China Analysis Digest is a weekly published list of new China-related analyses.
- Date range: October 21-29, 2021
- Sources scanned: 100
- Content: 226 publications from 61 sources
- Download raw data (.csv)
Hi folks, I’m recovering from a fever, so no recommended reading this week.
The email form of this post may be clipped due to length. Click on “View entire message” at the bottom to see it in full. You can also view it online.
- PRC Overseas Political Activities: The Problem with ‘Chinese Influence’
- Climate, history, Digicel, news sources, Li Yundi
Made in China Journal
China Media Project
- A Chinese Starlink? PRC Views on Building a Satellite Internet Megaconstellation
- Early Warning Brief: Factional Strife Intensifies as Xi Strives to Consolidate Power
- The US-China Hong Kong Sanctions Face Off
- As “New Cold War” Fears Rise, China Touts Ties to Southeast Asia
- Russia and China: A Mutually Exaggerated Strategic Partnership?
Australian Financial Review
- Feminism as a force for anti-colonialism in 1930s Manchukuo
- Chinese newspapers and red guard tabloids: A Cultural Revolution puzzle
War on the Rocks
- China’s education diplomacy in Central Asia
- AUKUS? Quad? FOIP? A fragmented approach cannot counter China
- China’s economic sanctions made Australia more confident
- Economic diplomacy: Los Angeles port pips China as Christmas grinch
- US-China: tiers of cohabitation
East Asia Forum
Pearls and Irritations
- Australia gets caught up in Washington’s China blame game
- A member of the Parliamentary body that oversees intelligence agencies lends support to anti-China campaign
- Can US missile-defence systems handle China’s new missiles?
- What’s behind the spike in Chinese incursions into Taiwan’s air defence zone?
- Commemorations of 1911 Revolution highlight ideological rift between Beijing and Taipei
- A 3D deep dive into the India–China border dispute
News & Magazines
- Xi Jinping wants ‘common prosperity’ in China. He might not be able to make it happen.
- What did China test in space, exactly, and why?
- China’s Evergrande is in trouble. But so is China’s top-down political economy.
- China’s test of a hypersonic missile worries America
- The confidence of China’s Communist Party is striking
Los Angeles Review of Books
- Bait and Click: How China’s Bird-Loving Photographers Became a Menace
- In China, COVID-19 Had an Unlikely Side Effect: Bail Reform
- China, the World, and the Mantle of ‘Green Leadership’
- China’s Solution for Loneliness: Play Time for Grown-ups
- Pixel Deep: How Localized ‘Reskins’ Shaped China’s Early Gamers
- How China’s Musicals Lost Their Groove
- For Your Size Only: The Little Livestream Making it Big
- The Many Faiths of Quanzhou
- Where Have China’s ‘Tiger’ Parents Gone?
- China’s Latest Tourist Craze: Bright Pink Convertibles
- Evergrande is just the tip of China’s debt iceberg
- Chinese influencers can’t go to LA, so they’re posing at a Shanghai Costco
- China’s Xie Zhenhua is the most important person attending COP26
- Ten key questions for anyone worried about China’s economy (according to state media)
- A single tweet is once again putting pressure on the NBA’s China business
- China is both unleashing and restricting market forces to secure its energy supplies
China Digital Times
- Hong Kong NSL Censorship Roundup: Speech Crimes, Retroactive Film Censorship, Muted Marathoners, and More
- China’s Latest School Reform Law Puts the Onus on Parents to Reduce Student Burnout
- National Security Law Threat Drives Amnesty International to Close Hong Kong Offices
- Caixin Removed From Cyberspace Administration of China’s “Whitelist”
- NBA Star Enes Kanter Speaks Out on Tibet and Xinjiang, and is Promptly Censored in China
- Billions in International Pension Funds Support Abuses in China; Hong Kongers Flee With Their Own Pensions
- The Chungking Legation: Australia’s first diplomatic mission to China, 80 years ago
- Why Chinese companies are investing in French wine and German robots
- How China combined authoritarianism with capitalism to create a new communism
- China is accused of exporting authoritarian technology. But the west has done so, too, more covertly
- The US and China must find a way to cooperate at COP26 and beyond. Otherwise, global climate action is impossible
- Vital Signs: slower Chinese economic growth inevitable without internal reform
The Wire China
- Books for the ‘Red New Deal’
- Rosemary Foot on What China Gets Out of the UN
- China Must Restore Growth
- A Year of ‘Crackdowns’
- The China Bull
- China Unbound: The implications of China’s expanding influence
- China to build new military base in Tajikistan
- DeFi: Can decentralized finance defy China’s crypto controls?
- Treason in the early Qing — and the curious consequences
- Modern Land becomes latest Chinese developer to default as Evergrande grabs lifelines
- Xi Jinping wants a nation of fit children, and schools are going all out to hire gym teachers
- China faces another COVID-19 spike, begins child vaccine rollout
- In flex of political muscle, Xi pushes through controversial property tax
- Mercedes-Benz hurts Chinese men’s feelings with video featuring feminist comedian
- Enes Kanter doubles down on China criticism, calls out other athletes
- European Parliament votes in favor of stronger relationship with Taiwan
- Boston Celtics games scrubbed from Chinese internet after player advocates Tibet independence
- China’s ‘Prince of the Piano’ Li Yundi arrested in Beijing for soliciting prostitute
- The U.S.-China tariff failure of 2019
- Mr. Deng goes to Tokyo
- With AUKUS in place, now what for key players in the Indo-Pacific?
- Is China’s economy collapsing?
- Are the Chinese embracing the 'iron rice bowl' again?
- It may soon be illegal to discriminate against mainland Chinese in Hong Kong
- China's mammoth task of upgrading its transport system
- Hong Kong’s Northern Metropolis: Castle in the air or realistic goal?
- Is Xi Jinping really going back to Maoism?
- China's zero-Covid regime: My home quarantine experience in Beijing
- New governors for Hebei and Liaoning revealed; China’s senior leadership rapidly promoting political newcomers
- Prelude to CPC’s 20th Party Congress in 2022: Seven new provincial party secretaries appointed
- How China’s housing market landed in the deep freeze
- Chic and trendy wet markets are the in-thing in China
- Mainland and HK officials step up visits to the grassroots: Hope for lower-income Hong Kongers?
- Chinese Overfishing Highlights Environmental Crisis in the Taiwan Strait
- If China Attacks Taiwan, What Will Europe Do?
- China’s Security Infrastructure Continues to Grow in Tajikistan
- Without China, Efforts to Reverse Deforestation Will Fail
- How BRI Debt Puts China at Risk
- Li Zhang on China, COVID-19 and Global Capitalism
- Why Is the Islamic State in Afghanistan’s Propaganda Targeting China?
- Taiwan Says it is ‘Preparing For War,’ But Are Taiwanese Mentally Ready?
- Biden, Taiwan, and Strategic Ambiguity
- Must Taiwan Remain Invisible for the Next 50 Years?
- Chen Po-wei Is the Latest Victim of Taiwan’s ‘Recall Revenge’
- Red Flag River and China’s Downstream Neighbors
- Does AUKUS Violate the Pledge of a Nuclear-Free South Pacific? China Thinks It Might.
- Storm Clouds Hang Over ‘All-Weather’ Sino-Pakistani Friendship
- How UAVs Could Spark a Military Conflict in the Taiwan Strait
- Is Russia Starting to Sour on China?
- Chabahar Port and Iran’s Strategic Balancing With China and India
- What Do People in Taiwan Think About Their Military?
- The Biden Administration Has Shown Unwavering Support for Taiwan
- The Case for Renaming TECRO
- Beijing Must Face Olympic Consequences for Human Rights Abuses
- Chinese Censorship Is Going Global
- China’s Sham Meritocracy Has Created a Burned-Out Generation
- Cleaning Up the Mess of Post-Trump China Strategy
- Will China’s New Missile Lead to Escalation or Stability?
- 4Q2021 Macro Outlook: Beijing Makes Pro-Growth Pivot To End the Year
- Is There a Method Behind China’s Tech Crackdown Madness?
Center for Advanced China Research
Congressional Research Service
Center for Strategic and International Studies
Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- How China Learned to Harness Israel’s Media and Booming Tech Scene
- China’s Tests Are No Sputnik Moment
- Grandstanding or sincere? China’s move to join the CPTPP
- China’s economy is facing a cyclical and policy-induced downturn
- Policy blitz to curb risks stokes downward pressure on the economy over the third quarter of 2021
Australia-China Relations Institute
China Research Group
- COP26 and China: What does success look like?
- Where does China stand on climate change ahead of COP26?
- How much pork does the UK export to China?
Observer Research Foundation
- China and Africa—Is it the end of the honeymoon period?
- What’s next for China’s gaming industry?
- Dangerous Straits: What’s driving tensions between Beijing and Taipei
- Decrypting China’s Big Tech crackdown – Part 2
- The China-Bhutan border deal should worry India
Politico China Watcher
Politico China Direct
- One China, two ministers — G20 and COP26 — Xi calls Macron
- China Direct: Taiwan in the spotlight — EU-China summit ‘in weeks’ — Olympics outcry
Beijing to Britain
- Johnson welcomes Chinese investment, MPs push to remove investment in China, Golden Era anniversary
- BOOK EXCERPT: China's Civilian Army - The Making of Wolf Warrior Diplomacy by Peter Martin
Beijing to Canberra and Back
Eye on China
- History Resolution - WMCC Talks - New Provincial Party Chiefs - Steel Cracks between Iron Brothers - Property Tax - Private Sector & Anti-Monopoly Actions - Biden on Taiwan - Japan-China Friction
- Tump's WeChat ban cost United States $900k in legal fees to plaintiffs
- Yan Xuetong's criticism & suggestions on China's international relations studies
Takshashila PLA Insight
Tracking People's Daily
- Xi's Tech Focus for Self-reliance & Self-strengthening - Xi's Calls with Macron & Imran - Li's ASEAN Pitch - China's Afghan Policy - Understanding 'Seeking Truth from Facts'
- Xi on PRC@UN - SoEs & Innovation - Financial Street Forum Highlights - NPCSC Legislative Affairs Committee on Rule of Law - Wang Yi meets Mullah Baradar in Doha
- Carbon Peak and Neutrality - Guo Jiping on China's World Order Vision - Liu He on Confidence in China's Economy - Small & Micro Loans at RMB 18.6 Trln
- Green Development Guideline - Pacific Islands Diplomacy - Criticising EU Parliament on Taiwan Report - CBRC shares Banking Sector Data - SAMR Chief on Future anti-Monopoly & Unfair Competition Action
- Xi's Long March Story - Li Preps for Coming Winter - Liu He on Financial System & Property Sector - FDI into China at $134.7 billion
China Law Translate
- Provisions on the Management of Internet User Account Name Information (Draft for Solicitation of Comments)
- PRC Civil Procedure Law (Draft Revisions) Pre/Post Revision Table
- Family Education Promotion Law
National People's Congress Observer
- NPCSC Adopts New Laws on Family Education and Land Borders, Amends Audit Law & Authorizes New Regulatory and Military Reforms
- NPC Standing Committee Authorizes Property Tax Pilots (with Translation of the Authorization)
- NPCSC Seeks Public Comments on Bills on Anti-Monopoly, Telecom Fraud, Organization of Local People’s Congresses and Governments, Sports, Futures and Derivatives & More
Society & Culture
Chaoyang Trap House
- Hong Kong’s colonial system is still intact
- Navigating (self)censorship in China’s Feminist and #MeToo movements
Hong Kong Free Press
- The dragon in the room: Tackling China’s pollution will be crucial at the COP26 climate summit
- That fact sheet on US interference in Hong Kong affairs – why now?
- Hong Kong’s witchfinders are making ‘national security’ an all-purpose offence
- What’s behind the spike in Chinese incursions into Taiwan’s air defence zone?
- Strategic Focus Areas for Taiwan’s Burgeoning Domestic Space Industry
- The Structural Causes Of The Worst Fire In The History Of Kaohsiung
- Colonial Racial Science and Taiwan: How Indigenous Peoples Became Anatomy Data Points. Part II
- 加强网络文明建设 共筑美好精神家园
Full list of sources scanned:
China Neican, Reading the China Dream, Made in China Journal, China Heritage, China Media Project, China Leadership Monitor, China Brief, Project Syndicate, Australian Financial Review, China Story, ChinaFile, War on the Rocks, Lawfare, The Interpreter, East Asia Forum, China Opinion, China Collection, China Dialogue, Pearls and Irritations, The Strategist, Echo Wall, Asialink Insight, Palladium, Inside Story, Foreign Affairs, Monkey Cage, The Atlantic, The Economist, Los Angeles Review of Books, Sixth Tone, Quartz, China Digital Times, The Conversation, National Review, Internationale Politik Quarterly, The Intercept, The Wire China, SupChina, ThinkChina, The Diplomat, Foreign Policy, MacroPolo, Center for Advanced China Research, Pew Research Center, Congressional Research Service, Center for Strategic and International Studies, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, Center for Security and Emerging Technology, MERICS, Institut Montaigne, European Council on Foreign Relations, National Bureau of Asian Research, Brookings Institution, U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission, China Data Lab, Rhodium Group, Asia Society, Australia-China Relations Institute, China Research Group, Center for New American Security, Chicago Council on Global Affairs, Chatham House, Lowy Institute, Atlantic Council, Observer Research Foundation, Australia Strategic Policy Institute, Politico China Watcher, Politico China Direct, The India China Newsletter, Beijing to Britain, Beijing to Canberra and Back, World Game, Eye on China, The Upheaval, Beijing Baselines, ChinaTalk, Pekingnology, Takshashila PLA Insight, Tracking People's Daily, Beijing Channel, Protocol | China, Chinese Storytellers, Chinarrative, Texas National Security Review, China Law Translate, China Trade Monitor, National People's Congress Observer, What's on Weibo, Chaoyang Trap House, RADII, Paper Republic, Lausan, Hong Kong Free Press, Taiwan Insight, 中国：历史与未来, 爱思想, 《求是》, 中国现代国际关系研究院, 中央党史和文献研究院, 习近平系列重要讲话数据