raise the Banner High
- The Blade That Kills Bloodlessly
Pew Research Center:
- China’s international image remains broadly negative as views of the U.S. rebound
- Large Majorities Say China Does Not Respect the Personal Freedoms of Its People
- Most Americans Have ‘Cold’ Views of China. Here’s What They Think About China, In Their Own Words
- A Chinese film removes scenes featuring a young Mao Zedong
- In China, patriotic nostalgia is big business
- Deep in rural China, bitcoin miners are packing up
- A silo-building spree raises questions about China’s nukes
- China urges its people to struggle. Some say no
- Xi warns against Western “bullies”, to argue for one-party rule
- China’s next aircraft-carrier will be its biggest
- The Philippines’ secret weapon against Chinese incursions
- China is not happy about Myanmar’s coup
- One year on, here’s how China’s national security law has changed Hong Kong
- Don’t panic about China’s new nuclear capabilities
- Two of China’s Belt and Road projects reveal a flaw in the G-7′s new global financing plan
Australian Financial Review:
- Even in the Gobi Desert, the Party goes on
- Biden’s China policy still a work in progress
- While China parades its power, Australia wonders what’s next
- China’s forced invisibility of LGBTQ communities on social media
- Ukraine: Balancing China and the rest
- Hsinchu: Taiwan’s city at the centre of China’s conundrum
East Asia Forum:
- The reality of China’s fertility decline
- The rise of boys’ love drama in China
- Taiwan’s China dependency is a double-edged sword
- Why are Chinese troops assembling on the Myanmar border?
- Biden needs to end the tariff war with China
- Harnessing the benefits of automation in the Asia Pacific
Pearls and Irritations:
- A close run thing in Hong Kong in 2019.
- Hong Kong and Taiwan: seeking perspectives
- Xi Jinping’s CPC centenary speech: Is there cause for alarm?
- Alex Lo-How ‘Five Eyes’ allies eat Australia’s lunch over China trade
- Grenville Cross-Rule of law in HongKong- Protecting criminal justice operatives from violence.
- The axis of evil shaping our minds, on China and more
- The Chinese Communist Party: does it stay or does it go?
- Hong Kong’s stability is being restored.
- Grenville Cross-Closure of Apple Daily in Hong Kong and the political obsessions of one man .
- A sinking DFAT has given policy making over to ASPI
- How many are fleeing Hong Kong?
- The consequences of China's "Comprehensive Jurisdiction" over Hong Kong
- The Chinese Communist Party and the people
- Xi Jinping's CPC centenary speech: Is there cause for alarm?
- From the bookshelf: ‘Invisible China: how the urban–rural divide threatens China’s rise’
- The Chinese Communist Party and the people
- The ‘great, glorious, and correct Party!’
- The 100-year-old Chinese Communist Party: what’s next?
- #StopAsianHate: Chinese diaspora targeted by CCP disinformation campaign
- Getting out of our defensive crouch: developing Australia’s asymmetric warfare capability
- India, China and the Quad’s defining test
- Australia–China relations and the travails of transition
- The GenZ Grads Helping You Help Yourself
- Digging for the Roots of China's Archaeology Craze
- Shanghai Leads Way in China’s Carbon Transition
- Can Giving Circles Break Down the Barriers to Philanthropy in China?
- Song Ta Scandal Puts Art World's Sexism on Full Display
- Can China’s Fishing Villages Make a Comeback?
- For Gay Migrants, Cruising Spots Aren’t Just Shadows and Shame
- How China Got Marx
- The Jewish Refugees Who Fought for China
- The Mysterious Ancient City That’s Rewriting Chinese History
- Bones of Contention: China’s Unhappy Cosmetic Surgery Patients
- The Story Behind China’s ‘Dragon Man’ Discovery
- Children of the Revolution: The Lives of China’s Model Communists
China Digital Times:
- Draconian Sentences For Tibetan Monks After Monastery Raid
- Translation: Censors Erase Father’s Grief After Shenzhen Factory Suicide
- On 100th Anniversary of CCP, Xi Declares Triumph of Socialism
- Hong Kong’s Free Media Forced To Self-Censor; First National Security Trial Held
- Translation: Timeline of Court Rulings Removed from the Internet
- Didi showcases Beijing’s tug of war between data flows and data security
- A soy milk company is feeling the pain of Hong Kong’s latest flashpoint with Beijing
- Read Xi Jinping’s full speech from the 100th anniversary of the Communist Party
- Pay attention to the world leaders praising China’s Communist Party on its 100th birthday
- Europeans are starting to feel a little bit better about China
- Global opinion of China’s handling of Covid-19 is now dramatically more positive
- China has eliminated malaria
Politico China Watcher:
- ‘Deeply alarmed’: China now ahead of U.S. on privacy law
- After 100 years, China’s Communist Party remains a black box
Politico China Direct:
- Xi’s calling — EU’s 9-month plan — 007 in Munich
- Party turns 100 — Slovenia reheats frozen deal — €24M answer to Confucius
- Chinese gene firm that stores data from prenatal test used worldwide has PLA links
- Tencent launches a space program
- Maybe fifth time’s the charm for this Chinese woman trying to divorce her abusive husband
- Reexamining Chinese economic reform from the 1980s to present
- Retracing the Long March: Middle-class dreams and mudslides
- Did China take another step to financial decoupling with new VIE rules?
- ‘Ethnic extinction’ in northwest China
- There will never be another airport like Hong Kong’s Kai Tak
- Didi drops 20% after IPO as Beijing tightens data security review
- WeChat terminates LGBT+ accounts of Chinese college students in overnight crackdown
- China men’s basketball to miss Olympics for first time since 1984
- China beefs up military position with more Indian border units, desert missile silos, navy forces
- Sony faces anger on Chinese internet for now-canceled event on July 7, the anniversary of Japan’s invasion of China
- China’s Anti-Foreign Sanctions Law: Concerns and uncertainty abound
- China’s rise is ‘unstoppable,’ Xi declares in Tiananmen speech marking 100th anniversary of CCP
- Following the Long March: A pilgrimage of the CCP’s journey
- Why there are so few women in Chinese politics
- From Sneevliet to Xi: How Chinese communism has endured and evolved over 100 years
- Retracing the Long March: A red pilgrimage on motorbike
- China is officially malaria-free, says WHO
- Chinese parents defend son’s choice to wear skirt, sparking conversations about gender-neutral parenting
- Dispatch from Shanghai: The Chinese Communist Party at 100
- In the 7th century, a Chinese coup of Shakespearean proportions
- CCP marks 100th anniversary with extravagant performance, awards for ‘ordinary heroes’
- Twilight Gradients
- From cash to celebrity photos and even temporary boyfriends: What Shanghai is offering for COVID-19 vaccinations
Congressional Research Service:
- RL33153| China Naval Modernization: Implications for U.S. Navy Capabilities—Background and Issues for Congress
- IF10982| China’s Engagement with Latin America and the Caribbean
Center for Strategic and International Studies:
- Xi’s new slogan for China’s trajectory: "Time and momentum are on our side"
- Chinese crackdown sends shudders through tech sector
- China Briefing: Crackdown on tech firms + CCP centenary + Hong Kong National Security Law
- Maria Repnikova on China’s media: “an increase in sophistication of control and adaptability”
- Dire Straits: Taiwan’s fragile status quo
- China Industries Briefing: Smart car standards - Auto recycling - Blockchain
Carnegie Endowment for International Peace:
- The West Should Not Be Complacent About China’s Cyber Capabilities
- Competition Among Russia, China, and United States Heats Up in Antarctic
- What Will Be the Impact of China’s State-Sponsored Digital Currency?
Center for Security and Emerging Technology:
Chicago Council on Global Affairs:
Australia-China Relations Institute:
Observer Research Foundation:
- Time to end the battle of Indian pharmaceutical players and Chinese key ingredients
- As CCP turns 100, attention must shift to its influence operations
- Challenges and Opportunities for India in the Post-Pandemic Geopolitical Landscape
- Rebalancing forces against China: An ongoing process or a paradigm shift?
- The China Question: The Party, The Propaganda, and The Schools
- Hong Kong’s jurists to weigh principles of justice v/s national interest
- Unabating tension with China spurs India’s border infrastructure efforts
- Can Taiwan rely on Australia when it comes to China? New poll shows most Australians don’t want to send the ADF
- 3 reasons China could be an alternative mediator in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- Cultural sensitivity or censorship? Lecturers are finding it difficult to talk about China in class
- Tiangong: astronauts are working on China’s new space station – here’s what to expect
- Sanctions on China won’t help Uyghurs and other migrant workers
- The Communist Party claims to have brought prosperity and equality to China. Here’s the real impact of its rule
- China’s ‘one-child policy’ left at least 1 million bereaved parents childless and alone in old age, with no one to take care of them
- Academic freedom is paramount for universities. They can do more to protect it from China’s interference
- Fifty years after Whitlam’s breakthrough China trip, the Morrison government could learn much from it
- How Are Taiwan’s Diplomatic Allies Faring in the Great Vaccine Race?
- The CCP Deserves Credit for China’s Phenomenal Economic Growth
- Chinese Rideshare Giant Didi in Hot Water
- On China’s Doorstep, Laos Plays a Careful Game of Balancing
- What Do Filipino Maoists Think of China Now?
- CCP Martyrs ‘Still Youthful’ in New Film
- Australia Denies Interfering in China’s Pacific Vaccine Help
- Time to Confront China’s ‘Counterterrorism’ Claims in Xinjiang
- The Chinese Muslim Diaspora in Mecca: Lessons for the BRI in the Middle East
- China’s Social Credit System: Fact vs. Fiction
- At 100, Chinese Communist Party in Renewed Drive for Legitimacy
- A Tale of 2 Navies: Reviewing India and China’s Aircraft Carrier Procurement
- Dire Straits: Taiwan’s Fragile Status Quo
- China Will No Longer Be a Developing Country After 2023. Its Climate Actions Should Reflect That.
- Ahead of CCP Anniversary, Kazakh Activists Protesting China’s Xinjiang Policies Detained
- US Firms Cannot Ignore the Growing Risks of a Possible China-US Military Conflict
- China Celebrates 100 Years of the CCP
- Does China Weaponize Lending?
- How the CCP Uses History
- China-Russia: A Strategic Partnership Short on Strategy
- The CCP Can’t Take Credit for China’s Phenomenal Economic Growth
- Reading Between the Lines of the CCP’s Centennial Propaganda Blitz
- Biden in Europe: G-7, NATO, and China
- When Japan Waged a Currency War Against China
- China’s Repression Reaches Australian Universities
- Can Taiwan Provide the Alternative to Digital Authoritarianism?
- Beijing Eyes New Military Bases Across the Indo-Pacific
- What Didi Got Wrong
- Why Do Analysts Keep Talking Nonsense About Chinese Words?
- As China Rises, Britain and Australia Need Closer Security Ties
- What in the World?
- The CCP’s Greatest Strength Is “Self-Reinvention”
- China Is Radically Expanding Its Nuclear Missile Silos
- The World Doesn’t Want Beijing’s Fighter Jets
- Biden’s “Build Back Better World” Is an Empty Competitor to China
- Biden Needs an International Organizations Strategy
- Chinese ambassador Hong Xiaoyong on CPC’s centenary: Towards a brighter future
- What’s stopping Hong Kong from fixing its housing crisis?
- American academic: US-Vietnam military relations hampered by Chinese influence
- Will the UK's Royal Navy conduct a freedom of navigation operation in the South China Sea?
- Why is Beijing punishing Didi?
- How China might just win the China-US competition of governance systems
- China everything: Where has America’s confidence gone?
- Ride-hailing giant Didi slapped with Chinese cybersecurity review days after IPO
- PLA overflight near Malaysian airspace: A precarious provocation
- Didi COO and family called 'traitors': Chinese tech entrepreneurs now public enemies on social media?
- Price of the American dream: Do immigrants have to forget their past?
- Fudan University's murder case: China must look after returning top talents
- More Chinese youths proud to be associated with the CCP
- Death follows as people push into elephant enclave
- Chinese academic: Why the CCP honoured Yuan Longping, the 'father of hybrid rice'
National People's Congress Observer:
What's on Weibo:
- This ‘Chinese Lego’ Brand Takes Its Toy Space Mission VERY Seriously
- 100 Years Communist Party Celebrations: Xi’s Speech on Weibo
- Hong Kong Police Officer Knifed in Causeway Bay Incident, Suspect Dies After Stabbing Himself
Chaoyang Trap House:
- Ren Zhengfei's trip to the U.S. three decades ago
- How Ren Zhengfei grew up, in the Huawei founder's own writing
Tracking People's Daily:
- Xi's Tech Focus - PLA Must Study July 1 Speech - Chinese Media's Social Responsibility Performance - Zhong Sheng Commentary on HK
- Xi Thought Center on Ecology - Xi Talks to Greek and Czech Leaders - State Council on Medical Insurance, Workers Rights and Real Economy - 'Ironclad' Ties with Pak - Party's 'Spiritual Construction'
- Xi's Speech to Political Parties - 'Shelving Disputes' for Progress - Securities Crackdown - Sinicization of Marxism
- Xi Talks to Macron & Merkel - 'People’s Democracy' - WTC's Xu Qiling Promoted - Party Studies July 1 Speech - Economic Development & Road Ahead
- Food Security - Xiaokang - Politics First in Party Building
- It's all about Xi's Centenary Speech
- Centenary Editorial - Party Membership Breakdown - Xi's Foreign Policy - 'People's' History
- Centenary Celebrations - The July 1 Medal - Xi's 'Historic Achievements' - 'ABCDE' of the CCP Model
- China-Russia Joint Statement - Party Line on 1962 War & Tiananmen - 18 Key Xi Thought Centers - The Qualities Xi Wants in Cadres
The India China Newsletter:
- Modi speaks to the Dalai Lama, PLA reshuffles, Didi's troubles, Xi throws a party, and the art of lying flat
- Control, chaos, and the Communist Party of China at 100 - all you need to know
Eye on China:
- LAC & Indo-Pacific - Ideology & India-China Ties - Xi's Centenary Speech - Party Membership - China-Russia Ties - Camouflage Controversy in SL - Quetta Attacks - Pew's China Perceptions Survey
Takshashila PLA Insight:
- China's 100 New DF-41 Silos; China-India Brief; Naval and Merchant Ships Magazine; J-20s and CCP Centenary
Beijing to Britain:
Hong Kong Free Press:
- Hong Kong’s gov’t must stop squandering taxpayer money on multiple, futile attempts to hinder LGBT+ equality
- There’s no politics left in Hong Kong, and not much rule of law either
- What’s wrong with Hong Kong becoming a police state?
- Choice of an ex-policeman as Hong Kong’s number two signals Beijing’s nervousness in election year
- The CCP at 100: How a Marxist party learnt to change with the times
- Despite the anniversary bluster, many Hongkongers are not in a party mood
- The Political and Economic Implications from Taiwan’s Covid-19 resilience performance
- Harnessing national digital power to prevent COVID-19: the case of Taiwan
- Taiwan’s Economy: GDP Growth is a Bright Spot for Now
- The ‘Sahara’ of Taiwan: A New Local Geopark and the Potentials of Sand Dunes
- Eggplantegg: Taiyu Language Proliferation and Linguistic Diversity in Taiwan’s Popular Music Scene
- The Fear Factor: [Chinese] Censorship on Taiwanese Popular Music
- Which Nation’s National Music? – A Critical Introduction of Contemporary Chinese Orchestra in Taiwan
- Confessions from a Former Fan Girl
- 何日再续改革缘？——“改革师者” 高尚全先生祭
- 学史明理 学史增信 学史崇德 学史力行
- 坚持和践行全过程民主 推进新时代立法工作高质量发展
- 小康路上手挽手 走出一条康庄道
- 赓续红色血脉 汲取前进力量
- 坚定对党的领导的自信 走好新的赶考之路
- 明理增信悟初心 崇德力行增本领
END OF DIGEST