China Analysis Digest is a weekly published list of new China-related analyses.
- Date range: October 28 - November 5, 2021
- Sources scanned: 100
- Content: 224 publications from 52 sources
- Download raw data (.csv)
Alexander Mac Dábhaidh | MERICS | November 3
Mac Dábhaidh attributes Beijing’s tech crackdown to the need for tackling “ideological misalignment” and inequality with two symptoms: “growing alternative power bases and an increasing divide between rich and poor.” He writes:
The party not only wants to align the internet platform’s interests to CCP industrial policy. It aims to reduce the market dominance of China’s tech behemoths to foster greater competition and innovation. However, it remains to be seen what the long-term economic effects of the tech crackdown will be. The big question the Chinese government is surely trying to answer is how might these developments stifle innovation and economic growth, will their efforts at political alignment be confined to the tech giants, or can they afford to take root in smaller companies too. And if the party’s endeavors only target key players, perhaps they will expect to see a renewed sense of competition within the internet platform sector.
Ling Li | Made in China Journal | November 1
Li predicts that Xi will stay in power beyond the next Party Congress in 2022 by reactivating the office of Party Chairman, a position so prominently occupied by Mao. She argues that Mao’s precedent gives Xi legitimacy and a roadmap to get there, and that this is “the best solution to deal with the succession issue”. The proposed resolution on Party history, which will almost certainly be passed next week at the 6th Plenum, is seen by Li as a critical culmination of Xi’s ideological drive and a preparatory move for getting to the chairmanship. This is entirely possible. The upcoming resolution on history will provide us with critical clues.
The email form of this post may be clipped due to length. Click on “View entire message” at the bottom to see it in full. You can also view it online.
Reading the China Dream
Made in China Journal
Australian Financial Review
War on the Rocks
- Defense Department Issues Annual Report on Military and Security Developments in China
- The ODNI Releases Declassified Assessment On the Origins of the Coronavirus
- Issuance of Export Licenses Reveals Strategic Limits on Economic Decoupling
- Markets and resilience in the face of economic coercion
- Just how serious is Xi about climate change?
- The legal case for defending Taiwan
East Asia Forum
- China and the United States can play a positive-sum game on the CPTPP
- Washington still searching for a China trade policy
- Leaders must commit to green finance at COP26 to avoid climate catastrophe
- Flexible energy governance is key to China’s decarbonisation efforts
- China holds the financial key to huge carbon emission avoidance
- The Latin American element in China’s CPTPP bid
- Will recent power shortages slow China’s progress to carbon neutrality?
- Is China stepping up its nature conservation?
Pearls and Irritations
- Allegations about China and carbon pollution are rooted in racism
- Foreign interference: Protective mechanisms in Hong Kong are legitimate and necessary
- What is going on in China?
- Having lost Afghanistan, America has a new enemy in China. We blindly follow
- US strategic clarity on Taiwan wouldn’t unleash a spiral of escalation
- What drove the United States to AUKUS?
- Explaining Indonesia’s lopsided treatment of its two ‘strategic partners’—Australia and China
News & Magazines
- China’s state-controlled media are put on an even shorter leash
- A row about toilets reveals a lot about women’s place in China
- A Miner’s Verse: Through Peril and Pain, Just Words Remain
- De-Platformed: China Rethinks Its Subway Addiction
- China’s Tutoring Ban Leaves a Trail of Debt, Anger, and Broken Dreams
- Hustling at the Bottom of the Stand-Up Pyramid
- Who is a Hong Konger? The US government has one of the widest definitions
- Yahoo is the third major US tech platform to exit China in the past month
- A single covid case has stopped the magic at Shanghai’s Disneyland
- The strongest weapon in Xi Jinping’s common prosperity armoury is a property tax
China Digital Times
- Foreign Correspondents Club of China Demands Greater Transparency from Organizers of the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics
- Fearing for their Personal Safety, 14 Independent Candidates Drop Out of Local Beijing Elections
- Language Learning App Emphasizing Linguistic Diversity Deletes Tibetan and Uyghur Languages
- Yahoo, Fortnite Leave China
- China Expands Security Presence in Central Asia Through Tajikistan Bases
- Netizen Voices: No Egg Fried Rice Allowed In October… Or November!
- Translation: Spilling the Tea About Being “Invited to Tea” and Hearing the Police Read Aloud Your Tweets
- China’s tech and finance crackdown is a challenge to western ideas that cuts across developing world
- A diplomatic boycott of the 2022 Beijing Olympic Games could bring Huseyin Celil home
The Wire China
- The Longterm Consequences of China’s Cash-Strapped Cities
- Jasper Becker on How to Deal With China Post-Covid
- Seeking CFIUS
- The Local Government Squeeze
- The Corps of Xinjiang
- Censors go nuclear as tennis player’s MeToo allegations against top official go viral
- Taiwan parties split over constitutional reform
- Norman Bethune’s last surgery
- Yahoo shuts down remaining China services
- ByteDance cuts working hours of China office, implements new schedule of ‘10-7-5’
- COVID origins: China denounces inconclusive U.S. intelligence report that calls for more transparency from Beijing
- Shanghai Disneyland locks in more than 30,000 people for testing after COVID scare on Halloween night
- Alibaba’s silicon chip in the age of hypersonic missiles
- Chinese Super League’s Hebei FC on verge of collapse
- ‘The Bund’: The Hong Kong TV series that defined a generation
- China warns that Taiwan’s push for international space presents ‘seismic risks’
- Genki Forest accidentally loses millions due to price glitch. Now it wants the money back.
- Understanding China’s historic changes through informed empathy
- China’s alliance with Russia is solidifying
- When Beijingers can't return home: Is China going overboard with its zero-Covid measures?
- Chinese youths are falling for the 'Squid Game trap' with Chinese characteristics
- Jack Ma an agriculture tsar?
- Has the US shifted its position on Taiwan, again?
- AUKUS and Quad do not solve India's regional security problems
- Fire hazards plague Taiwan's ageing buildings and their residents, but is anyone fixing the problem?
- China displays its new weapons amid cross-strait tensions
- Taiwan and Indo-Pacific are the primary targets of China’s hypersonic glide vehicle
- Why half of Chinese youths want to be an influencer
- Why mobile gaming is important for maintaining social stability in China
- The EU and ASEAN should join hands in cajoling China and the US towards peace
- China needs to raise personal income to achieve common prosperity
- Chinese People Think China Is Popular Overseas. Americans Disagree.
- China, Russia Urge UNSC to End Key Sanctions on North Korea
- The Anti-Submarine Warfare Component of China’s Sorties in Taiwan’s ADIZ
- Chinese Tennis Star Accuses Former Top Official of Sexual Assault
- The Politics of Taiwan’s Environmental Policy
- Yahoo Pulls out of China, Citing ‘Challenging’ Environment
- China’s Neo-Nationalism Poses Risks for International Businesses
- China’s Supply Chain Bottlenecks: Winners and Losers
- EU Disinformation Committee Heads to Taiwan
- Can China and the United States Cooperate Fully in Tackling Climate Change?
- Huawei and China’s ‘Hostage Diplomacy’
- The Shifting Nature of India-China Relations
- What Role Could Civilians Play in Taiwan’s Defense?
- Can China and the US Cooperate on Climate Change?
- Work Drinking in China Comes Under Fire
- China’s New Land Borders Law Is a Nightmare for North Korean Refugees
- The G-20 Can’t Ignore the World’s China Problem
- The Asia-Pacific’s Free Trade Disagreements
- No, the ‘Middle East Quad’ Is Not Anti-China
- China’s Foreign Minister Tries Again to Win Europe Back
- India Slams China’s New Boundary Law Amid Border Tensions
- Taiwan: Cooperating With the World to Achieve a Net-Zero Future
- The Pentagon Wants to Talk About China’s Nukes
- Duterte’s Dalliance With China Is Over
- A Green Deal at COP26 Can’t Be a Green Light for China
- Why China May Not Bail Out Evergrande
- Xinjiang’s Oppression Has Shifted Gears
- German Academic Freedom Is Now Decided in Beijing
Center for Advanced China Research
Center for Strategic and International Studies
Center for Security and Emerging Technology
- Tech regulation in China brings in sweeping changes
- Beijing’s tech crackdown on ideological misalignment and drivers of inequality
- China’s quick way of going green: cutting production to cut emissions
- Why China’s plan to reduce abortions sparked anger and fear
- Why China is cracking down on its online fandom obsessed youth
- China is definitely on the rise. But don’t write off American dominance just yet.
Australia-China Relations Institute
- How does Australia’s Chinese-language media negotiate between Australian and PRC state media?
- Australia's export mix, industrial base and economic resilience challenge
Observer Research Foundation
- Power crisis: How China can turn the challenge into an opportunity
- China’s hypersonic missile test won’t go unanswered
Politico China Watcher
Beijing to Britain
Beijing to Canberra and Back
- The metaverse and national security. A view from China: governments must turn their attention to the metaverse
Takshashila PLA Insight
- China-India: Land Boundary Law, Major Power Rivalry in SA; Taiwan: Statements, Biden, Blinken & Waters, Tsai's Interview; 钧 声; Weapons Development
Tracking People's Daily
- Xi's 'Extraordinary' Vision & Leadership in Devising the New Development Pattern - China's Sci-Tech Drive - Li: No More Vanity Projects - Improve Basic Economic System for Common Prosperity
- 'People’s Leader' Xi's Poverty Alleviation Campaign - Li on Supporting Market Entities - Wang Huning on Learning from Revolutionary History - Economic Shake-up Underway - Qu Qingshan on Xi's Diplomacy
- Xi's Command of COVID-19 'People's War' - 'Time and Momentum': China's Economic Development Review - Xi's COP26 Speech - Zhong Sheng on US Intelligence Report on COVID Origins
- G20 Summit - Xi's in Qiushi on Ideals and Beliefs - Xi's Core Status = Party's 'Common Will' & 'Inevitable Choice' - Wang-Blinken Meeting - Ren Lixuan on Xiaokang
- Li @ EAS - Common Prosperity: There are no Free Lunches - 'Supreme Leaders' Guide PRC-DPRK Ties - Zhong Sheng Commentary Against Taiwan's IO Engagement - Wang Yi Wants Neighbours to Work with Taliban
China Law Translate
- Opinions on Establishing and Completing Institutional Mechanisms Prohibiting Improper Contact and Interactions between Judges or Prosecutors and Lawyers
- Measures for Data Export Security Assessments (Draft for Solicitation of Comments)
National People's Congress Observer
Society & Culture
What's on Weibo
- Hong Kong Stars Shine in Call Me By Fire: ‘Greater Bay Area Brothers’ Go Viral on Chinese Social Media
Hong Kong Free Press
- Are Hong Kong’s ever-tightening Covid-19 rules keeping people safe or stressing them out?
- Hong Kong should bring big tech to heel and protect the environment with ‘right to repair’ laws
- COP26: Rather than criticise the developed world, China should shoulder its share of blame for the climate crisis
- In the new Hong Kong, is there nowhere for people to seek redress against the authorities?
- Hong Kong’s fuzzy national security law – where are the details?
- Comparing space industry interventions in Taiwan and elsewhere
- Technology is the new Priority in Central and Eastern Europe’s Accelerating Relations with Taiwan
- What Resolution 2758 doesn’t say: Bringing Taiwan in from the cold of political isolation
- 自然状态为什么是战争状态? ——霍布斯的两个证明与对人性的重构
- 坚定理想信念 补足精神之钙
- 五十年深化同联合国合作 协力构建人类命运共同体
- 坚定制度自信 不断发展全过程人民民主
- 用好思想政治工作这个传家宝 推动新时代机关党建高质量发展
- 加强生物多样性保护 共建地球生命共同体
- 国民经济总体保持恢复态势 推动高质量发展取得新进展
- 彪炳史册的伟大成就 更为完善的制度保证
- 深化国际经贸合作 实现共同繁荣进步
- 总结历史经验 向第二个百年目标奋进
- 在纪念中央革命根据地创建暨中华苏维埃共和国 成立90周年座谈会上的发言
Full list of sources scanned:
China Neican, Reading the China Dream, Made in China Journal, China Heritage, China Media Project, China Leadership Monitor, China Brief, Project Syndicate, Australian Financial Review, China Story, ChinaFile, War on the Rocks, Lawfare, The Interpreter, East Asia Forum, China Opinion, China Collection, China Dialogue, Pearls and Irritations, The Strategist, Echo Wall, Asialink Insight, Palladium, Inside Story, Foreign Affairs, Monkey Cage, The Atlantic, The Economist, Los Angeles Review of Books, Sixth Tone, Quartz, China Digital Times, The Conversation, National Review, Internationale Politik Quarterly, The Intercept, The Wire China, SupChina, ThinkChina, The Diplomat, Foreign Policy, MacroPolo, Center for Advanced China Research, Pew Research Center, Congressional Research Service, Center for Strategic and International Studies, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, Center for Security and Emerging Technology, MERICS, Institut Montaigne, European Council on Foreign Relations, National Bureau of Asian Research, Brookings Institution, U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission, China Data Lab, Rhodium Group, Asia Society, Australia-China Relations Institute, China Research Group, Center for New American Security, Chicago Council on Global Affairs, Chatham House, Lowy Institute, Atlantic Council, Observer Research Foundation, Australia Strategic Policy Institute, Politico China Watcher, Politico China Direct, The India China Newsletter, Beijing to Britain, Beijing to Canberra and Back, World Game, Eye on China, The Upheaval, Beijing Baselines, ChinaTalk, Pekingnology, Takshashila PLA Insight, Tracking People's Daily, Beijing Channel, Protocol | China, Chinese Storytellers, Chinarrative, Texas National Security Review, China Law Translate, China Trade Monitor, National People's Congress Observer, What's on Weibo, Chaoyang Trap House, RADII, Paper Republic, Lausan, Hong Kong Free Press, Taiwan Insight, 中国：历史与未来, 爱思想, 《求是》, 中国现代国际关系研究院, 中央党史和文献研究院, 习近平系列重要讲话数据库