China Analysis Digest is a weekly published list of new China-related analyses.
- Date range: October 8-14, 2021
- Sources scanned: 86
- Content: 223 publications from 50 sources
- Download raw data (.csv)
Ethan Paul | Lawfare | October 7 | 3592 words
In this review of Rush Doshi’s The Long Game: China’s Grand Strategy to Displace American Order (Oxford University Press, 2021), Paul highlights the internal contradictions and dangers of the book’s core argument. Paul’s core critique of the arguments advanced by Doshi and others is that they conflate dominance with national interests, risking confusing means and ends:
Many authors of these arguments—Ely Ratner, Mira Rapp-Hooper, Kelly Magsamen, Melanie Hart, Tarun Chhabra and Lindsey Ford—have secured top jobs in the Biden administration. Together, they represent a new, rising generation of policymakers who seek to reorient American foreign policy around competition with China, and Doshi serves as their foremost theorist. They will now get their chance to put their ideas to the test, but expect the U.S.-China knot to end up tighter than ever before, leaving it up to others to find a way of untying it.
I highly recommend this review because it addresses just how extraordinary and unbalanced the US’ “unipolar” moment actually was, and the dangers for the world if the US recklessly tried to maintain the imbalance.
N. S. Lyons | Palladium | October 11 | 4072 words
This insightful portrait of Wang Huning, the CCP’s top theoretician, deserves our attention. Lyons tells us about Wang’s nightmare and triumph. Wang’s nightmare is a China infected with global liberal ideals, following the US down a path of political conflict, and economic and social decay. In contrast to the “radical, nihilistic individualism at the heart of modern American liberalism,” Wang wants China to follow a political philosophy that:
blend[s] Marxist socialism with traditional Chinese Confucian values and Legalist political thought, maximalist Western ideas of state sovereignty and power, and nationalism in order to synthesize a new basis for long-term stability and growth immune to Western liberalism.
The implications of Wang’s ideas are immense. As Lyon writes:
our world is witnessing a grand experiment that’s now underway: China and the West, facing very similar societal problems, have now, thanks to Wang Huning, embarked on radically different approaches to addressing them. And with China increasingly challenging the United States for a position of global geopolitical and ideological leadership, the conclusion of this experiment could very well shape the global future of governance for the century ahead.
中国国际关系学科发展导向及其反思 [Reflections on the developmental orientation of the international relations discipline in China]
阎学通 [Yan Xuetong] | 中国社会科学网 [China Social Science Net] | October 14 | 2506 characters
Yan, China’s preeminent international relations scholar, highlights four worrying trends for the development of the discipline in China. First, foundational and theoretical research is weakening and not prioritised vis-a-vis policy-related research. Second, a return of opposition in some quarters against using scientific methods to study international relations. Third, professional thresholds/requirements and professional education levels have lowered. Fourth, an increasing tendency to use social popularity as opposed to scholarly measures for determining the worth of research. He recommends caring more about theoretical research, and less about policy recommendations, commentaries, and internet popularity.
The email form of this post may be clipped due to length. Click on “View entire message” at the bottom to see it in full. You can also view it online.
Made in China Journal:
China Media Project:
- Topping the Inequality Rankings
- China’s Leftist Prophet Speaks Again
- Shaming China’s “Buddhist Beauties”
War on the Rocks:
- Schrodinger’s Military? Challenges for China’s Military Modernization Ambitions
- China’s Missile Silos and the Sino-Indian Nuclear Competition
- In Post-American Central Asia, Russia and China are Tightening Their Grip
- In China’s Shifting Historical Narrative, “War of Resistance" with Japan Retains Key Role
- Far From a Panopticon, Social Credit Focuses on Legal Violations
- Opportunities and Challenges for China's Plans in Afghanistan
- China’s Development of Hypersonic Missiles and Thought on Hypersonic Defense
- Win Some, Lose Some: China’s Campaign for Global Media Influence
- China's Loss Can Be Southeast Asia's Gain
- Will China Stand in the Way of Global Health?
- China's Self-Destructive Tech Takedown
- Saving Taiwan
Australian Financial Review:
- Would a war over Taiwan be legal?
- AUKUS: Why Beijing didn’t go ballistic
- China and the future of the Antarctic mining ban
East Asia Forum:
- Chinese firms leading the way on green package delivery
- Moving beyond the US–China Cold War cliche
- What is driving China’s e-commerce growth?
- Controlling capital during COVID-19
- Beijing’s creative compliance and non-compliance in the South China Sea
- China’s geostrategic engagement in a new Afghanistan
- Hong Kong and the future of Chinese-language journalism
- Predicting global conflicts
- From the bookshelf: ‘The long game: China’s grand strategy to displace American order’
- Saving Taiwan
- ASPI’s decades: ‘Uyghurs for sale’
- The five-domains update
- China’s Factory Children and Their Splendid, Closed-Off Youth
- Lights, Camera, Classroom: Big Mother Is Always Watching
- China’s ‘Drifting’ Migrant Mothers Tell Their Stories
- Jia Zhangke and the Stories Men Tell Themselves
- In Rural China, a Debate Over How to Keep Men’s Beds Warm
- Why China’s Kids Can’t Quit Online Gaming
- China Tried Saving an Ancient Amphibian. Chaos Ensued.
China Digital Times:
- Afghan Uyghurs Caught Between Taliban and China’s Transnational Repression
- In Speech Commemorating Xinhai Revolution, Xi Says “Reunification” With Taiwan Inevitable
- Chinese State-Backed Disinformation on Covid-19 Origins Dominates Search Engine Results
- Top Police Officials Purged in Legal-Political Rectification Campaign
- New Accounts Describe Torture, Forced Labor Facing Xinjiang Detainees
- China is turning to market-based pricing to tackle its energy crisis
- For China, COP26 is a vital marketing opportunity
- China wants an even more dominant state monopoly on the media
- Bored Chinese consumers spent a national holiday on a shopping spree in China’s Hawaii
- China can easily manage a property crash. That’s the problem
- Don’t ask, don’t tell
- Divining the Plenum
Politico China Watcher:
Politico China Direct:
- Bye Merkel, hi Michel — Threats against Taiwan — Honey trap
- Zurich and/or Rome — EU hardens tone — Live from Lithuania
The Wire China:
- Carbon Neutrality with Chinese Characteristics
- Jonathan Hillman on the Digital Silk Road’s Increasing Importance
- Biotech’s Borders
- CATL’s Super-Charged Trajectory
- China & the World Bank: Who Needs Whom?
- Tower running finds a foothold in China
- A shared spreadsheet reveals working hours at China’s biggest internet companies
- The story of China’s first atomic bomb
- Shanxi floods leave dozens dead, 120,000 displaced, and hundreds of cultural relics damaged
- Hong Kong outlaws upskirt photos and deepfake pornography
- After video game ban, Chinese kids turn to Douyin and livestreaming gamers
- “The Silent Minority No More: Raising Awareness of Anti-AAPI Hate” A prelude
- Tsai Ing-wen pledges to uphold Taiwan-China status quo amid ‘unprecedented challenges’
- Tutoring crackdown: Parents and employees line up outside OneSmart, demand repayment
- The fight for Taiwan’s linguistic diversity
- Foreign athletes arrive in Beijing for Olympics test events
- U.S. troops in Taiwan: Biden administration reveals small training group present ‘for at least a year’
- Haus of Lily: Beijing Drag House
- How China will achieve carbon neutrality: The role of the emissions trading scheme and other reforms
- Hunan county implores local women to stay and marry as rural bachelor crisis worsens
- Mainland China invasion? Taiwan residents aren’t worried
Congressional Research Service:
- China Naval Modernization: Implications for U.S. Navy Capabilities—Background and Issues for Congress
Center for Strategic and International Studies:
- China, Asia, and the Changing Strategic Importance of the Gulf and MENA Region
- New Tail for China’s ‘Wolf Warrior’ Diplomats
- Chinese State Capitalism
Center for Advanced China Research:
- Western Balkans + Sino-German relations + Czech China policy
- Screening foreign investment in the EU – the first year
- Gunnar Wiegand on the EU's Indo-Pacific Strategy, AUKUS, and Taiwan
- Global Gateway - the European Union’s new connectivity strategy
- Victor Shih on the Evergrande crisis
- Mikko Huotari on challenges for the new German government in relations with China
- Germany's recent China policy
Carnegie Endowment for International Peace:
- What Does China’s Energy Crisis Mean for Russia?
- China’s Influence in Southeastern, Central, and Eastern Europe: Vulnerabilities and Resilience in Four Countries
- China’s Influence in South Asia: Vulnerabilities and Resilience in Four Countries
Center for New American Security:
Chicago Council on Global Affairs:
Australia-China Relations Institute:
- Australia-China monthly wrap-up: September 2021
- Perspectives | National sovereignty, Australia and the PRC: More similarities than differences
Observer Research Foundation:
- A new edge in global stability: What does space security entail for states?
- Will China’s Evergrande contagion spread beyond real estate?
- China aims to algorithmise Internet Information Services (IIS)
- Can Quad and AUKUS synergise?
- China’s Arunachal ‘Incursion’: Why India Should Look at the Bigger Picture
- India Competes for Sri Lanka’s Affections
- ব্রিকস-এর ১৫ বছর: নিছক অর্থনৈতিক থেকে একটি কৌশলগত বহুপাক্ষিক মঞ্চ হয়ে ওঠা
- RRRD scheme for the revival of discom finances: New scheme, same parameters?
- China’s power crisis: Outrage over power outages may affect Xi’s green initiatives
- Breakthrough in fusion energy: Is abundant low carbon energy within reach?
- China’s BRI continues to remain popular amongst Africans despite intense backlash
- India’s developmental partnership in Afghanistan: Here to stay or to go?
- Asia’s energy pivot is a warning to Australia: clinging to coal is bad for the economy
- Feminist responses on Weibo aim to fight the misrepresentation of women during COVID-19 in China
- China and Taiwan: why the war of words is unlikely to lead to military conflict (for now, at least)
- China’s wildlife food ban is vital for public health and threatened species – our research reveals what must happen next
- Zero COVID worked for some countries – but high vaccine coverage is now key
- Understanding ASEAN’s silence behind AUKUS agreement
- China’s energy crisis shows just how hard it will be to reach net zero
- Taiwan: how the ‘porcupine doctrine’ might help deter armed conflict with China
- Tony Abbott warns China could ‘lash out’ at Taiwan soon
- Explaining the PLA’s Record-Setting Air Incursions Into Taiwan’s ADIZ
- ‘The Battle at Lake Changjin’ and China’s New View of War
- Disquiet on India’s Northern Front
- Does China’s Remaining Non-State Media Have a Future?
- The Shift in China-US Competition
- Why Is China Looking to Establish Banks in Nigeria?
- Darren Byler on Life in Xinjiang, ‘China’s High-Tech Penal Colony’
- The German Elections and Angela Merkel’s China Legacy
- China and the ‘Asia-South America Digital Door’
- Evergrande Exposure
- On Internet Freedom, China and Taiwan Are Worlds Apart
- What the AidData Report Reveals About BRI Lending in Southeast Asia
- A Tale of 2 Navies: India and China’s Carrier Airwing Development
- China’s Foreign Affairs Director Seat May Fall out of the Politburo
- Are China’s BRI Glory Days Over?
- Vietnam’s Hidden Debts to China Expose its Political Risks
- China-US Meeting in Zurich Paves the Way for a Biden-Xi Virtual Summit
- CIA Creates Working Group on China as Threats Keep Rising
- Tianjin Port Congestion Disrupts China-Mongolia Supply Chain
- What’s Behind China’s Latest Mega Hydro-Engineering Project?
- Tony Abbott in Taiwan: An Imperfect Messenger
- JPMorgan’s Deal With Alipay Will Put the PLA in Your Pocket
- Is Defending Taiwan Worth the Risk?
- Biden’s Vague Muddle of a Trade Policy for China
- The Real Reasons Behind China’s Energy Crisis
- Chinese legal expert: ‘Legal reunification’ with Taiwan the best solution
- Domestic politics and mainland China's growing incursions into Taiwan's air defence zone
- Power games in China's clampdowns on platform companies
- How is mainland China planning to achieve reunification with Taiwan, when a common history no longer holds the same significance?
- While preserving good relations with China, the Philippines must exercise its maritime rights
- Did Carrie Lam impress with her 2021 final policy address and 'Northern Metropolis' housing plan?
- Can Japan rise above faction politics and become the 'bridge to the world' under new PM Kishida?
- Will the new Japanese PM Kishida do better than his predecessor Suga in foreign relations?
- Why China is bringing super skyscrapers down to earth
- Why credit rating firms stay silent on the US's recurring sovereign debt woes
- Lenovo's IPO withdrawal: Why Lenovo is no longer the golden boy of the Chinese tech industry
- Worsening global digital divide as the US and China continue zero-sum competitions
- Does China need its own Squid Game?
- Can the Chinese criticise their patriotic movies?
- Chinese economics professor: If you like salty and spicy food, your ancestors might have been poorer folk
What's on Weibo:
- Chinese Student Forced to Undergo “Fake Surgery” and Borrow Money While Lying on the Operating Table
Chaoyang Trap House:
- Senior executive at battery giant CATL on power storage, lithium, etc.
- A nuanced reading of "reduce non-medically necessary abortions"
Tracking People's Daily:
- Xi Chats with 'Old Friend' Merkel - Financial Institutions Inspections - Briefing on Energy Supply Situation - Foreign Trade up 22.7% - Guo Shengkun wants Loyal Lawyers -Fu Ying on China's Image
- Xi & COP15 - 'Whole-Process Democracy' - Vocational Education - Common Prosperity = Rich Pockets + Rich Minds - PLA's Ideological Education - Wang @ G20 on Afghanistan - Guiding China's Historians
- What is Common Prosperity? - Li on Energy Challenges - China-EU Environment & Climate Dialogue - Flooding in Shanxi & Shaanxi - The Taiwan Question
- Standards Plan - SoEs as 'Red Engines' - Xi Thought in Textbooks - Cybersecurity Work Overview - Blockbuster Praise - 1911 Revolution Speech Commentary
Eye on China:
- LAC Talks & Transgressions - Taiwan Tensions - US-China Engagement - CIA's China Focus - Fu Zhenghua & Sun Lijun Corruption Cases - China-Pak Space Cooperation - Xi's 20th Congress Pitch
Beijing to Britain:
Hong Kong Free Press:
- Forget the ‘small minority,’ the national security law has silenced Hong Kong society
- Time for Hong Kong to get serious: you can’t tackle the climate crisis AND build mega-towns
- The Tiananmen Massacre statue and the purging of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong’s Carrie Lam and the district councils: Forked tongue or poor memory?
- Patriots at the helm: Hong Kong’s new election committee assembles to begin its work
- The University of Hong Kong must cherish its autonomy and protect the Tiananmen Massacre statue
- Hong Kong’s security chief – the most dangerous person in town?
- Why did Hong Kong need 8,000 police to help it celebrate National Day?
- The Western Gaze: Modern Art and Cultural Diplomacy in 1950s and 1960s Taiwan
- Taiwan’s Decision to Introduce a Third Gender: A Step Forward or a Step Backwards for Gender Equality?
- Chang Ya-chung’s Rise and Eric Chu’s Cross-Strait Vision
- Does Eric Chu’s New Leadership Role Depend on the ‘China factor’?
Thanks to Katharina Ni for the magic (codes) that makes this series possible.