China Analysis Digest aggregates and lists new China-related analyses. Thanks to Katharina Ni for the magic (codes) that makes this series possible.
- Date range: August 19-26, 2021
- Sources scanned: 86
- Content: 191 publications from 46 sources
- Download raw data (.csv)
The email form of this post may be clipped due to length. Click on “View entire message” at the bottom to see it in full. To view in browser, click here.
- What Does it Mean to Be ‘Chinese’? Education and National Belonging in Contemporary China
- Protecting its citizens in the Middle East: China’s expanding interests in the region
War on the Rocks:
- An ‘Early Test Case’ for a China-Led World
- The Experiment Podcast: A Uyghur Teen’s Life After Escaping Genocide
- China is happy to see America humbled in Afghanistan
- Hong Kong’s government is crushing the city’s pro-democracy unions
- In Sierra Leone, a Chinese port-building plan raises ire
- Afghanistan holds lessons for American power in Asia
- Can the US and China cooperate on climate?
- China’s new silos: Nuclear arms control more urgent than ever
East Asia Forum:
- Taliban takeover is bad news for China
- The population exodus that will change Hong Kong forever
- Taiwan invasion doesn’t hang in the military balance
- You Won’t Believe the Clickbaity Chaos of Chinese Apps
- A Floor Shaker, a Seismic Feud, and a Condo Wide Awake
- How Outsourcing Puts Hospitals at Risk
- The Enduring Influence of Afghanistan on Chinese Art
- Too Much of a Good Thing? How China Is Rethinking Its Diet.
- China’s Stressed-Out Workers Are Rediscovering the Art of Meditation
- Will mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines Be China’s Ticket Out of Isolation?
- The Nonbinary Chinese Fighting to Live Their Truth
China Digital Times:
- Translation: Wei Zhou Returns to Wechat, Vowing “I Will Always Come Back”
- Hangzhou Party Boss Investigated For Corruption, Officials Warned About Business Relationships
- WHO Probe Leader Says Chinese Pressure Blocked Research Into Lab Accident Theory
- Translation: LGBTQ Site’s WeChat Account Shuttered After Report on Homophobic Backlash Against Hostel
- Translation: Eradicate COVID-19, or Live With It?
- China’s boycott of Australia has redirected global flows of coal
- China will teach Xi Jinping Thought to schoolchildren
- “Common prosperity”: A lexicon of China’s tech crackdown jargon
- Stephen Kinnock, the British opposition’s China man
- Yuan Yang, the British-Chinese journalist witnessing the decline of press freedom in China
- Sherard Cowper-Coles, the former diplomat going to bat for British businesses in China
- How China’s top internet regulator became Chinese tech giants’ worst enemy
- China is applying industrial policy to winning gold at the Winter Olympics
- Xi’s crackdown on wealth inequality has luxury investors scared
Politico China Watcher:
- U.S. at risk of losing cloud computing edge to China
- U.S. commitment to Taiwan under scrutiny after Afghanistan's fall
Politico China Direct:
- ‘Don’t sanction the Taliban’ — Merkel’s Beijing pick — Lithuania goes Aussie
- Taliban dilemma — German model frenzy — Any trains to Lithuania?
- Nü Er Hong: How a rice winemaker created a legendary Chinese brand
- Beijing to crack down on abusive landlords and online rental platforms
- The fog of words: Kabul 2021, Beijing 1949
- Can betting on Chinese politicians predict their futures?
- The last meeting of Mao Zedong and Chiang Kai-shek
- U.S. granted Chinese student visas at pre-pandemic levels in June
- Famous TV host suspended by China’s second-largest broadcaster amid sexual assault allegation
- China Foundation for Poverty Alleviation takes mission to ‘disseminate good’ overseas
- With Confucius Institutes dwindling in the U.S., what’s next for Chinese language education?
- China crushes Delta spike after weeks of strict measures
- Graffiti confessions
- Poverty alleviation remains China’s philanthropic focus after eradication of extreme poverty
- Meditative ‘Buddha Mountain’ gets 10th anniversary director’s cut
- China bulls lose a boatload of money on Alibaba, on paper
- Adam Tooze on understanding China’s rise in historical context
Center for Strategic and International Studies:
- Chinese National Oil Companies Face the Energy Transition
- Fiat Digital Currency, Information, and Power
Center for Advanced China Research:
- China and the Taliban – confidence and caution
- Afghanistan + "Common prosperity" + Data protection law
- From marriage of convenience to strategic partnership: China-Russia relations and the fight for global influence
- Raffaello Pantucci: Narratives of China winning in Afghanistan are exaggerated
- MERICS China Security and Risk Tracker 3/2021
U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission:
National Bureau of Asian Research:
Observer Research Foundation:
- The Chinese factor in Indo-Russian ties
- China’s Xinjiang Policy and the Silence of Islamic States
- Why China remains top on minds of India’s youth
- China in Africa: The Role of Trade, Investments, and Loans Amidst Shifting Geopolitical Ambitions
- Keeping an eye on China’s expanding nuclear stack
- ANZUS at 70: Together for decades, US, Australia, New Zealand now face different challenges from China
- China’s Communist ‘Common Prosperity’ Campaign
- China’s Wedge Strategy Towards the US-Vietnam Partnership
- Shen Yiqin, Party Historian, to Bring Depth to CCP Politburo
- How the Abraham Accords Disrupted China-Israel Relations
- China Swoops Into Bangladesh With a Vaccine Deal
- Geoffrey Cain on Xinjiang’s ‘Perfect Police State’
- Can America’s Withdrawal From Afghanistan Help Its China Strategy?
- The China Challenge in Israel-US Relations
- China and the Taliban: What to Watch
- Why Taiwan Matters to the United States
- What Will Happen in Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou’s Canada Extradition Case?
- New Chinese Law Tightens Requirements for Data Privacy
- China’s Biggest IPO of 2021 May Be a Renewable Energy Firm Listing
- Does the Belt and Road Have a Future in Taliban-ruled Afghanistan?
- Decoding the Latest China-India Military Talks on the Border
- China’s Political Calculations and Potential Options in Afghanistan
- China’s Shipping Delays Are Costing African Economies
- Afghanistan’s Collapse: The View From Taiwan
- How Finding China’s Nuclear Sites Upset Pro-Beijing Trolls
- How Biden Can Save His China Strategy After Afghanistan
- Taiwan Isn’t Afghanistan, Whatever Beijing Says
- China’s Neighbors Hope Afghanistan Pullout Means Pivot to Indo-Pacific
- China Is the Biggest Winner From Africa’s New Free Trade Bloc
- Afghanistan in the calculations of India, Pakistan and China: Is there common ground among rivals and allies?
- 'Winner takes all' no more: China is ready to build the socialist regulatory state
- The flaws in Biden’s China policy
- Did PLA fire new missiles over Biden's statement on Taiwan?
- Building a moral and prosperous Chinese society: Prelude to a social revolution in China?
- What China wants to see under a Taliban-led Afghanistan
- 30,000 US troops in Taiwan?
- Why China is regulating the property market
- How a hoax pandemic donation sparked anti-Chinese and anti-China sentiments in Indonesia
- Who saved Dr Zhang Wenhong from punishment for questioning China's Covid-19 policy?
- Chinese youth will be imbued with tenets of Xi Jinping Thought through school curriculum
- How Americans have braved the Covid-19 pandemic
- Is China taking policies to the extreme to achieve zero-Covid?
- Rejecting their parents' lifestyles, more single Chinese youths are sharing their everyday lives through vlogs
- China idol: Mao Zedong makes a comeback among Chinese youth
- Remembering Yu Ying-shih in Singapore: An ambitious social experiment disrupted
- Destroying independent thinkers: Why China’s tutoring industry needs strong intervention
National People's Congress Observer:
- NPCSC Codifies Three-Child Policy, Expands Legal Aid & Updates Military Service Law and Physicians Law
- NPCSC Seeks Public Comments on Bills on Organized Crime, Family Education, Land Borders, Innovation Policy, Noise Pollution & Plant Variety Protection
What's on Weibo:
- NIKE vs ERKE: Two Sportswear Brands Trending on Weibo for Totally Different Reasons
- The Legendary Lao Gan Ma: How Chili Sauce Billionaire Tao Huabi Became a ‘Chinese Dream’ Role Model
- “You Can Have Four Kids Now!” – Draft to China’s Population Planning Law No Longer Penalizes Having More Children
- New labor rules for gig workers & Big Tech in China
- Did 'the Wuhan lab' spend $606 mln on air conditioning/ventilation?
Tracking People's Daily:
- Hebei Visit - Xi-Putin on Afghanistan - PAP Flag Anniversary - Ethnic Minority Policies - Xi Thought: Regional Development & Rural Revitalisation - Zhong Sheng on Afghanistan - COVID-19 Origins
- Xi's Ethnic Policies - Li on Developing the Northeast - Yang Jiechi at BRICS Security Talks - China-Turkey Partnership - Xi Thought: Public & Private Sector + Core Technology Research - A New Struggle
- Foreign Trade = 180mln Jobs - China-Africa Space Ties - Xi Thought: High-Quality Growth & Supply Side Structural Reform - H2 Economic Direction - Cross-cycle Adjustments - Uphold Xi's Core Position
- Cadre Management - Xi Thought Series: Socialist Basic Economic System - Daqing Spirit - Smart Cars Guidelines - China-Arab States Expo
- Xi Thought Q&A Series: The Full Collection
- Party Control in Tibet - Li in Henan - China & Arab States - Wang's 'Three Whethers' on Afghanistan - US & Human Trafficking - Xi Thought Series: Party's Approach to Deal with Corruption
- Xi Calls Iran & Iraq - China on Taliban's 'Positive Signals' - Wang 'Appreciates' Dasu Attack Probe - Xi Thought Series: Party Discipline & Caging Power - Gig-Economy Workers' Rights
The India China Newsletter:
Eye on China:
- Afghanistan Deep Dive - Xi Thought Collection - India in SCS - Pak Attack - Tibet Agenda - Yasukuni Shrine Tensions - FDI Data - Common Prosperity - Personal Data Law - Hangzhou Party Boss Probed
Takshashila PLA Insight:
- China-India: Wang Yang's Tibet Visit, Informatised CAB under TMD; Missile Silos & PLA RF base; Taiwan; Frontier Defence; Trilateral Arms Control, AUVs
Beijing to Britain:
Hong Kong Free Press:
- Expat quarantine drama: Hong Kong gov’t caught with its eyes wide shut over Nicole Kidman scandal
- Britons do know – and care – about the plight of Hong Kong
- The Fall of Afghanistan – Implications for European Policy Towards Taiwan
- The Fall of Afghanistan: Why Taiwan is Fundamentally Different?
- Freedom Where? The Theme of ‘Escape’ in the Novels of Diasporic Taiwanese Writer Hualing Nieh
- What is ‘Home’ and Who are the ‘Overseas Chinese’?