China Analysis Digest #23
China Analysis Digest aggregates and lists new China-related analyses. Thanks to Katharina Ni for the magic (codes) that makes this series possible.
Subscribe to China Neican and join thousands of policymakers, researchers, and business and media professionals. If you are already a fan, please spread the word:
- Date range: July 29 - August 5, 2021
- Sources scanned: 86
- Content: 215 publications from 48 sources
- Download raw data (.csv)
The email form of this post may be clipped due to length. Click on “View entire message” at the bottom to see it in full. To view in browser, click here.
Reading the China Dream:
- Yao Yang on Rebuilding China's Political Philosophy
- Yao Yang on China's Democratization
- Qing Qingzi on Yang Li
China Media Project:
War on the Rocks:
- Continuity and Change in China’s Strategy to Protect Overseas Interests
- Surveying China’s Digital Silk Road in the Western Balkans
- Historic Chinese Flooding Highlights Outstanding Infrastructure Problems
- Early Warning Brief: Xi Jinping Issues Tough Warnings to Enemies Within the Party
- What the 2020 Chinese Census Tells Us About Progress in Hukou Reform
- Recent Trends in Sino-Israeli Relations Bely Lasting Warm Ties
- China’s Hypersonic Missiles: Methods and Motives
- China is rapidly building new nuclear-missile silos
- Hong Kong’s draconian new security law claims its first scalp
- Amid extreme weather, China avoids mention of climate change
Australian Financial Review:
- Market jitters only underscore China’s importance to global economy
- Why the US is quietly outshining China
East Asia Forum:
- Global green finance needs China–EU cooperation
- Making Chinese IPOs a bit more private
- Towards a rigorous Code of Conduct for the South China Sea
- Asia is in a critical position to kick-start global trade reform
- The rise of China and India’s remote humanitarian aid
Pearls and Irritations:
- The usual China-thumping and sanctimonious censuring have continued as intensely as ever.
- THE PRICE OF PRIMACY: Can the United States stop China becoming the dominant regional power?
- China threatens the West’s primacy, not its democratic systems
- China grievances conflated into demands.
- America needs a new great-power strategy
- Does Australia have a ‘one China’, ‘two Chinas’ or ‘one China, one Taiwan’ policy—or all three?
- Confessions of a Trafficking Victim
- The Working Mothers Raising Children on the Assembly Line
- Why Young Chinese Are Embracing the Funeral Industry
- My Years as a Member of China’s Academic Underclass
- For Young Chinese Academics, It’s Either Get Promoted, Or Else
- For China’s Most Beloved Team, It’s the End of an Era
- Less Than Eden: China’s Rural Returnees Face an Uncertain Future
- Chinese Shoppers Complain Bagging a Hermès Was Never Harder
China Digital Times:
- Translation/Photo Essay: Remains of the Nanzha Leco Stationery Factory
- Translation Compilation: “My Husband, John Doe”; Camera Crimes; Zhengzhou’s Men in Black; “Our Media Was Brave Once”; Alternative Voices on Henan’s Floods
- Outspoken Tycoon Sun Dawu Sentenced to 18 Years in Prison
- Translation: “The Country Has Gone Dark.” Li Huizhi’s Last Words
- Millions are again under lockdown in China because of the delta variant
- The IOC is investigating two Chinese medalists who wore Chairman Mao pins
- The Chinese internet is canceling Kris Wu after his #MeToo arrest
- Chinese battery giant CATL’s bet on sodium is a hedge against lithium
- Why China’s new ambassador to the US is unlikely to go full “wolf warrior”
- The Party’s assault on the private sector is roiling China’s billionaire ranks
Politico China Watcher:
- China’s fears increase as U.S. troops leave Afghanistan
- Lawmakers: NBA players profiting from ‘slave labor’ in China
Politico China Direct:
- Saber-rattling at sea — Delta scare — Climate stalemate
- Tianjin, Tahiti, Taliban — Finnish FM exclusive — Summer book list
The Wire China:
- China’s Animal Spirits Deficit
- Hoàng Nguyên Phong on How The Great Firewall Reflects Beijing’s Policy
- What If China Never Reopens?
- Facebook’s China Advertising
- The Lithium Liability
- Big Tech crackdown tracker
- TikTok brain drain as head of AI lab leaves ByteDance?
- The Nanchang Uprising and the birth of the PLA
- The Colors of Youth
- Delta outbreaks in Beijing and Wuhan prompt China’s strictest COVID-19 control measures since 2020
- Police arrest Kris Wu on suspicion of rape
- China’s ‘Big Tech crackdown’: A guide
- These six sports account for 70% of China’s gold in Tokyo so far
- ‘Scumbags’: Influencers caught stealing rescue boat to fake saving people in Henan floods
- Japanese gymnast targeted by Chinese trolls after Olympic win
- Delta variant fuels 171 COVID-19 cases in Nanjing, tests China’s zero tolerance virus policy
- What ‘lifting people out of poverty’ actually means in China
Congressional Research Service:
- R42784| U.S.-China Strategic Competition in South and East China Seas: Background and Issues for Congress
- RL33153| China Naval Modernization: Implications for U.S. Navy Capabilities—Background and Issues for Congress
European Council on Foreign Relations:
Center for Advanced China Research:
- EU-China Opinion Pool: The new EU connectivity initiative
- Technocratic mitigation – The European way of managing the China challenge
- MOFCOM five-year plan calls for greater diversification in trade
- EU-China climate policy – balancing cooperation and pressure
- The EU’s new connectivity agenda – What (not) to learn from the Belt and Road Initiative?
- MERICS EU-China Briefing: Europe's Connectivity Agenda + Semiconductor supply chains + Cyber weaknesses
Carnegie Endowment for International Peace:
- What’s Driving China’s Nuclear Buildup?
- What Railway Deals Taught Chinese and Brazilians in the Amazon
- Can the Yuan Ever Replace the Dollar for Russia?
Center for Security and Emerging Technology:
- China’s CyberAI Talent Pipeline
- The Huawei Moment
- National Power After AI
- China’s National Cybersecurity Center
Chicago Council on Global Affairs:
Australia-China Relations Institute:
Observer Research Foundation:
- Xi’s masterclass: Edu-tech purge spooks markets and investors
- Road to BRICS Academic Forum
- The future of BRICS
- China sees both an opportunity and a threat in Afghanistan
- Geopolitics of global climate change: Aspects of a Chinese leadership
- Shaping the market economy with Chinese characteristics
- China’s Tech Sector Regulations Are Costly But Not Shocking
- Delta Variant Challenges China’s Costly Lockdown Strategy
- Why Did China Crack Down on Its Ed-Tech Industry?
- North Korea’s Public Security Gets Lessons From China
- Macau Orders Closure of Entertainment Venues, Mass Testing
- Taiwan – Sorry, ‘Chinese Taipei’ – Is Having a Fantastic Olympics
- The Biden Administration’s China Sanctions Dilemma
- A Tale of 2 Navies: India and China’s Current Carrier and Escort Procurement
- China’s Rise, South China Sea, and Rules-Based International Order: A View From the Philippines
- China Orders Mass Testing in Wuhan as COVID-19 Outbreak Spreads
- Repression by Any Other Name: Xinjiang and the Genocide Debate
- India Should Articulate a Clearer Commitment to Tibetans
- How China Helps the Cuban Regime Stay Afloat and Shut Down Protests
- Death Toll Triples to More Than 300 in Recent China Flooding
- China in Afghanistan: Trade and Terrorism
- Why Is Beijing Micromanaging Its Technology Sector?
- ‘Produce Camp 2021’ and the Chinese Dream
- Britain Returns to Asia, to China’s Dismay
- Authoritarianism Can’t Beat Climate Change
- Reasons for Optimism in Wake of Sherman’s Visit to China
- Who Is Qin Gang, China’s New US Ambassador?
- China Is Providing an Alternative Regional Framework for South Asia
- China Targets the Private Tutoring Sector
- Rhetoric Aside, America’s Asian Partners Are Giving Up on Their Own Defense
- The Living Legacy of the Flying Tigers
- How Taiwan’s Mayors Helped Lead the Fight Against COVID-19
- Why Taiwan Is Beating COVID-19 – Again
- Taiwanese Are Sympathetic but Uncertain About Hong Kong Refugees
- Sherman’s China Visit Was a Quiet Disaster
- Taiwan Showed How to Prosecute an Ex-President
- Xi Jinping Is Using Party Outreach to Build an Anti-U.S. Bloc
- The IOC Should Stop Lying to Itself About the Beijing Olympics
- Be Wary of China Threat Inflation
- What in the World?
- How the U.S. Learned to Stop Worrying About the Pacific and Love the ‘Indo-Pacific’
- Beijing’s Attempts to Intimidate Taiwan Have Backfired
- The China Model Will Never Work in Iran
- Biden Isn’t Selling Out on Nord Stream 2. He’s Protecting U.S. Firms.
- Even a Short War Over Taiwan or the Baltics Would Be Devastating
- US and Southeast Asia need to cultivate common interests and understanding
- CCP’s mysterious summer retreat in Beidaihe: Teeing up appointments ahead of 20th Party Congress
- Chinese researcher: How to protect the BRI and keep Chinese enterprises overseas safe
- America’s negative turn against China: Role of the US Congress
- Tianjin meeting: China-US relations enter 'break-in period'
- What if China and Russia join forces?
- HK Stock Exchange to benefit from returning US-listed Chinese firms
- Taiwan's unequal status in US-Taiwan trade talks
- BRI projects in Cambodia and Laos roll on despite Covid-19
- The Yangtze River Delta region: Promoting economic integration amid provincial competition
- Kai-Fu Lee: Five ways artificial intelligence will put China ahead
- The Opium Wars: When China’s ‘century of shame’ began
- Can strict regulations save Chinese youths from gaming addiction?
- Does China still need Olympic gold medals to prove its worth?
- The Shanghai middle class: Embracing 'cosmopolitanism with Chinese characteristics'?
- Japan-bashing by Chinese netizens: A lack of sportsmanship during the Olympics?
National People's Congress Observer:
What's on Weibo:
- Kris Wu Scandal: Chinese State Media Wants to ‘Raise the Bar’ for Becoming a Celebrity
- Japanese Gold Medalist Becomes a Meme in China after Controversial Men’s Gymnastics All-Around
Tracking People's Daily:
- Reform & Opening Up - Chinese Modernisation vs Western Capitalist Modernisation - Why China Still Enjoys Strategic Opportunities? - 7 Sins - Grievances over HK - Covid Control Must be 'Top Priority'
- Inner-Party Regulations - Services Trade - Patriotic Education in Tibet - China's Democracy - the 'Seven Deadly Sins' of the US Alliance System
- Supervising Procuratorial Organs - Commentary on H2 Priorities - Zhong Sheng: Biden's China Focus 'Misguided' & Owing to Domestic Compulsions - Xi Thought Series - China's 'Socialist Democracy'
- Xi's Fujian Years - Self-reliance in the New Era - Xi Thought Series: People are 'Heroes,' But it's the Party in Charge - Zhong Sheng: US Practicing 'Tracing Terrorism'
- New Xi Book - H2 Economic Priorities - Building a 'Public Health Protection Net' - US' '3 Sins' - China's Covid-19 Proposal - China-Russia Media Partnership & Military Drills - Persisting with Marxism
- Manufacturing's Digital Transformation - New Measures to Support R&D - Wang Meets Taliban - SCO Defense Ministers' Meeting - Xi Thought Series: Expect More Ideological and Political Tests
Eye on China:
- LAC Talks - Blinken Visit - Tech Shake-up - Politburo on Economy - Sherman-Wang Talks - COVID Outbreak - Taliban in Tianjin - Xi Thought Series - Foreign Journalists - Media Ties with Russia
Takshashila PLA Insight:
- China-India Brief, Corps Commander-level Meeting, Xi's Tibet Visit; China's Missile Silos; SCS; Taiwan; How Party Commands Commands the Gun
Beijing to Britain:
- Recess roundup UK "is being a b*tch", Chinese Embassy, removing nuclear investment
- Hong Kong Business Advisory - USA v UK A bonus brief with analysis from Martin Purbrick
- Can climate collaboration overcome the China–US political stalemate?
- China poised for Thailand’s solar move
- How to strengthen China’s ecological redlines?
Hong Kong Free Press:
- Olympic skateboarding celebrates the sport’s fraternity and joy
- Attacks on foreign journalists in China cast shadow over Beijing’s upcoming Olympics
- The lesson from the education chief is clear – China’s state media runs Hong Kong
- Hong Kong’s obsession with the national security law ignores the real danger China faces
- Does China want the US to leave Afghanistan?
- The Entangled Histories of Taiwan’s Women’s Movements: A look at Two Pioneering Groups
- Retaining Vietnamese Talents in Taiwan
- The Good, the Bad and the Adaptive: Resilient Local Solutions to Tourism-Related System Shifts in Eastern Rural Taiwan
- How to Reduce Your Environmental Footprint as a Tourist in Taiwan
- 哲人虽去，教泽长存 ——深切缅怀衣凌恩师
END OF DIGEST