China Analysis Digest is a weekly published list of new China-related analyses.
- Date range: September 9-16, 2021
- Sources scanned: 86
- Content: 251 publications from 51 sources
- Download raw data (.csv)
The email form of this post is clipped due to length. Click on “View entire message” at the bottom to see it in full. You can also view it online.
- Great expectations and dashed hopes: Hukou transfer in Beijing
- Anglo-Australian Cooperation: Opportunities and pitfalls in the Indo-Pacific
Reading the China Dream:
- Wang Huning, “The Structure of China’s Changing Political Culture”
- Liang Hong Interview
- Sign in
- Zhou An'an, From Utopia to Leviathan
- Jiang Shigong, Filosofía e Historia
Made in China Journal:
China Media Project:
- Challenges and Progress in China's Development of 5G and 6G
- Early Warning Brief: Implications of Xi's Revival of the Maoist Slogan "Common Prosperity"
- How U.S. Banks Push the Caribbean Toward China
- The PLA Air Force's Efforts Toward Agile Combat Employment
- Educational Reforms Aim to Mold Model Citizens from Preschool in the PRC
- A provocative blog post stirs up a firestorm in China
- China has become a laboratory for the regulation of digital technology
- A new book looks behind Xi Jinping’s anti-corruption campaign
Australian Financial Review:
- Fears China will play games with the 2022 Winter Olympics
- Candour, at last, on China – but then what?
- Military coup could cruel China’s plans for mining in Guinea
- Australia must prepare as China’s coercive capabilities draw closer
- Time for less rhetoric and more substance from Australia–South Korea ministerial talks
- Therapy Via Text: In Rural China, a New Outlet for Troubled Teens
- The Nightmare-Inducing Legacy of the ‘Huanggang Secret Exams’
- Can Private Equity Save China’s Private Museums?
- China’s ‘Mass Line’ Moves Online
- How a Chinese Tram Line Went Off the Tracks
China Digital Times:
- Evergrande Protestors Become Target of Stability Maintenance
- Guinea Coup Strains China’s Supply Chains, Tests Non-interference Policy
- After Refusing to Admit Evidence, Court Dismisses #MeToo Case; Xianzi Vows to Appeal
- Biden Calls Xi To Set Up “Guardrails” On The Relationship
- Suspected Chinese State-affiliated Online Influence Campaign Urged Real-world Protests in U.S.
- Disappeared Businesswoman Briefly Reappears As Ex-husband’s Memoir On Elite Corruption Published
- More Hong Kong Civil Society Groups Disband Under Pressure of National Security Law
- Netizens Force Baidu to Make Verbal “Prisoner Exchange,” Set “Dumbasses” Free
- Why are steel prices so high when iron ore prices have crashed? Because: China
- Vietnam’s Covid outbreak is pushing manufacturing back into China
- Casinos could be the next target in China’s crackdown on social vice
- China will punish its own companies if they break laws in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- A Chinese property giant is a $300 billion time bomb for Beijing
- China’s crackdown on video games is getting more serious
Politico China Watcher:
Politico China Direct:
- Von der Leyen strikes — Indo-Pacific heat — Taiwan-Lithuania
- EU’s digital Quad — Scholz’s strategy — Pittsburgh vs Beijing
The Wire China:
- Europe and America Still Don’t Agree on China
- Data Privacy Chinese-Style
- Jeff Immelt on What Business Leaders Get Wrong about Globalization
- Who is Yunfeng Capital?
- The Boom-Bust Backlash
- British artist tells story of China vs. ‘The West’ in series of paintings
- #MeToo setback: Chinese court rules dismisses ex-intern’s sexual harassment case against TV star
- Barefaced Truths
- In 1973, the Philadelphia Orchestra did its part to kickstart modern U.S.-China relations
- China’s Fujian Province battles Delta flare-up as vaccine rollout approaches 80% goal
- Internet users praise volleyball player Sun Wenjing for coming-out photo with her girlfriend
- ‘Age of Awakening’: A Chinese revolutionary drama becomes a cultural touchstone (and propaganda coup)
- After calling Xi, Biden considers pressuring China over trade, Taiwan
- Beijing to require Ant’s Alipay to spin off separate loan app
- Casting good-looking but untalented celebrities is abnormal, China says
- Chinese-Australian duo wins second doubles Grand Slam
- Biden has a phone call with Xi
- Chinese-born professor in Tennessee cleared of all spying charges in rebuke to U.S. Department of Justice
- The rise and fall of Shanghai’s ‘coffee king’
- Resurfaced Simu Liu interview spurs nationalist backlash against ‘Shang-Chi’
- ‘Nannies’ who happen to teach: China cracks down on loopholes in private tutoring ban
- China’s Red New Deal: A guide to all the different crackdowns on companies going on right now
- After online tutoring, why is China cracking down on private schools?
- 2021 NEXTChina Conference
- The state of China studies in America: Unpacking a National Committee survey
- Idol worship and fan culture in China, explained
- In Taiwan, a contentious quest for ‘transitional justice’
Congressional Research Service:
- RL33153| China Naval Modernization: Implications for U.S. Navy Capabilities—Background and Issues for Congress
- IF11582| Section 301: Tariff Exclusions on U.S. Imports from China
European Council on Foreign Relations:
Center for Strategic and International Studies:
Center for Advanced China Research:
- Taiwan + Indo-Pacific + EU China policy
- Mapping China’s place in the global semiconductor industry
- Xi’s call for common prosperity signals a new period of populism, state regulation and interventionism
- “Common prosperity” + US-China climate talks + Education reforms
Carnegie Endowment for International Peace:
Australia-China Relations Institute:
- Australia’s export exposure to China: Assessing the costs of disruption
- Australia-China monthly wrap-up: August 2021
Observer Research Foundation:
- The EU-India Connectivity Partnership: Can Brussels step up its connectivity game in the Indo-Pacific?
- Explaining the Rise of Minilaterals in the Indo-Pacific
- China’s Big Tech pledges support to common prosperity: By choice or design?
- Afghanistan crisis lingers over the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation summit
- China’s practice in recognising Governments: The case of Taliban
- For China, the challenge has just begun in Afghanistan
- US, China dig in their heels
- Will China’s ‘Common Prosperity’ Project Turn Out to Be a Case of ‘Cure Worse Than Disease’?
- Decrypting China’s Big Tech Crackdown – Part 1
- What is the Moon Festival? A scholar of Chinese religions explains
- AUKUS: is an arms race with China the price of ‘Global Britain’?
- The AUKUS pact, born in secrecy, will have huge implications for Australia and the region
- Why nuclear submarines are a smart military move for Australia — and could deter China further
- How big companies are targeting middle income countries to boost ultra-processed food sales
- Why pushing for an economic ‘alliance’ with the US to counter Chinese coercion would be a mistake
- China is on course to build the best cars in the world
- Friday Essay: an introduction to Confucius, his ideas and their lasting relevance
- What ancient Chinese roofs can tell us about climate change
- Russia is positioning itself as a global partner after the U.S. Afghanistan debacle
- Minerals, drugs and China: How the Taliban might finance their new Afghan government
- Understanding China’s Draft Algorithm Regulations
- Is China’s Evergrande Group Too Big to Fail?
- 19 Months Into the Pandemic, China Is Still Shutting Out US Students
- What Do Russians Think About the Relationship With China?
- China’s Foreign Minister Holds Talks in South Korea
- Giant Buddha Statue Plan Rankles Residents of Laos’ Capital: Report
- Chinese FM Winds Up Southeast Asia Trip With Stops in Cambodia, Singapore
- Is the CCP About to Rehabilitate the Cultural Revolution?
- China, Afghanistan, and the Belt and Road Initiative: Diplomacy and Reality
- Beijing Court Rules Against Woman in China #MeToo Case
- CFIUS Ramps up Oversight of China Deals in the US
- The Logic and Limitation of China’s Zero-COVID Policy
- Diplomatic Pact to Block Myanmar’s Junta From United Nations – For Now
- Property, Prestige, and ‘Common Prosperity’: China’s Real Estate Market in 2021
- Vietnam Welcomes Top Officials From China, Japan
- Easing China-US Tensions: Lessons From Nixon’s 1972 Trip
- Biden Calls Xi as China-US Relationship Grows More Fraught
- Chinese Foreign Minister Begins 3-Nation Tour of Southeast Asia
- Can CPEC Move Beyond Infrastructure?
- The Real Cause of China’s Alibaba Crackdown
- Malabar 2021 and Beyond: India’s Naval Pushback Against China
- The Biden Administration and US-China Relations in 2021
- Pay Attention to the KMT’s Chair Election
- Parsing Japan’s Support for Taiwan
- The Politics of Taiwan’s COVID-19 Response
- India Welcomes AUKUS Pact as China Deterrent
- How Sept. 11 Supercharged China’s Propaganda
- China’s Social Credit System Is Actually Quite Boring
- Neither Russia nor China Could Fill a U.S. Void in the Middle East
- U.S. and China Reach Deal to Block Myanmar’s Junta From U.N.
- China and Russia Have a Shared Playbook for Afghanistan
- China Is Hedging Its Bets in Myanmar
- China Is Disrupting the Ocean’s Blue Carbon Sink
- Is Lithuania the West’s First Line of Defense?
- Why US academics are protesting against the Department of Justice’s ‘China Initiative’
- How China became Cambodia's important ally and largest donor
- Deepening US-Vietnam ties: Less geopolitics, more human security
- Vietnam is balancing China-US rivalry with deft statecraft, but for how long?
- Russia and China in Southeast Asia: Pragmatic cooperation against US primacy
- Can the CCP avoid the Stalin curse under Xi Jinping?
- Serious consequences if Washington allows renaming of Taiwan’s US office
- Chinese academic: It’s time to make the US safe for the world
- Yasukuni Shrine visits: A mirror reflecting Sino-Japanese relations
- China's growing north-south gap: Can the north catch up?
- A zero-Covid strategy has worked in China, but will it work elsewhere?
- Chinese economics professor: The making of a moral society
- Has China done well in its vaccine diplomacy in Southeast Asia?
What's on Weibo:
- Meet Sister Zhang and the Heilongjiang College Room Inspection Gang
- Goodbye 996? Weibo Discussions on Changes in Overtime Work Culture
- New regulation signals China to add fewer skyscrapers
- End of an era in China's urbanization & beginning of a new one
Tracking People's Daily:
- Shaanxi Tour - State Council on Medical Insurance - Yang Jiechi to US Parties: Correct 'Wrong China Policies' - Wang Yi in Seoul - Xi Thought: PLA's Missions, Taiwan Policy & One Country Two Systems
- Building a Cyberspace Civilisation - Xi Thought: A World-Class PLA & Party's Control Over PLA - Wang meets Singapore's Lee - Student Loans - Economic Data
- Xi's Letter to Border Troops - MIIT's High-Tech Ambitions - High-Rise Restrictions - Wang Yi on SCS Code of Conduct - Xi Thought: Political Security, Black Swans & Grey Rhinos
- Ecological Compensation Mechanism - Why Nice Guys are Dangerous - Xi Thought: Strict Governance for Beautiful China & the Overall National Security Concept
- BRICS Summit - Afghan Neighbours Statement - Zhong Sheng on HK Alliance Arrests - Xi Thought: Green Development - Biden-Xi Call - Greater Mekong Subregion Meeting
- Optimising Business Environment - Bribery Crackdown - Warning Gaming & Streaming Cos - Xi Thought: Fengqiao Experience - Yangtze River Sand Mining Crackdown - Afghanistan Neighbours Meeting
Eye on China:
- India-Aus 2+2 - BRICS - Afghanistan Policy - Biden-Xi Call - US Trade Policy - State Media on 9/11 - Virtue Cultivation & Discourse Power - PLA's New Generals - Assurances & Regulatory Changes
Takshashila PLA Insight:
- What and Why of the PLA Promotions: Who got promoted, which positions are due, WTC problem: India or anti-corruption; Hypersonic Missiles; ACE, Bhutan
Beijing to Britain:
- RESHUFFLE SPECIAL: Truss in, Raab out A update on Liz Truss, the new Foreign Secretary
- Sharma in Tianjin, Raab in Pakistan, trouble in Westminster A briefing
- NEW REPORT: The UK and China's security and trade relationship: A strategic void A report review
Hong Kong Free Press:
- Short of land? Hong Kong picks on the small guy instead of challenging vested interests
- Hongkongers are patriotic; their mistake was to believe the Joint Declaration’s predictions
- Hong Kong’s fair trial rules are routinely ignored – and no offender is safe
- The Penghu Migrants Behind Kaohsiung’s Post-war Boom
- At the Edge of State Control: The Creation of the “Matsu Islands”
- 建军之本 强军之魂
- 深化税收征管改革 顺应人民群众期盼
Thanks to Katharina Ni for the magic (codes) that makes this series possible.