China Analysis Digest #21
Neican Digest aggregates and lists new China-related analyses. This series is published weekly. Thanks go to Katharina Ni for the magic (writing the codes) that makes this possible.
Subscribe to China Neican and join thousands of policymakers, researchers, and business and media professionals. If you are already a fan, please spread the word:
- Date range: July 15-22, 2021
- Sources scanned: 86
- Content: 252 publications from 49 sources
- Download raw data (.csv)
The email form of this post may be clipped due to length. Click on “View entire message” at the bottom to see it in full. To view in browser, click here.
Made in China Journal:
- The Work of Culture
- Then and Now
- The Yirenping Experience: Looking Back and Pushing Forward
- From Green Shoots to Crushed Petals: Labour NGOs in China
- China’s Human Rights Lawyers: Rifts and Schisms in an Era of Global Human Rights Backlash
- Unfinished Revolution: An Overview of Three Decades of LGBT Activism in China
- Humility in the Pursuit of Tacit Knowledge: Public-Benefit Work in Poverty Alleviation and Rural Development
- Pioneers and Possibilities: Reflecting on Chinese NGO Development through Oral History
- Is China’s Belt and Road Initiative Slowing Down?
- Will There Be a Civil Society in the Xi Jinping Era? Advocacy and Non-Profit Organising in the New Regime
- Railroaded: The Financial Politics and the Labour Puzzle of Global China
China Media Project:
- Will China Retaliate Against U.S. Chip Sanctions?
- After Didi Fiasco, China Imposes Cybersecurity Reviews on Foreign IPOs
- Hong Kong’s National Security Law and the Right to a Fair Trial: Mission Impossible?
- Rapidly Implementing a Chinese Data Security Regime
- Expanding and Escalating the China-Bhutan Territorial Dispute
- The PLA’s Critical Assessment of the Agile Combat Employment Concept
- Implications of 2020 and 2021 Chinese Domestic Legislative Moves in the South China Sea
- Ramping the Strait: Quick and Dirty Solutions to Boost Amphibious Lift
- The Experiment Podcast: Americans Kept Getting Seeds in the Mail From China Last Year. We Finally Know Why.
- Academics in Hong Kong suffer curbs on their freedoms
- China is keeping its borders closed, and turning inward
- In China’s publishing business, you have to duck and dive
- How nationalism is making life harder for gay people in China
Australian Financial Review:
East Asia Forum:
- Clarifying US commitments to Taiwan
- Stumbling blocks to ASEAN-China smart city cooperation
- Is non-alignment making a comeback in Asia?
- What lies between China’s nationalism and growth?
Pearls and Irritations:
- After a century of achievements, the CPC’s next critical phase begins now
- A Flight with Henry Kissinger to Beijing that Changed the World
- The Afghanistan failure is history repeating itself but there may be profound consequences.
- The CCP’s greatest strength is “Self-Reinvention”
- Boris sends naval fleet to revive British colonialism on the Chinese coast
- Did China buy Cambridge?
- Rule of law in Hong Kong: Judicial safety and foreign hypocrites
- Why is Australia talking about going back to Afghanistan when we only just left?
- Can Beijing avoid being drawn into the Afghan quagmire?
- Chinese state-backed hacking: time to level the playing field and breach the Great Firewall
- Peter Hessler’s Last Class
- Crammer vs. Crammer: Notes from a Civil Service Crash Course
- Inside Aranya, China’s Exclusionary Paradise
- Is This the End For China’s American Education Craze?
- The New-Style Family Values Underpinning the ‘China Dream’
- The Snake in China’s Literary Garden
- How the Chili Pepper Conquered China
- The Biggest Losers From China’s Aging Crisis? Millennials.
- From Inner Mongolia, a Stark Vision of Our Environmental Sins
China Digital Times:
- From the Lexicon: Milk Tea Alliance
- Translation: The Curse of the Security Check
- Translation: One Nationalist Fang Fang Hater’s “Coming of Age”
- Translation: “Getting Used to Keeping Quiet” in Face of Nationalist Aggression
- A legendary Chinese dissident blogger has suddenly fallen silent
- Why Hong Kong’s proposed doxxing law alarms Google and Facebook
- China’s new carbon market isn’t designed to fix climate change
- How to know you’re the target of Chinese state-sponsored hackers, according to US intelligence
- The face of global luxury brands in China is at the heart of a #MeToo storm
- China’s rare earth hub is rolling out massive subsidies to fix the industry’s Achilles heel
Politico China Watcher:
- Hong Kong refugee hopes are no match for U.S. bureaucracy
- ‘Get off our duff’: In race to outer space, China is closing fast
Politico China Direct:
- EU’s mixed messaging — First Assad, next Wendy — Deadly flood
- From Kabul to Kyiv — Buying war games — Forced labor reminder
The Wire China:
- Who Is 5Y Capital?
- Farewell to a Community of Common Destiny?
- Zuoyue Wang on the History of Chinese Students at U.S. Universities
- Made In China — By Machines
- The Sponge Revolution
- China’s complicated relationship with LGBTQ+ rights
- America’s second most senior diplomat heads to Tianjin, the Chinese capital’s satellite city
- Tech companies donate a billion yuan as Zhengzhou grapples with flood damage
- Beijing Lights: ‘I feel excited about the new beginning’
- The Manchu queue: One hairstyle to rule them all
- Passengers trapped in Zhengzhou subway as floodwaters rise
- A real Karen decided that congee needed a ‘modern adaptation’ for Western palate
- China and the Arab League publish joint statement that showcases Beijing’s growing geopolitical ambitions
- The China-Australia trade war is hurting Mongolia’s environment
- Advertisers flee mega pop star Kris Wu over allegations of predatory behavior
- U.S. and allies accuse China of ‘malicious cyber activity,’ including Microsoft Exchange hack
- China at the Tokyo Olympics: What to watch for
- Beijing demands Hong Kong build ‘iron wall’ of national security as Washington warns businesses of political risk
- What the Didi fiasco reveals about China’s fealty to markets
- Chinese father faces murder charges in the deaths of his two young children
- China’s left-behind villages and the people in them
- The world’s largest carbon market is finally about to start trading in China
- Chinese influencer’s death after liposuction highlights dangers of plastic surgery
- Why the U.S. should avoid ideological competition with China
- Retracing the Long March: Arriving at the revolutionary capital
Congressional Research Service:
Center for Advanced China Research:
- GDP growth slows and finds solid footing
- China’s economy performed well in Q2 though slower growth triggered policy responses
- EU-China Weekly Review: Cyber attacks + Merkel meets Biden + EU Parliament endorses new report
- UK-China relations as viewed by Chinese think tanks and academics: Cautious optimism remains
- Alternatives to China’s tech authoritarianism a priority for transatlantic action
Carnegie Endowment for International Peace:
- What Makes This Attribution of Chinese Hacking Different
- Have Friendly Malaysia-China Relations Gone Awry?
Australia-China Relations Institute:
- Perspectives | An Australian perspective on the People’s Republic of China’s national emissions trading scheme
- Perspectives | Implications of the new wave of nationalism in the People’s Republic of China for Australian companies
Observer Research Foundation:
- Can China’s ‘new urban strategy’ save its cities from the looming climate crisis?
- On China, the end of delusion and persistence of stalemate
- China-India Foreign Ministers Meet in Dushanbe
- Xi Jinping is about to make the most important strategic decision of our era
- The beating heart of the Indo-Pacific strategy is the South China Sea
- Japan signals a ‘sense of crisis’ over Taiwan — this is why it is worried about China’s military aims
- Calling out China for cyberattacks is risky — but a lawless digital world is even riskier
- Silenced in China: the COVID ‘truth-tellers’ and political dissent
- US Deputy Secretary of State to Visit China After All
- Introducing China’s Carbon Market
- New Zealand’s Statement on China’s Cyberattacks: A Shot Across the Bow
- Teen With US Ties Again on the Run From China With Fiancee
- Flooding in China’s Henan Province Kills at Least 25
- The Kris Wu Sex Scandal and China’s Search for Morality in Public Figures
- Japanese Envoy Says Tokyo ‘Struggles Every Day’ With China
- Chinese Pop Star Dumped by Brands Over Accusation of Sexual Assault
- China’s Air Incursions Into Taiwan’s ADIZ Focus on ‘Anti-Access’ and Maritime Deterrence
- US High-Level Diplomat Visits Japan, South Korea, Mongolia
- Indonesia’s Delicate Dance Between China and the US
- China’s ‘Circular 15’ Addresses Local Governments’ Hidden Debts
- China Rejects WHO Call for More Transparency on Origins Probe
- What Cultured Meat Can Tell Us About China
- Chaos in Afghanistan Threatens CPEC
- Where Does China’s Digital Currency Stand?
- What Threat Do China’s New Missile Silos Pose to the US?
- The US Needs a New China Strategy
- China-India Foreign Ministers Meet in Dushanbe
- Malaysia to Phase Out China’s Sinovac Vaccine
- Report: China Plans BioNTech Booster for Its Population
- WHO Chief Says It Was ‘Premature’ to Rule out COVID Lab Leak
- Foreign Media Face a Trust Crisis in China
- NATO Shouldn’t Try to Do Too Much on China
- Some Chinese Shun Grueling Careers for ‘Low-Desire Life’
- Connecting the Vertices: Prospects for Australia-Taiwan Relations
- A Taiwan Contingency and Japan’s Counterstrike Debate
- The Tragedy of Taiwan’s ‘Recall Revenge’
- The Road Ahead for Taiwan-US Relations
- A Missing Link in the Quad: India’s Support for Taiwan
- Time to End the U.S. Justice Department’s China Initiative
- The U.S.-China Data Fight Is Only Getting Started
- To Win Friends and Influence People, America Should Learn From the CCP
- Biden’s Dangerous Doctrine
- After 25 Years, There’s Still No South China Sea Code of Conduct
- China and the Taliban Begin Their Romance
- China Knows the Power of 5G. Why Doesn’t the U.S.?
- America’s Collapsing Meritocracy Is a Recipe for Revolt
- China Is Worried About a Post-U.S. Afghanistan
- China’s Ultramarathon Tragedy Was a Fad Gone Bad
- How Serbia Became China’s Dirty-Energy Dumping Ground
- Poll: China’s Influence Is Not Inevitable
- 'Red peril' or benign power: How different is China's CCP from USSR's CPSU?
- Washington threatening Portugal to choose between China and the US?
- Japanese academic: Will Japan send troops to 'protect' Taiwan?
- Chinese academic: Can China challenge the US’s standing in the Middle East?
- Hong Kongers losing their voice as district councillors quit?
- Can China revive its poorer western provinces?
- Zhengzhou floods: Netizens berate local government and media for inadequate response
- Not just a tech war: What China can do to better compete with the US and create a better world
- Chinese researcher: Is it appropriate to address Mao Zedong as 'the older generation' of leaders?
- Chinese economics professor: The New York I saw was not the New York I read about in books
- Why Japan is investigating Confucius Institutes in Japanese universities
- Why the Vietnamese embrace US vaccines but shun Chinese ones
What's on Weibo:
- How Social Media Is Speeding Up Zhengzhou Flooding Rescue Efforts
- “Zhengzhou, Stand Strong!” – Devastating Henan Floods Send Shockwaves on Social Media
- Is Xi a Failure? Plus: Older Gentlemen Autocrat Tendencies, Odds of Taiwan Invasion, and What's the Point of Liberal Governance Anyways?
- DiDi's Troubles, Tweets of the Week (Corruption, Waluigi+Mao, Fish Hugging, Which Ministry Works the Hardest?)
Tracking People's Daily:
- Ending the 'End of History' - CCP Success a 'Reference Point' for Others - Henan Floods - Financial Sector Opening - Wang's Mideast Tour
- Three-Child Policy - Xi's 'Visionary' Thought - Li Keqiang on Core Technologies - Cyber Attacks Pushback - Zhong Sheng Criticism of US on COVID-19
- COVID Origins Friction - Xi Thought a 'Strategic System to Guide China' - History & Loyalty in Ren Zhongping Commentary
- Xi Thought is 'Guiding Ideology' - Feature on PLA's Galwan 'Martyr' - Wang's Middle East Diplomacy - Party Building in Pvt Enterprises
- Qiushi on July 1 Speech - H1 Economic Data - Pudong New Area Plan - Afghanistan and SCO - Carbon Trading Market - US Jet in Taiwan - Wang Yi on Russia Ties
- State Council Wants Local Govts to Tighten Belts - UFWD Meeting on Development - Wang Yi at SCO - India-China Talks - Pakistan 'Attack'
The India China Newsletter:
Eye on China:
- LAC's New Normal - Pak Attack & Conspiracy - Ideological Work - Qiushi on Xi's Speech - GDP Data - Didi Review - Digital Yuan - Lavrov & Wang on Ties - US on SCS, Taiwan, HK & Xinjiang
Beijing to Britain:
- China can show historic leadership through COP15 biodiversity talks
- Brazil’s produce ‘fundamental for guaranteeing China’s food security’
Hong Kong Free Press:
- Just when you thought things couldn’t get any worse in Hong Kong…
- Beijing’s 2022 Winter Olympics: Why taking a stand on Hong Kong could pose safety risks to athletes
- Beijing’s 2022 Winter Olympics: The right time, the right place, the right people
- Foreign passport rules for the election committee again expose the hypocrisy of Hong Kong’s top officials
- Do Young People Actually Matter in Taiwanese Politics?
- Taiwan’s ongoing war against Covid-19: Sixteen months of smooth sailing and one recent squall
- Meaningful employment of digital technologies towards effective COVID-19 prevention from Taiwan’s perspective
- Taiwan’s Pandemic Control Policy in 2021 — Lockdown, Vaccine Purchase and Distribution, and Testing
- Taiwan’s Perfect Storm: Covid Spikes, Water Shortages, and Power Outages
- Taiwan and the Pandemic: Impact on Businesses and the Economy
- 立志民族伟大复兴 胸怀人类前途命运
- 不负殷切嘱托 圆梦全面小康
- 习近平对防汛救灾工作作出重要指示 要求始终把保障人民群众生命财产安全放在第一位 抓细抓实各项防汛救灾措施
- 团结合作抗疫 引领经济复苏
- 同世界各国人民深化友谊加强交流 推动构建人类命运共同体