China Analysis Digest aggregates and lists new China-related analyses. Thanks to Katharina Ni for the magic (codes) that makes this series possible.
Subscribe to China Neican and join thousands of policymakers, researchers, and business and media professionals. If you are already a fan, please spread the word:
- Date range: August 6-13, 2021
- Sources scanned: 86
- Content: 173 publications from 44 sources
- Download raw data (.csv)
The email form of this post may be clipped due to length. Click on “View entire message” at the bottom to see it in full. To view in browser, click here.
- The Chinese Civil War: the peril of mobilization
- Evolving Representations: The Development of Elected Workplace Trade Unions in China
Made in China Journal:
China Media Project:
War on the Rocks:
- China’s Silos: New Intelligence, Old Problems
- A Reluctant Embrace: China’s New Relationship with the Taliban
- Why the Quad Alarms China
- The Sexism Behind China’s Population Crisis
- China Isn’t Trying to Dominate the Middle East
- How Chinese factory-workers express their views on life
- China’s efforts to lift Xinjiang’s economy may smother it
- Economic diplomacy: Burning down the house
- How can Australia reset relations with China?
- Hong Kong security law flexes Beijing’s international muscle
East Asia Forum:
- Beijing hasn’t sunk the Hong Kong financial ship yet
- Countering China and North Korea’s mad dash for missiles
- Reconciling China’s drive for global ascendency and its desire for state control
Pearls and Irritations:
- The Dragon has been awakened!
- Three things West gets wrong about China
- Western media is destroying its own credibility
- Hong Kong can borrow from foreign security laws including Australia to combat foreign interference.
- The usual China-thumping and sanctimonious censuring have continued as intensely as ever.
- The price of primacy: Can the United States stop China becoming the dominant regional power?
- The Long, Lonely Struggle with a Schizophrenic Son
- Resolving Human-Bear Conflict on the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau
- Sick of Hospital Queues? Let a Helper Stand in Your Stead
- For China’s ‘Traffic Stars,’ a Sudden Crash
- How China’s Elderly Built an Internet of Their Own
- How ‘Why Women Kill’ Became an Unlikely Hit in China
- Why Time’s Up for China’s ‘Shadow Education’ Industry
- The Feminist Rapper Who Refuses to Be Silenced
- Inside the Subway Disaster That Killed 14 in Central China
China Digital Times:
- Translation: Imaginary Friends and the Fruitless Search for Wilson Edwards
- Canadian Michael Spavor Sentenced to 11 Years as Meng Wanzhou Extradition Decision Looms
- TikTok Parent ByteDance Plans Hong Kong IPO After Shelving New York Listing
- June 4 Museum Reopens Online, Defying Hong Kong Authorities’ Attempts To Close It
- New Restrictions on Private Tutoring Industry: Motivations and Reactions
- Translations: Struggling Medics and Conspiracy Theories Amid COVID Resurgence
Politico China Watcher:
The Wire China:
- China’s Nuclear Options
- China’s Unavoidable Financial Rise
- Isabella Weber on How China Avoided Shock Therapy
- Making ‘Made in China’ Harder
- China’s New Nationalism
- China affirms tech crackdown will continue with more regulations rolling out through 2025
- Barred from tutoring children, Chinese test-prep giant wants to educate parents
- Peter Martin on what makes China’s diplomats tick — and so ticked off
- China sentences Canadian citizen Michael Spavor to 11 years in prison
- What happens at Beidaihe? An explainer
- The start of modern Sino-Japanese relations
- Beijing recalls Lithuania ambassador in another shock to EU-China relations
- Woman sues hotel chain after fighting off naked stranger in room
- The anaconda in the chandeliers: The Hong Kong National Security Law and its implications for middle powers
- The largest Chinese investors you’ve never heard of
- Alibaba fires manager accused of rape after social media outcry
- U.S. edges out China in Olympic gold medals
- China will raise the age of retirement. What do people in Shanghai think?
- Hong Kong celebrates a record Olympic run amid political controversy
Center for Strategic and International Studies:
Center for Advanced China Research:
- China’s digital paradox
- Jane Duckett on China handling the pandemic
- Beijing increasingly tolerant of economic damage for political gain
- MERICS China Briefing: Regulatory crackdown + Afghanistan + Delta outbreak
- EU and China stand to gain from a ‘greener’ blockchain
- Executive Memo on the current momentum in transatlantic China policy
- Executive Memo: Blast or Bluff? Gauging the momentum of transatlantic China policy
National Bureau of Asian Research:
Australia-China Relations Institute:
Observer Research Foundation:
- Will China get embroiled in the graveyard of empires?
- The Rajapaksa triumvirate and the CCP backdoor in Sri Lanka
- Re-envisioning Northeast for India’s ‘Act East’
- Can a China-Russia-Pakistan-Turkey-Iran arrangement counter the Quad?
- Water With Your Chips? Semiconductors and Water Scarcity in China
- What’s Behind Lithuania’s Outreach to Taiwan?
- China’s Insurtech Crackdown: Tech Saga Continues
- Japan’s Military Role in the Indo-Pacific
- A Struggle for Information Control Between China’s Government and the Tech Giants
- China’s Presence in Africa Is at Heart Political
- Can the US Isolate the Taliban?
- Canadian Faces Spy Ruling as Huawei Decision Looms
- Despite COVID-19, Indonesia-China Relations Continue to Develop
- China’s Vaccine Diplomacy in Latin America
- Eswatini, Taiwan’s Last Partner in Africa
- Alibaba Fires Manager Over Suspected Sexual Assault
- Indian and Chinese Troops Disengage from Gogra
- Europe Faces the Tricky Task of Policing Chinese Investments
- The China-US Arms Trade Arms Race
- How a German Frigate in the South China Sea May Upend Beijing-Berlin Relations
- How Do Sexual Harassment Claims Fare in China’s Courts?
- Zapad/Interaction Military Exercise 2021: Growing China-Russia Bonhomie?
- China’s Tech Sector Regulations Are Costly But Not Shocking
- China Is Repeating U.S. Mistakes With Its Own Global Arrogance
- Belarus and Hong Kong Are Building the 21st Century’s Berlin Walls
- Hong Kong’s Liberties Are Dying but Business Lives On
- Independence Is the Only Way Forward for East Turkestan
- Is China’s New U.S. Ambassador a ‘Wolf Warrior’—or a Fox?
- China’s Growing Censorship Is Training the Public to Be Online Snitches
- Ideological Competition With China Is Inevitable—Like It or Not
- Can the West's infrastructure plans rival China's BRI?
- Will the US’s ‘integrated deterrence’ keep China in check?
- US defence chief Lloyd Austin in Southeast Asia: Did the US strike the right notes?
- Why China is cracking down on big capital
- China’s crackdown on cryptocurrencies: Trade-offs between stability and innovation
- China’s crackdown on cryptocurrencies: Bitcoin miners eyeing overseas ventures
- China's tutoring crackdown: It is not a random act by the Chinese government
- China’s tutoring crackdown: Is the Chinese government prepared for its consequences?
- Chinese economics professor: Why we should not profit from natural disasters
- Alibaba sexual assault case: China’s ugly drinking culture is a show of power
- Singapore health experts: China the best positioned country to aim for zero-Covid
- Why China is determined to achieve 'zero-Covid'
- Kris Wu’s downfall and the dark side of big capital
- China is far from being affluent
What's on Weibo:
- “I Deeply Love My Motherland!” – Chinese Actor Zhang Zhehan Under Fire for Yasukuni and Nogi Shrine Photos
- Zhang Xifeng’s “Countryside Pig” Speech Still Lingers on Social Media
- China’s Crackdown on Tutoring Schools: Concerned Parents and Teachers on Weibo
- Humans Fight at Beijing Wildlife Park, “Setting the Wrong Example” for the Animals
- Social Media in Times of China’s Flood Disaster: Participation, Profits, and Propaganda
Chaoyang Trap House:
Tracking People's Daily:
- Xiaokang & Human Rights - Endorsing Pak Terror Attack Probe - Party & Rule of Law - Governing by Constitution vs Constitutionalism - Frontier Work Assessment - Heilongjiang Flood
- Rule of Law Guideline - SCS Commentary - Xi Thought on Socialist Rule of Law - Beijing's High-speed Test Zone for Autonomous Vehicles - XPCC Spirit - One-China Principle
- First Secretaries - Lithuania Tensions - US' 'Underlying Diseases' - Xi Thought on Economic Globalisation & Rule of Law
- Korean War Spirit - Pudong's Innovation Development - Reform 'Promoters & Doers' & the Three Distinctions - 热地Essay on Tibet's Future
- Olympics Success - Zhong Sheng: Asia Doesn't Need a 'Teacher’ or ‘Saviour’ - New Era Reform Needs Crossing the River by Feeling the Stones & Top-Level Design
- Origin-Tracing Propaganda - Taiwan Arms Sales - Reform and Opening Up - Pandemic Containment - Vaccine Diplomacy - H1 Economic Situation - Preparing for Struggles
The India China Newsletter:
- A buffer zone at Gogra, an India China public opinion 'struggle', and Chinese investments in India decline
Eye on China:
- Gogra Disengagement - South China Sea - CPEC Changes - Afghanistan - Tech Shake-Up Analysis - Inner-Party Regulations - Covid Propaganda - Xi Thought Series - Taiwan Arms Sales - USCBC Survey
Takshashila PLA Insight:
- China-India: Gogra, Xinjiang Military Commander, 军事夏令营 (Jūnshì xiàlìngyíng); SCS; Silos: Departure from Minimalist Policy; Taiwan Ports and PLA
Beijing to Britain:
Hong Kong Free Press:
- Patriot games: it’s not the job of Hong Kong’s Chief Secretary to help vet candidates
- Money for nothing: overpaid officials don’t even run Hong Kong any more
- Hong Kong district councils: The rule of law and the rule of Carrie Lam
- Steve Vines: Loving Hong Kong has become a suspect activity – why, at last, it was time to leave
- The Taiwan-Australia Partnership: An Observation
- A Place for Homeless People? :The Pandemic and Homelessness in Taipei
- Why Is the Revitalisation of Taiwan’s New Southbound Policy So Pressing?
- 发扬抗美援朝精神 做有骨气的中国人
END OF DIGEST