China Analysis Digest aggregates and lists new China-related analyses. Thanks to Katharina Ni for the magic (codes) that makes this series possible.
- Date range: August 26 - September 2, 2021
- Sources scanned: 86
- Content: 173 publications from 45 sources
- Download raw data (.csv)
The email form of this post may be clipped due to length. Click on “View entire message” at the bottom to see it in full. To view in browser, click here.
- “Left-Behind” Children: How China turns a social problem into moral failings
- What Does it Mean to Be ‘Chinese’? Education and National Belonging in Contemporary China
Reading the China Dream:
- Wang Huning, The Cultural Revolution and Reform of China's Political System
- Xiong Chunwen, "The Education of Migrant Workers' Children
- Xie Tiao, "2020: Las relaciones sino-estadounidenses"
China Media Project:
- Profound Transformations
- The Juggling Act of Being Female, Chinese, and a Foreign Correspondent
- A History of Common Prosperity
War on the Rocks:
- After Withdrawal: How China, Turkey, and Russia Will Respond to the Taliban
- China Takes on Its Tech Leaders
- The Olympic-Size Difference Between India and China
- The AI Revolution and Strategic Competition with China
- African swine fever is spreading rapidly in China, again
- Research centres promoting Xi Jinping’s ideas are proliferating
- China would rather be feared than defied
Australian Financial Review:
East Asia Forum:
- Explaining the globalist dimensions of Chinese nationalism
- Canada’s intercept in Australia’s loose China game
- Canada’s China relationship edges toward strategic clarity
- Australia’s ‘China-has-changed’ narrative doesn’t explain damagingly bad ties
- Taliban takeover is bad news for China
- Why is China ramping up construction of missile silos?
- China’s vulnerability disclosure regulations put state security first
- Is China putting the squeeze on Australia by curbing steel supplies?
- What will China do in Afghanistan?
- From a Qinghai Mountaintop, a Bird’s-Eye View of Global Warming
- Qianlong Emperor: The Worst Poet in Chinese History?
- Alibaba’s Night of Shame
- What China’s New Guidelines on ‘Green Development’ Mean for the Belt and Road
- What I Learned From 10 Years Teaching Chinese Students About Gender
- China Wants Larger Families. Unless You’re a Single Mom.
- What Is the Three-Child Policy Really Trying to Accomplish?
- Visualizing Life Inside China’s Tech Bubbles
- Can China’s Long-Suffering Idol Fans Catch a Break?
- How China’s New Ed-Tech Regulations Put Filipino Teachers in a Bind
- China’s Hottest New Rental Service: Men Who Actually Listen
- What China’s Parents Really Think About the Three-Child Policy
- A Is for Anxiety: Tutoring Clampdown Tests China’s Parents
- China’s Stressed-Out Workers Are Rediscovering the Art of Meditation
China Digital Times:
- “996” Ruled Illegal Yet Labor Researchers, Activists Still Arrested
- China Restricts Minors To Three Hours Of Online Gaming Per Week
- Translation: Everyone Can Sense That a Profound Transformation is Underway!
- Celebrity Culture “Clean Up” Campaign Targets Stars and Fans Alike
- Pandemic Control Strategy: A Subject for Debate, and Debate Suppression
- English Takes a Backseat to Xi Jinping Thought
- Why are China’s diplomats sometimes so undiplomatic?
- Chinese teens feel like they’re in the crosshairs of Beijing’s tech crackdown
- China is no longer allowing kids to play online video games on weekdays
- Beijing has a new legal architecture for sweeping control over user data
- China’s boycott of Australia has redirected global flows of coal
Politico China Watcher:
Politico China Direct:
- EU-Indo Pacific exclusive — Beijing’s moral revolution — Climate conundrum
- ‘Don’t sanction the Taliban’ — Merkel’s Beijing pick — Lithuania goes Aussie
The Wire China:
- Books for One Hundred Years
- Jude Blanchette on the Enduring Intellectual Puzzle of China
- How Paradigm Blindness Leads to Bad Policy
- Wind Wars
- Will the Music Stop for Tencent?
- Corrupt and competent: A paradox of China’s economic growth
- The Rare Earth Myth
- How China beat malaria
- Crazy English founder Li Yang’s excuse for beating wife and children: I’m Chinese!
- Why Xinjiang is an internal settler colony
- Rock Springs Massacre: A Chinatown burns in the American west
- The Story of Shein
- Xi Jinping’s graft busters are probing Jack Ma’s home city, and a rising star of Xi’s Zhejiang clan
- He was a model son with a promising future — until he killed his mother and disappeared
- Beijing restricts kids to three hours of gaming per week
- World Cup qualifying: China vs. Australia, preview
- Misleading headlines about China’s education sector miss the real story
- China investigates and will punish rich tax avoiders, starting with celebrities
- Beyond the Mask
- ‘Common prosperity’ push is not a war on wealth, Chinese economists and officials say
- Cotton complications in Xinjiang: William Overholt on the case of Esquel
- A Chinese university seems to be making a list of LGBT+ students. No one knows what it will do with the information.
- Nü Er Hong: How a rice winemaker created a legendary Chinese brand
Center for Advanced China Research:
- In the driver's seat: China's electric vehicle makers target Europe
- China opts for optimism in 2021 Russian security strategy reading
- EU’s event-packed fall will set the tone for its China policy in 2022
- China high on the EU's agenda this fall + Lithuania + Berlin's Indo-Pacific Strategy
- China and the Taliban – confidence and caution
- Afghanistan + "Common prosperity" + Data protection law
Carnegie Endowment for International Peace:
Center for Security and Emerging Technology:
- Headline or Trend Line?
- China is Fast Outpacing U.S. STEM PhD Growth
- China’s Robotics Patent Landscape
Observer Research Foundation:
- A small step for China’s first virtual student, a leap for CCP’s AI ambitions
- The strategic signal of an Indian presence in the South China Sea
- BRICS Academic Forum Report
- The Chinese factor in Indo-Russian ties
- China’s Xinjiang Policy and the Silence of Islamic States
- China’s new rules allow kids on video games just 3 hours a week – but gaming addiction isn’t about time, it’s about attitude
- China’s ‘surveillance creep’: how big data COVID monitoring could be used to control people post-pandemic
- China Bans ‘Sissy Men’ From TV
- The Curious Case of the New Chinese Ambassador to Thailand
- Chinese Special Envoy Winds Up Unannounced Myanmar Trip
- Business as Usual: Chinese Investments After the Myanmar Coup
- How China’s Worldview Took Over Hong Kong
- Chinese High-Speed Rail Network Reaches Myanmar’s Border
- China’s Hydropower Plan on the Brahmaputra
- Fentanyl in America: A Barometer of the China-US Relationship
- Chen Gang a Dark Horse to Lead China’s Strategic Technoindustrial Policy
- China’s Personal Information Protection Law and Its Global Impact
- Pakistan-China Relations and the Fall of Afghanistan
- China’s ‘Common Prosperity’ Puts Tax-Dodging Celebrities On Notice
- The African Continental Free Trade Area Is a Boon for China
- China’s Tang Dynasty and Afghanistan, the Graveyard of Empires
- Chen Min’er Guarantees Xi Jinping’s Influence Into the 2030s
- China’s Communist ‘Common Prosperity’ Campaign
- The Somaliland Connection: Taiwan’s Return to Africa?
- Japan, Taiwan Lawmakers Discuss China Threat
- Taiwan’s Foreign Minister: Time to Let Taiwan Work With the UN
- The United States Can Cast Light on China’s Shadowy Solar Industry
- U.S. Institutions Must Get Smarter About Chinese Communist Party Money
- Playing Chess With China
- Why Terrorists Will Target China in Pakistan
- Chinese Recognition of the Taliban Is All but Inevitable
- Chinese Firms Don’t Want to Pay Afghanistan’s Costs
- How Finding China’s Nuclear Sites Upset Pro-Beijing Trolls
- Self-assessment: How will the Chinese Communist Party evaluate the Xi Jinping era thus far?
- The future of China-Afghanistan relations: Lessons from history
- A new paradigm needed: China cannot achieve 'common prosperity' with Marxism and class struggle
- Japanese academic: The politics behind the name 'Taiwanese Representative Office in Lithuania'
- Youngest provincial party leader a sign of change for women in politics?
- More mainland Chinese elites supporting armed unification with Taiwan: A cause for concern?
- China-US competition: Why small countries will not choose sides
- Afghanistan in the calculations of India, Pakistan and China: Is there common ground among rivals and allies?
- After reining in the tutoring sector, will the Chinese government target internet titans next?
- [Picture story] The Sino-French War of 1884 and the collapse of Western colonialism
- China's diving sensation Quan Hongchan: Is her rural family 'poor'?
- Celebrities scrubbed from the Chinese internet: Victims of China’s social revolution?
- Vaccine diplomacy in Southeast Asia: Russia trails far behind China and the US
- China's forced drinking culture a submissive test for Chinese women
- How a hoax pandemic donation sparked anti-Chinese and anti-China sentiments in Indonesia
- Who saved Dr Zhang Wenhong from punishment for questioning China's Covid-19 policy?
National People's Congress Observer:
What's on Weibo:
- The 8/26 and 8/27 Blow to Chinese Entertainment Circles: Is the Storm Still Coming?
- Why Zhao Wei? Vicky Zhao’s Name Removed from China’s Online Channels
Tracking People's Daily:
- Xi to Cadres: Gear for Struggle - Supporting MSMEs & Students - Xi Thought: Pandemic Spirit & Saying No to Universal Values - Wang-Kerry & Wang-Bonne Chats - New Proposal on Online Rumours
- Politburo Meeting - Xi's Gala Time - Subsidised Housing - Afghanistan Policy - Xi Thought Series: Marxism & the New Generation
- Tougher Anti-Monopoly Policies - Xi Thought: Deliberative Democracy & Cultural Confidence - Online Gaming Restrictions - Employment Plan - Covid Origins Probe Demand
- Ethnic Affairs Conference - Wang-Blinken Call - Covid Origins Report - Xi Thought: China's Socialist Democracy - SoE Profits
- Hebei Visit - 'Correct Path' in Ethnic Policies - Curbing the 'Two Highs' - Party 'Missions & Contributions' - Xi Thought: Dual Circulation & Political System - US's Democratic Transformation Failure
- Hebei Visit - Xi-Putin on Afghanistan - PAP Flag Anniversary - Ethnic Minority Policies - Xi Thought: Regional Development & Rural Revitalisation - Zhong Sheng on Afghanistan - COVID-19 Origins
Beijing to Britain:
- The UK-China landscape A overview and some areas to note
- DiDi, working with China in Afghanistan, British Embassy bids A roundup
Hong Kong Free Press:
- Relaunching Hong Kong: Let the facts speak for themselves
- Relaunching Hong Kong: No PR ‘reboot’ will clean up the city’s image in the eyes of the world
- Why so much democratic advice from Hong Kong’s non-democrats?
- Hong Kong’s gutted District Councils did more than just gather opinions for the gov’t
- Can Taiwan learn from what happened in Afghanistan?
- ‘The New Normal’ and New Governance Models in Taiwan
- A Fourth U.S. Communiqué on the Sovereignty of Taiwan?
- In the Wake of the Afghanistan Withdrawal, the US Must Send the Right Signals on Taiwan (Part II)
- In the Wake of the Afghanistan Withdrawal, the US Must Send the Right Signals on Taiwan (Part I)
- Taiwan and the Instrumentalization of the US Withdrawal from Afghanistan
- The Fall of Afghanistan – Implications for European Policy Towards Taiwan
- 大力弘扬伟大建党精神 奋力开创首都工作新局面
- 践行“两个结合” 着力创新发展
- 弘扬伟大建党精神 书写新的恢宏史诗（庆祝中国共产党成立100周年专论）
- 深刻理解把握习近平总书记 “七一”重要讲话的重大意义
- 姜春云同志遗体在京火化 习近平李克强栗战书汪洋赵乐际韩正等到八宝山革命公墓送别