China Analysis Digest is a weekly published list of new China-related analyses.
- Date range: September 16-23, 2021
- Sources scanned: 86
- Content: 250 publications from 49 sources
- Download raw data (.csv)
The email form of this post is clipped due to length. Click on “View entire message” at the bottom to see it in full. You can also view it online.
James Curran | Council on Foreign Relations | September 20, 2021
“AUKUS represents the death knell for strategic ambiguity in Australian foreign policy…Contrary to some of the excited claims to novelty in this announcement, AUKUS might more accurately be described as the latest example of that nervous, reflexive twitch in Australian strategic psychology. Namely that when an Asian threat or menace appears on the horizon, Canberra’s impulse is to look to its Anglosphere cousins for protection. The history of Australian defense and foreign policy is replete with such moments. In that sense AUKUS is clearly freighted with powerful cultural assumptions and expectations…Australia has opted to cleave to older outlooks rather than forge a new path to a more secure Asia.” (1262 words)
Michael Pettis | Carnegie Endowment for International Peace | September 20, 2021
“The impact of Evergrande has caused financial distress to spread faster and more forcefully than Beijing’s financial regulators expected, putting pressure on them to move quickly to stop the contagion. But they cannot rescue Evergrande’s creditors without also undermining their fight against bad debt…My best guess is that in the next few days or weeks…they will take concrete steps and make announcements aimed at toning down the spread of financial distress costs…[including] rolling over debt, haircuts on assets and emergency payments to the most vulnerable.”” (3090 words)
Geremie R. Barmé | China Heritage | September 20, 2021
Barmé sees distinctive parallels between China’s illiberal shift under Xi since 2012 and the Counter Reform of 1989-1992, a time economic retrenchment, ideological adjustments and repression following the Tiananmen protests of 1989. But “[t]his time around, however, in 2021 Xi Jinping does think that he is confronted with the same knot of pressures that led Deng Xiaoping to embark on his momentous Tour of the South in 1992” [that helped usher in the ebullience of the Jiang Zemin era]. For Barmé, what we are witnessing currently under Xi is a restoration, an embrace of the spectre of Mao. Indeed, as the Liu Xiaobo wrote in 1994: “After Deng, it will be the banner of Mao Zedong that may be unfurled once more to stabilize China. Maoist socialist egalitarianism may well be used to pursue policies of social equality and clean government. For in these policies the authorities may find a way of dealing equitably with mass disaffection. But that will mean that China will fall back into the vicious cycle of history”. (9891 words)
Reading the China Dream:
- Wang Huning, “The Structure of China’s Changing Political Culture”
- Liang Hong Interview
- Zhou An'an, From Utopia to Leviathan
- Jiang Shigong, Filosofía e Historia
- Mid Autumn, Geng Xiaonan & National Treasures
- Prelude to a Restoration: Xi Jinping, Deng Xiaoping, Chen Yun & the Spectre of Mao Zedong
Made in China Journal:
China Media Project:
- Economic diplomacy: After AUKUS in trade, aid and technology
- Can the China model be accommodated in the CPTPP?
- AUKUS and the CPTPP: It’s all about China
- China – a lonely superpower
East Asia Forum:
- The Indo-Pacific, the Quad and the reality of Chinese power
- China’s growing cooperation with BIMP-EAGA
- The fall of Afghanistan and its implications for China
- China’s bid to join Pacific trade pact a strategic opportunity for Canberra
- What to make of China’s drive towards ‘common prosperity’
- Right time for China’s ‘common prosperity’ drive
- China’s mercantilist threat to ASEAN is exaggerated
- Australia must take Southeast Asian reactions to AUKUS seriously
- From the bookshelf: ‘China coup: the great leap to freedom’
- Military coup could cruel China’s plans for mining in Guinea
- Rooftop Solar to Roll Out on China’s Public Buildings
- The Life and Legacy of a Wandering Whale
- Taking Aim at China’s ‘3:30 p.m. Dilemma’
- For 16M Vocational High School Students, Hope Is Hard to Come By
- Can Private Equity Save China’s Private Museums?
- As Universal Beijing Opens, Local Theme Parks Feel the Heat
- The Shady Labor Practices Underpinning Shein’s Global Fashion Empire
China Digital Times:
- Lithuania Urges Citizens to Ditch Chinese Smartphones Over Censorship, Data Security Concerns
- World Bank Business Ranking Manipulated in China’s Favor
- Netizen Voices: Outrage Over “Sissy Boy” Ban is Censored on Weibo
- Civil Rights Lawyer Chang Weiping Tortured After Speaking Out About Past Torture
- “Shang-Chi” China Theatrical Release Stalls, Politics a Likely Factor
- Error 20021: Crowdsourced Report on the Varied Methods of Weibo Censorship
- Minitrue: Do Not Report on the Zhou _ _ (aka Xianzi) Lawsuit; Caution on University Entrance Exam Reforms
- Anti-Fraud App Tracks Access to Foreign Websites, Deepening Surveillance Concerns
- China is finally ready to test out its state crude oil reserves
- A researcher who foresaw Evergrande’s troubles says it’s a pyramid scheme
- China isn’t the only one financing the global spread of coal power plants
- Evergrande is a massive problem—but it’s China’s problem
- Who gets priority in an Evergrande restructuring?
- These numbers show just how big a headache Evergrande is for China
- ByteDance is getting ahead of China’s crackdown on tech for teens
- To bail out or not to bail out: China’s Evergrande dilemma
- Universal Studios’ new Beijing theme park shows Hollywood’s bet on China is paying off
- Why are steel prices so high when iron ore prices have crashed? Because: China
Politico China Watcher:
Politico China Direct:
- Deeper than subs — Coal war — Mind your phone
- Von der Leyen strikes — Indo-Pacific heat — Taiwan-Lithuania
The Wire China:
- Countering Chinese Industrial Policy Is Counterproductive
- Mingwei Song on the ‘New Wave’ of Chinese Science Fiction
- China’s NGO No-Go
- Package Deal
- Bobbing Billionaires
- Architecture: 10 amazing contemporary buildings in China
- Food delivery giants Ele.me and Meituan promise to stop treating delivery workers like disposable garbage. Sort of.
- Calls to end ‘China Initiative’ intensify after Anming Hu acquittal
- Minimal China
- Jiang Zemin and the PRC’s first orderly transfer of power
- Xi Jinping says China ‘will not build new coal-fired power projects abroad’
- The fall of the Evergrande boss
- Why China wants to join the anti-China trade deal
- Evergrande’s ‘week of reckoning’: Will China let its dodgiest developer default?
- Evergrande’s financial troubles threatens its soccer club, Guangzhou FC
- U.S. snubs EU, announces defense deal with Australia and Britain to counter China
- #MeToo setback in court for CCTV intern: Q&A with scholar Darius Longarino
- Red New Deal or Raw New Deal? Unraveling China’s astonishing barrage of regulatory action
- EU challenges China’s Belt and Road Initiative with global infrastructure program
- British artist tells story of China vs. ‘The West’ in series of paintings
Congressional Research Service:
European Council on Foreign Relations:
Center for Strategic and International Studies:
Center for Advanced China Research:
- Max J. Zenglein on the Evergrande crisis
- Transatlantic cooperation on China hits choppy waters
- AUKUS + Hong Kong + Evergrande
- Xi needs to embrace the EU’s emissions levy on imports
- Taiwan + Indo-Pacific + EU China policy
Carnegie Endowment for International Peace:
- Chinese Mining and Indigenous Resistance in Ecuador
- What Does Evergrande Meltdown Mean for China?
- The U.S.-China Trade War Has Become a Cold War
- AUKUS reveals much about the new global strategic context
- Is the AUKUS alliance meaningful or merely provocation?
- Lessons on China from Australia and Canada
Australia-China Relations Institute:
Observer Research Foundation:
- The Rise and Rise of the ‘Quad’: Setting an Agenda for India
- Poverty Alleviation and Political Primacy: The Way of the Chinese Communist Party
- Undermining institutions, underwriting OBOR: Beijing and the crisis of global governance
- The spoils of World War 2 are handing World War 3 victories to China
- COVID-19 pandemic response: Comparing the Indian and Chinese approaches
- A signal to China from America and two of its oldest major allies
- BRICS @15: From an economic to a strategic plurilateral forum
- Explainer: what exactly is the Quad and what’s on the agenda for their Washington summit?
- Why have Canada and Australia taken such a different approach to China?
- China is financing infrastructure projects around the world – many could harm nature and Indigenous communities
- China: don’t mistake Xi Jinping’s crackdowns for a second Cultural Revolution
- What is the Moon Festival? A scholar of Chinese religions explains
- AUKUS: is an arms race with China the price of ‘Global Britain’?
- The AUKUS pact, born in secrecy, will have huge implications for Australia and the region
- Why nuclear submarines are a smart military move for Australia — and could deter China further
- Star General Chang Dingqiu Takes Command of China’s Air Force
- Protecting Indonesia’s Sovereignty in the North Natuna Sea
- China’s ‘Common Prosperity’: The Maoism of Xi Jinping
- China’s Xi, Like Biden Hours Earlier, Turns to Calm Language in UN Remarks
- Don’t Count China Out of the CPTPP
- China Keeps Virus at Bay at High Cost Ahead of Olympics
- What AUKUS and Afghanistan Tell Us About the US Asia Strategy
- Does Guinea’s Coup Matter to China?
- Iran’s Membership Raises the SCO’s Profile – and Expectations
- Evergrande Is a Symptom, Not Cause, of China’s Debt Woes
- A ‘Proof of Death’ Video From Xinjiang
- China’s ‘Common Prosperity’ Campaign is Going to Be Tough Going
- Afghanistan, Taiwan, and America’s ‘Fighting Spirit’
- China’s ‘Standards 2035’ Project Could Result in a Technological Cold War
- Will China Actually Join the CPTPP?
- Rural Affairs Specialist Han Jun Likely to Ascend to Vice Premier in 2022
- ‘Red Roulette’: Tell-All Book Reveals the Dark Underbelly of China’s Gilded Age
- Chinese Disinformation Operations: What Central and Eastern Europe Can Learn From Taiwan
- Understanding China’s Draft Algorithm Regulations
- Is China’s Evergrande Group Too Big to Fail?
- 19 Months Into the Pandemic, China Is Still Shutting Out US Students
- What Do Russians Think About the Relationship With China?
- Taiwan Applies for CPTPP Membership
- Taiwanese Presidents Will Not and Can Not Unilaterally Change Taiwan’s Status
- AUKUS, the Quad, and India’s Strategic Pivot
- The China-Lithuania Rift Is a Wake-Up Call for Europe
- Europeans Want to Stay Out of the New Cold War
- China Wants to Join the Trade Pact Once Designed to Counter It
- State Department Plans ‘China House’ to Counter Beijing
- Australia Badly Needs Nuclear Submarines
- China and Pakistan See Eye to Eye on the Taliban—Almost
- China and the United States Could Sabotage EU Emission Efforts Again
- When Germany Was China
- India Welcomes AUKUS Pact as China Deterrent
- AUKUS: Aggravating tensions and dividing the world
- The US has AUKUS. Where are China's alliances?
- Pakistan stands to gain from Afghanistan turmoil?
- Beijing bans Taiwan fruit imports: Impoverishing Taiwan to achieve reunification?
- Chinese academic: China will pay the price for underestimating the US
- Why US academics are protesting against the Department of Justice’s ‘China Initiative’
- How China became Cambodia's important ally and largest donor
- Deepening US-Vietnam ties: Less geopolitics, more human security
- Vietnam is balancing China-US rivalry with deft statecraft, but for how long?
- China-US competition: Who will set the rules in a digital world?
- New Beijing Stock Exchange will narrow economic gap between northern and southern China
- Property conundrum: Chinese society disagrees over how much property prices should fall
- Why China needs to set its own house in order with a regulatory spurt
- Will the Chinese government save Evergrande?
- A metaverse with Chinese characteristics?
- Every individual counts: China should go for ‘common development’ rather than ‘common prosperity’
- Will the Chinese government's crackdown on cross-border crime in Myanmar work?
What's on Weibo:
Tracking People's Daily:
- New Infrastructure Development Plan - IPR Guidelines - Rural Rejuvenation - Xi Thought: BRI & Emphasising Importance of Party Leadership - China-Pak-Russia Envoys in Afghanistan
- Xi's UNGA Speech - Supervising the Supervisors - Marxist Colleges - Xi Thought: Hegemony & Major Power Diplomacy - Why US' Trade-Tech War Isn't Working
- Festival Break: Thinkers Dialog, Rethinking Chinese Politics and EU's IP Strategy
- Xi on Space Power - China's Afghan Quartet - Wang Yi-Jaishankar Meet - Xi Thought: SARs & Community of Common Destiny - US the 'Greatest Destroyer of World Peace' - Services Trade - FDI Data
- Shaanxi Tour - State Council on Medical Insurance - Yang Jiechi to US Parties: Correct 'Wrong China Policies' - Wang Yi in Seoul - Xi Thought: PLA's Missions, Taiwan Policy & One Country Two Systems
Eye on China:
- SCO - Afghanistan - Jaishankar-Wang Meeting - AUKUS Ruckus - EU's Indo-Pacific Policy - Evergrande - Xi in Shaanxi - Breaking Walled Gardens - Cyberspace Civilisation - CPTPP - Meng Wanzhou Plea Talks
Beijing to Britain:
- NEW REPORT: ESG, China & Human Rights - why the time has come for investors to react A Report Review
- Ideology and investing in China A bonus literature review
- Diplomatic escalations, reshuffle pain, new acronyms A briefing
- ‘CBAM’ carbon levy will only hit a fraction of Chinese exports to EU
- 1972: The start of China’s environmental journey
- China to stop building new coal power projects overseas
- Rooftop solar to roll out on China’s public buildings
Hong Kong Free Press:
- Hong Kong’s small-circle election: an incompetent, predictable farce
- Patriots in, democrats out as Hong Kong enters new political era
- Barely a democrat in sight as Hong Kong ushers in new political era on Sunday
- COVID-19 Ushered in a New Era of Urban Governance in Taiwan
- To Ensure Vaccine Equity, Taiwan Should Adjust its Vaccination Program
- Taiwan’s COVID-19 Vaccination Against Biological and Political Viruses
- Political Contention About Vaccines in Taiwan
- 建军之本 强军之魂
- 深化税收征管改革 顺应人民群众期盼
Thanks to Katharina Ni for the magic (codes) that makes this series possible.