China Analysis Digest #28
China Analysis Digest is a weekly published list of new China-related analyses.
- Date range: September 2-9, 2021
- Sources scanned: 86
- Content: 185 publications from 45 sources
- Download raw data (.csv)
The email form of this post is clipped due to length. Click on “View entire message” at the bottom to see it in full. You can also view it online.
Reading the China Dream:
- Wang Huning, The Cultural Revolution and Reform of China's Political System
- Xiong Chunwen, "The Education of Migrant Workers' Children
- Xie Tiao, "2020: Las relaciones sino-estadounidenses"
Made in China Journal:
- America wants China to end support for coal projects abroad
- Xi Jinping Thought, for children
- China’s bid to stabilise its property market is causing jitters
Australian Financial Review:
East Asia Forum:
- The digital renminbi and the rise of central bank digital currencies
- The Taiwan factor in US–Japan alliance relations
- Japan leans forward on China–Taiwan tensions
- State capitalism and China’s corporate pecking order
- Helmsman Xi takes China back to the future
- The domestic and international consequences of Xi’s political philosophy
- Why is China ramping up construction of missile silos?
- E-Lit Squad: China’s Elderly Rekindle Passion With Romance, Wargods
- He Who Buries the Trash Is Also Buried by Fate
- Bringing Countryside Conflict to China’s Perfect Paradise
- To Protect China From Disasters, First Close the Rural-Urban Gap
- The TV Show Highlighting Chinese Culture’s Feminine Side
- What I Learned From 10 Years Teaching Chinese Students About Gender
- A Blind Man’s Epic Quest to Conquer Everest
- China’s Hottest New Rental Service: Men Who Actually Listen
China Digital Times:
- U.S.-China Climate Change Talks Founder Over Xinjiang Sanctions
- Post-game Analysis: Making Sense of the Hu vs. Li Smackdown
- Taiwan Plus Media Platform Launched in Challenge to China’s Discourse Power
- Space for China’s LGBTQ+ Communities Continues to Shrink
- Alibaba Fires Employees Who Leaked Sex Assault Case, Invests In “Common Prosperity”
- China’s crackdown on video games is getting more serious
- Climate cooperation actually means climate competition to both China and the US
- Xi Jinping wants to keep IPOs closer with a new stock exchange in Beijing
- Beijing is having trouble selling its citizens on a partnership with the Taliban
- Why are China’s diplomats sometimes so undiplomatic?
Politico China Watcher:
Politico China Direct:
- EU’s digital Quad — Scholz’s strategy — Pittsburgh vs Beijing
- EU-Indo Pacific exclusive — Beijing’s moral revolution — Climate conundrum
The Wire China:
- The Missing Mogul
- Jessica Drun on Getting the Taiwan Narrative Right
- The AI Revolution and Strategic Competition with China
- Boxed In
- Fishy Business
- In Taiwan, a contentious quest for ‘transitional justice’
- BlackRock get a billion dollars from Chinese mutual fund investors
- U.S.-China trade was never intended to be fair
- Alibaba ‘believes in justice and kindness’ after court drops sexual assault case against former manager
- Hong Kong celebs renounce foreign citizenship amid China’s fan culture crackdown, patriotism push
- Move over, Shanghai and Beijing? Suzhou wants to be the ‘Pharmacy Valley of China’
- China finish top of the medals table for fifth consecutive Paralympics
- Video of woman stripped to underwear by subway employee sparks outrage in China
- Xi Jinping promises new Beijing stock market
- Corrupt and competent: A paradox of China’s economic growth
- The Rare Earth Myth
Center for Advanced China Research:
- Cybersecurity regulations + Smart driving + Logistics
- Companies face increased scrutiny under new cybersecurity regulations
- NATO’s China conundrum
- Nis Grünberg on China’s party-state capitalism
- Reality check: How welcome are foreign investors in China?
U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission:
Australia-China Relations Institute:
- Australia’s export exposure to China: Assessing the costs of disruption
- Australia-China monthly wrap-up: August 2021
- Perspectives | Power shifts and China choices: Reflections on the Hugh White thesis 10 years on
Observer Research Foundation:
- US-China technology competition through the prism of the reflexive games framework
- China takes on its toxic tech working culture
- How Beijing’s New Maritime Rules in the South China Sea Will Affect India and Others
- China is Putting Limits to Online Gaming for Kids, Indian Policymakers Must Step in Too
- A small step for China’s first virtual student, a leap for CCP’s AI ambitions
- Minerals, drugs and China: How the Taliban might finance their new Afghan government
- How special soil observatories in China are helping to create more sustainable agriculture
- Global inequality may be falling, but the gap between haves and have-nots is growing
- Malabar 2021 and Beyond: India’s Naval Pushback Against China
- The Biden Administration and US-China Relations in 2021
- Where Does the China-India Border Dispute Stand?
- The US Still Doesn’t Understand China’s Strategy in Latin America
- ‘Great Game’ Redux in Afghanistan?
- What Is The Goal Of Beijing’s New Stock Exchange?
- Mapping China’s Place in the Global Semiconductor Industry
- Why Is Iran So Keen on Joining the SCO?
- China’s Crackdown on Private Equity Funds
- How Successful Was China’s Poverty Alleviation Drive?
- China’s Nationalist Cancel Culture
- In China, Kerry Faces Uphill Battle for Climate Change Cooperation
- Gauging the Future of Chinese Investment in Africa
- The Barriers to China-Iran Military Diplomacy
- After Government Crackdown, What’s Next for China’s Edtech Firms?
- China Bans ‘Sissy Men’ From TV
- Sub-Provincial City Cadres: China’s Leadership Cohort for 2027 and Beyond
- The Curious Case of the New Chinese Ambassador to Thailand
- Chinese Special Envoy Winds Up Unannounced Myanmar Trip
- Business as Usual: Chinese Investments After the Myanmar Coup
- The Somaliland Connection: Taiwan’s Return to Africa?
- China Is OK With Interfering in Guinea’s Internal Affairs
- Pressured By China, Lithuania Won’t Back Down Over Taiwan
- China Is Laying Climate Traps for the United States
- China, Russia Look to Outflank U.S. in Afghanistan
- What can China and the US cooperate on now?
- China-US competition: Letting the enemy self-destruct
- A new Cultural Revolution? Why some Chinese are shocked by the CCP's relentless pursuit of 'common prosperity'
- US academic: Consequences if Southeast Asia fails to align with US on China policy
- Self-assessment: How will the Chinese Communist Party evaluate the Xi Jinping era thus far?
- The future of China-Afghanistan relations: Lessons from history
- A new paradigm needed: China cannot achieve 'common prosperity' with Marxism and class struggle
- Will clampdowns on China’s property sector lead to economic turmoil?
- China's internet giants are shelling out money for 'common prosperity'. But is that enough?
- How internet giants' monopolistic practices hurt SMEs in China
- Vietnam needs to do more to reduce trade dependence on China
- Why China is setting up the Beijing Stock Exchange
- Why China is embarking on the journey of 'common prosperity'
- Has China done well in its vaccine diplomacy in Southeast Asia?
- Can China succeed in income distribution reform and get rid of its celebrity economy?
- Taishan Club: The rise and fall of a secretive roundtable of China's richest
- Can Hong Kong get rid of its atrocious subdivided flats anytime soon?
What's on Weibo:
Tracking People's Daily:
- Optimising Business Environment - Bribery Crackdown - Warning Gaming & Streaming Cos - Xi Thought: Fengqiao Experience - Yangtze River Sand Mining Crackdown - Afghanistan Neighbours Meeting
- Soothing Nerves amid Regulatory Storm - Xi Speaks to Draghi & Rahmon - Xi Thought: Virtue Cultivation via Education & Public Welfare in Health - Xinhua Party Secretary on National Rejuvenation
- Five New Generals - WTC Gets New Chief - Qianhai Zone Plan - Rectification of Political & Legal Affairs Cadres - Xi Thought: Discourse Power & Livelihood Priorities
- Hengqin Cooperation Zone - Universities' Inspection Report: Expect Tougher Rectification - Organisational Line on Reds vs Experts - BSE Details - Xi Thought: Socialist Art & Internet as 'Battlefield'
- Beijing Stock Exchange - Jiang Chunyun's Funeral - Kerry Meets Han & Yang - EU-Taiwan Report Pushback - Xi Thought: Media Control & Culture - Propaganda Dept on Entertainment Sector Crackdown
- Xi to Cadres: Gear for Struggle - Supporting MSMEs & Students - Xi Thought: Pandemic Spirit & Saying No to Universal Values - Wang-Kerry & Wang-Bonne Chats - New Proposal on Online Rumours
Eye on China:
- Tibet Drills - BRICS - 'Profound Revolution' - Xi Calls for Struggle - Ethnic Affairs Conference - Conditional Climate Talks - EU Discusses China - Japan's Taiwan Policy - Afghanistan - 6th Plenum
Takshashila PLA Insight:
- China-India Brief; Silos; Maritime Law; Mahan & China's Sea Power; Three Warfares; PLA RF's Missile Test; PLA RF's New Jianfeng 2021 Exercises
Beijing to Britain:
- China’s shifting overseas energy footprint
- How did Chinese media cover the Henan flood?
- China’s decarbonising power system: out with the old, in with the new
Hong Kong Free Press:
- ‘Foreign agent’ claims against Hong Kong’s Tiananmen Massacre vigil organisers defy understanding
- How Hong Kong’s tyrants are taking baby steps towards dictatorship
- Hong Kong’s civil society under fire: the candidates, the election, then the democracy movement itself
- Remembering Tragic Spirits: The Worship of Nationalist and Communist War Dead in Kinmen
- Making Narrative out of History: Green Island and the White Terror
- Support for Armed Unification with Taiwan among Chinese Urbanites
- ‘The New Normal’ and New Governance Models in Taiwan
Thanks to Katharina Ni for the magic (codes) that makes this series possible.